Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,949,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I've said it's tragic and don't defend him. I was just wondering if he has issues with technology, that is not trivializing, it would be a serious problem in today's world. Reeves clearly has issues.

Oulson had issues, maturity being one. He didn't deserve to die. How he handled this should not be defended, the guy was forty something and had a family. He didn't deserve to be shot dead for being an immature bully. But that is how he behaved and maybe we learn from it but only if we can admit it.
How was he a bully?

A bully tries to control others.

The person trying to control others was Mr Reeves.

A bully uses force and violence to enforce his will.

The person who used force was Mr Reeves.

The texter was a jerk for mocking the bully. But he wasn't the bully in this scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,593,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You forgot this:

Throwing popcorn in the faces of 71 year old people.
You forgot this. That act is not worthy of the death penalty. The 71 year old was apparently unfit to carry a gun. He killed someone, remember?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,323,412 times
Quote:
Apparently you missed the little but important fact that phones are not to be used in the auditorium. Period. And who said anything about DEMANDING? Demanding? Talk about silly...........Keep adding silly words to the story. It turns the whole thing into a comedy when people make up stuff as they go along.
Who cares what was said about cell phones in the auditorium? Is it Mr. Reeves job to enforce this rule? If I see someone run a stop light, should I shoot them because they broke the law? It doesn't matter if he asked, demanded, or whatever, he had no right to kill someone over texting. How crazy!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,251,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
He's probably not a CCW permit holder...

That's the point.
Quote:
Curtis Reeves Jr., the retired Tampa police captain accused of killing a man at the Cobb Grove 16 Theatre, had a permit to carry a concealed weapon, according to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, but taking the gun into the movie violated a Cobb Theatres policy.
Wesley Chapel theater shooting suspect had concealed weapon permit

Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,720,038 times
Quote:
Ooh, please. Talk about obtuse.

Asking someone to not text is not picking a fight. Throwing popcorn into someone's face is.

Don't you feel silly now?
I'm sure the DA and the Judge who refused to grant him bail are also lying. The Judge made some unusually strong statements in the plea hearing, which is rare. People appear to have been mislead by the Zimmerman verdict in to thinking they're the law. The Zimmerman verdict was an anomaly. It is much more like that it will turn out like the case between neighbors in Texas, where another coward with a gun through he would walk by claiming "I was afraid".

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 01-15-2014, 05:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,291,099 times
Did he really have a CCP, or was he permitted to concealed carry under LEOSA?

If he was carrying under LEOSA, he fulfills the requirement of that report...

Quote:
had a permit to carry a concealed weapon
He would have, if he had his former department's issued ID, and a current certification. That is a "permit", it's not a State Issued civilian CCP, but it's a concealed weapon permit.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM

19,759 posts, read 12,319,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
With all due respect, the article does not say that the victim stood first, it says that he stood. Since the shooter was just returning from complaining to the manager, it is quite probable that he was already standing.

Retired Fla. officer Curtis Reeves tells moviegoer to stop texting, then fatally shoots him, police say | NOLA.com
So? Oulson still stood up. Why, if not to confront? Then he asked if he went to tell on him, or something to that effect. So stupid.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,759,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Who cares what was said about cell phones in the auditorium? Is it Mr. Reeves job to enforce this rule? If I see someone run a stop light, should I shoot them because they broke the law? It doesn't matter if he asked, demanded, or whatever, he had no right to kill someone over texting. How crazy!
Think about it....if you spent your life as a cop, you're going to tend to think it is. Anybody would - as a cop or an ex-cop.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,593,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Think about it....if you spent your life as a cop, you're going to tend to think it is. Anybody would - as a cop or an ex-cop.
Then perhaps one should leave one's gun at home if they cannot shake that mindset.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:01 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,759,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Then perhaps one should leave one's gun at home if they cannot shake that mindset.
I've stated that previously multiple times. I'm defending only the challenging - verbally - of of an annoying individual. It needs to happen more often - much more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies