Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They never have worked and instead it just becomes about funneling public money into religious schools to indoctrinate children with primitive superstitions. It should be if YOU want to indoctrinate your children in religious nonsense then YOU pay for it and stop demanding MY tax dollars. Especially since I don't agree with your religious beliefs so I shouldn't be made to pay to support them.
PARENTS, not you, should be able to choose the education their children receive.
It's their tax dollars too you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Frank one thing I think is imperative we do as a nation is educate our children but we need some major changes in how we do that. I don't see it as welfare and certainly vouchers are no different than public schools. You're paying for the student one way or the other. It's funny the OP mentions accountability because if there is one thing vouchers do is make the schools accountable to the parents.
Who holds parents responsible?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nobody. Can't you see that ?
The rest of us seem to have taken over parenting via our social institutions.
And if the kids fail..well we don't blame the parents or the kids. Instead the blame is placed on lack of more money.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
That question could be applied to public or private school students however I think it's safe to say people who send their kids to private school are taking a greater interest in their kids education. Vouchers are not going to fix all the problems with education especially if the student lives in poor home environment however there is certainly many students with responsible parents that are left with no choice but to send their kids to a really bad school. If you're providing the opportunity for one student to blossom in a better school environment I'll call it a success.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Generally I would enter a contract before paying someone that much, and usually they would want a contract to protect them against certain liabilities.

I would simply take them to court if broke the terms of the contract. Isn't that what most people do when they are ripped off with large amounts of money?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Instead the blame is placed on lack of more money.
Ever read about what they did in Kansas City in the 80's into the 90's?

Quote:
http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...pdf/pa-298.pdf

The $250 million cost was a staggering amount in a district
whose normal budget was $125 million a year. But that was
only the start. By the time he recused himself from the
case in March 1997, Clark had approved dozens of increases,
bringing the total cost of the plan to over $2 billion--$1.5
billion from the state and $600 million from the school
district (largely from increased property taxes).

With that money, the district built 15 new schools and
renovated 54 others. Included were nearly five dozen magnet
schools, which concentrated on such things as computer
science, foreign languages, environmental science, and
classical Greek athletics. Those schools featured such
amenities as an Olympic-sized swimming pool with an underwa-
ter viewing room; a robotics lab; professional quality
recording, television, and animation studios; theaters; a
planetarium; an arboretum, a zoo, and a 25-acre wildlife
sanctuary; a two-floor library, art gallery, and film stu-
dio; a mock court with a judge's chamber and jury delibera-
tion room; and a model United Nations with simultaneous
translation capability.

By the time Judge Clark took himself off the case in
March 1997, he was a deeply frustrated man. For more than
20 years he had devoted 20 percent of his time as a judge to
the Kansas City case.
And despite all the effort he had
made to order the plan, fund the plan, and keep the plan on
track--often in the face of intense opposition from the very
people he was trying to help--the plan wasn't working. The
number of white suburban students attracted to the district
by all the new magnet schools was less than 10 percent of
the number that Clark had expected.
Year after year the
test scores would come out, the achievement levels would be
no higher than before, and the black-white gap (one-half a
standard deviation on a standard bell curve) would be no
smaller.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
They never have worked and instead it just becomes about funneling public money into religious schools to indoctrinate children with primitive superstitions. It should be if YOU want to indoctrinate your children in religious nonsense then YOU pay for it and stop demanding MY tax dollars. Especially since I don't agree with your religious beliefs so I shouldn't be made to pay to support them.
I attended a Catholic school through the end of 7th grade. This school did not teach science. Nor was there physical ed or the arts. We did however attend mass 7 days a week and were required to attend all funeral masses. Many days we spent the entire day sitting in church. There were no classes during holy week and we spent the entire time sitting in church.

When we transferred to public school the transcript contained grades for Science.

This happened many years ago and is not a reflection of all private faith bases education.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That question could be applied to public or private school students however I think it's safe to say people who send their kids to private school are taking a greater interest in their kids education. Vouchers are not going to fix all the problems with education especially if the student lives in poor home environment however there is certainly many students with responsible parents that are left with no choice but to send their kids to a really bad school. If you're providing the opportunity for one student to blossom in a better school environment I'll call it a success.
Exactly. Every +1 is a win.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I attended a Catholic school through the end of 7th grade. This school did not teach science. Nor was there physical ed or the arts. We did however attend mass 7 days a week and were required to attend all funeral masses. Many days we spent the entire day sitting in church. There were no classes during holy week and we spent the entire time sitting in church.

When we transferred to public school the transcript contained grades for Science.

This happened many years ago and is not a reflection of all private faith bases education.
I don't know about where you live but the Catholic schools in my area provide an excellent education. There was a small school not far from me what was graduating 100% of their students and 90% of them were going onto graduate from a school of higher learning and many of those kids were going to some of the best Universities in the country.

They had to close it because of a lack of enrollment and that's a shame.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I went to Catholic school as well and had a complete different experience.
We did have science and PE every day as well as art.
We didn't spend our days in Church.

Your experience sounds more like a monastery experience rather than a parochial school experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies