Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Soooo..........we should blow up an entire system for the problems of the 20%, instead of addressing the problems of the 20%? THAT is why there is so much venom being spewed at Obama. Instead of doing the right thing and addressing the % of the people that needed to be addressed, he chose the nuclear option. When 80% are happy, it's not time to blow the entire system up.

With Obamacare, medical bankruptcies will still happen, but they'll be based on the fact that people cannot afford the deductible/OOP maximums in calendar years. And the flip side of Obamacare is that there will be a brand-new class of "uninsureds" -- those that cannot afford the premiums, and drop the coverage.

As someone who is likely older than you, I'm happy to hear that you are involved and aware, because sadly, not everyone is. Capitalism has raised the standard of living for untold millions of people around the globe, but I will not dispute there is a dark side, as there is with anything.

What do you feel is truly going on, and how will you set about to change it?
He/she is involved and aware? Well it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Finally, they're getting it. For the majority of people, brainwashing doesn't last.

Only the under 40 crowd voted in the majority for O in 2012.

Dems are done for quite awhile.
Yep. Obama won only the 18-44 age group. The Dem straight party line Obamacare screws the self-supporting members of that demographic. Don't think they won't notice that working hard and supporting themselves and their families gets them screwed, while others not only have no obligation whatsoever to support themselves but they also get free or very low-cost Obamacare.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
You would be surprised what goes on inside the minds of "young voters".

I have two college-aged kids, and while being incredibly bright in school, they lack the understanding of political issues that is typical of young adults. They both voted for Obama in 2012, but didn't believe that he was lying about Obamacare (or that he lies as much as he does). They have the typical RSS-fed existence of a college kid, and save their critical thinking for their classes (thankfully).

Young people lack the depth of experience to understand how a lie like "Obamacare" is going to impact them, so if it IS delivered by someone who appears slick, packaged, and cool, they'll bite. Admittedly, there is nothing remotely "cool" about Obama, from his Kate Moss-like physique to his Mom jeans, but he is likely one of the top 3 liars of all time, and sometimes that's all you need.

I mentor groups of college kids as part of my job, and have done so since 2000. They share a lot of common traits, but one of the main ones is that they don't harness the power of the Internet to get all sides of the story. They don't really understand things like media bias, political influence, influence of lobbyists, or long-term consequences. The ones I have been in contact with often pick one or two news sources and stick with it, never aware of the bias that is being fed to them. And these are bright college graduates, so you can imagine the "mind control" you can gain on low-information types.

This may be the case in the majority of young voters (or voters of any age for that matter) but it is most certainly not true for everyone.

I admit that I was swept up in campaigning Obama's lies in 2008 at age 22 but I stopped supporting Obama in 2009 as soon as it became clear that his administration was intent to use his perceived character and hope/change philosophy as a sly way to continue all of the wars and disastrous policies of the Bush administration without any of the opposition from Democrats (and controlled opposition in the case of Republicans).

Some of us see through the charade of puppet Presidents and politicians and two party dominance.
Hardly any twenty something identifies as a Democrat or Republican anymore.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Can't say I blame them. Though it's unfortunate they didn't tap into their critical thinking skills sooner.
They had to learn the hard way.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
You would be surprised what goes on inside the minds of "young voters".

I have two college-aged kids, and while being incredibly bright in school, they lack the understanding of political issues that is typical of young adults. They both voted for Obama in 2012, but didn't believe that he was lying about Obamacare (or that he lies as much as he does). They have the typical RSS-fed existence of a college kid, and save their critical thinking for their classes (thankfully).

Young people lack the depth of experience to understand how a lie like "Obamacare" is going to impact them, so if it IS delivered by someone who appears slick, packaged, and cool, they'll bite. Admittedly, there is nothing remotely "cool" about Obama, from his Kate Moss-like physique to his Mom jeans, but he is likely one of the top 3 liars of all time, and sometimes that's all you need.

I mentor groups of college kids as part of my job, and have done so since 2000. They share a lot of common traits, but one of the main ones is that they don't harness the power of the Internet to get all sides of the story. They don't really understand things like media bias, political influence, influence of lobbyists, or long-term consequences. The ones I have been in contact with often pick one or two news sources and stick with it, never aware of the bias that is being fed to them. And these are bright college graduates, so you can imagine the "mind control" you can gain on low-information types.
Again this kind of generalization is basically what is going to screw the GOP in the long run. As the article shows young voters may be moving away from the Democrats because of issues, but they aren't going to the GOP. Almost everyone who does vote generally has some logical reason for doing so, beyond X is cool.

The right could learn a bit from the evangelicals who for years have try to respond to a secular trend among young people by making church "hip" and "cool" often meeting with little or no success.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:18 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Like myself. I supported the Republican Party all of my life. Worked in Urban School and saw that most of the things Republican supporters said about the poor were not just wrong, they were blatant lies. I changed my views and haven't looked back.
And I saw what Democrats were saying, going after high income people and calling them the rich was a lie. I am no longer a Democrat because of Obama misleading the American people with his lies.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Again this kind of generalization is basically what is going to screw the GOP in the long run. As the article shows young voters may be moving away from the Democrats because of issues, but they aren't going to the GOP.
Refusing to vote would be just as damaging to the Dems. They can't win without a huge differential in that age group.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This is the perfect example of the low information/no information voter who elected Obama. How does it feel to live in an echo chamber where your knowledge of what's going on in the country and world is fueled by gross ignorance and asinine liberal talking points? It's alarming that these people actually vote. They are clearly part of the problem.

GOP member offers ObamaCare repeal, replace bill | TheHill

Repeal and Replace the Job-Destroying Health Care Law - A Pledge to America - GOP.gov
Oh god. More of the Republican tort reform nonsense. With all the healthcare fraud in this country and you all want to save money in our healthcare system by taking away the patients ability to sue their doctor who very may have mutilated them for no need.

The only thing I like about this plan proposed is that is does have a provision in place stating that insurance companies cannot deny for pre-existing conditions. However, without something in place, such as a forced mandate, for healthy people to enroll, then this will put insurance companies in the a situation of severe adverse selection and premiums would skyrocket.

America's healthcare system was never going to be fixed without extensive government involvement. That is the fact of the matter.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Posts such as this reek of lack of longevity, productivity and willingness to do the hard work in life. Human rights, fairness, my asp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Welp, Republicans offered no alternatives to Obamacare. They still offer no alternatives to Obamacare. They just preach repealing it.

I am happy that you had a health insurance plan that covered your expenses. Nearly 20% of Americans did not and had no way of getting one and it was the leading cause of bankruptcy in the country.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Refusing to vote would be just as damaging to the Dems. They can't win without a huge differential in that age group.
That is probably true, 2010 was not because folks wanted the Republicans, so much as Democrats were upset and didn't vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies