Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:37 PM

62,925 posts, read 29,119,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Patriotism and loyalty to a country is deeper than a flag. Like I said, I wouldn't fly it upside either, but to each their own.
Yes, it does go deeper than that but to fly our flag upside shows contempt for our country. I say anyone who does that should leave our country and don't let the door hit you in the behind when you leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
I think it's time we as a country had a conversation about freedom of speech control. The 1st Amendment was written long before anyone could have envisioned the world we live in today. Reasonable restrictions are something we should all come together about right? Nobody needs unlimited freedom of speech.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I think it's time we as a country had a conversation about freedom of speech control. The 1st Amendment was written long before anyone could have envisioned the world we live in today. Reasonable restrictions are something we should all come together about right? Nobody needs unlimited freedom of speech.
If those protestors stood on that corner with no one physically reacting to them...why would there need to be any restrictions to their protest if they followed all assembly requirements?

What has casued you to come to your conclusion? How did the video allow you to come to your conclusion?...If it were not for the video, you would have not even known of the demonstration.

You are asking that we limit free speech based on a video?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
If those protestors stood on that corner with no one physically reacting to them...why would there need to be any restrictions to their protest if they followed all assembly requirements?

What has casued you to come to your conclusion? How did the video allow you to come to your conclusion?...If it were not for the video, you would have not even known of the demonstration.

You are asking that we limit free speech based on a video?
Why can't we have a rational conversation about limiting free speech? Our founding fathers could have never envisioned things like cell phone cameras, Youtube and the internet so there's no way the 1st Amendment should be taken literally today. Reasonable restrictions won't affect anyone, you'll still have your freedom of speech just with a few restrictions.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
. I'm on the vet's side. Just because you have the right to disrespect the flag doesn't mean you should and can't be called out for it. Freedom of speech works both ways.
Ehm - the vet didn't stop at speech, did he? If your arguments can't win the day, you can't just resort to fists.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think that's taking so-called freedom of speech too far.
So - freedom of speech doesn't extend to unpopular opinions? Then what good is it?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Good grief no, we need free speech more than ever. Sorry government is made up of half whits and criminals and cannot be trusted to determine "reasonable ( lol) speech". Its depressing anyone should want it to.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM

62,925 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So - freedom of speech doesn't extend to unpopular opinions? Then what good is it?
As I said, if one doesn't like this country then leave it and that will make a statement on its own. Desacrating our flag to make a statement/opinion instead IMO is not acceptable.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I said, if one doesn't like this country then leave it and that will make a statement on its own. Desacrating our flag to make a statement/opinion instead IMO is not acceptable.
It's a bit of an a-hole move, but does it merit a violent response?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:42 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,382 times
Funny the wimpering nuttless fraidy cats turn into when confronted

LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies