Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They have to meet the same academic standards as public schools.
SAT/ACT scores from students in private/charter schools are at or above public school scores.
These kids are getting into college.

The proof is there that they are meeting and exceeding the bar.

If these schools don't produce good scores then parents will pull their kids out.
Private schools have a lot more to lose by slacking.
Public schools cry about needing more money when slacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 07:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,281,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Vouchers clearly work... your example is something that sounds criminal....
not criminal, it was a failed business model. It sounds like government failed once again to do their job to make sure those they entered into business, could perform their contract..

Its more of a failure of government, than vouchers..

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,281,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SAT/ACT scores from students in private/charter schools are at or above public school scores.
These kids are getting into college.

The proof is there that they are meeting and exceeding the bar.
yes but that could easily be because the parents are more involved, i.e. spending money out of pocket thus they make sure the kids are being educated, or that the school can pick and choose who to take.
Quote:
If these schools don't produce good scores then parents will pull their kids out.
Private schools have a lot more to lose by slacking.
Public schools cry about needing more money when slacking.
Agreed. Even if the private schools can pick and choose what students to take, and they take out the best students, this leaves the public schools in a position to better deal with the students left that "arent so smart"..

I understand why unions have a vested interested in keeping as many public students as possible, but I will never understand why parents want to hold other kids down who are lacking financial means to attend private schools, but capable of excelling. I'll further never understand why those who pay taxes, but dont have children oppose plans that reduce the tax liabilities, while producing better results..

Old 01-20-2014, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times
Quote:
yes but that could easily be because the parents are more involved, i.e. spending money out of pocket thus they make sure the kids are being educated, or that the school can pick and choose who to take.

Agreed. Even if the private schools can pick and choose what students to take, and they take out the best students, this leaves the public schools in a position to better deal with the students left that "arent so smart"..

I understand why unions have a vested interested in keeping as many public students as possible, but I will never understand why parents want to hold other kids down who are lacking financial means to attend private schools, but capable of excelling. I'll further never understand why those who pay taxes, but dont have children oppose plans that reduce the tax liabilities, while producing better results..
Propaganda and brainwashing.
Repeat something enough times and people come to believe it.

Teacher unions have nothing good to say about private/charter schools because it takes away $$$$ from them.

It's all about the money. It always is.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,356,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Frank one thing I think is imperative we do as a nation is educate our children but we need some major changes in how we do that. I don't see it as welfare and certainly vouchers are no different than public schools. You're paying for the student one way or the other. It's funny the OP mentions accountability because if there is one thing vouchers do is make the schools accountable to the parents.
As long as schools receiving vouchers are required to administer state-mandated tests to their students (under the same rigid testing conditions) and make the results public, I'm OK with vouchers.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 AM

5,737 posts, read 3,271,205 times
we are already headed there.
Public school kids come out and don't know how to basic math, hand write or read a clock because
"the computer can do it for me". Now we have Obama forcing "Core" onto all schools which is another disaster in itself.

Quote:
You have people that don't even feed their kids with SNAP so we have to feed them in school.
And you think they will pay to educate them ?

The poor have 3x as many kids as middle class.
50% of all babies born in the US are on medicaid.

End government funded education and this nation will sink into 3rd world status in less than a decade.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:52 AM

alot of cities need more police. Philly is a good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If we don't do something about this, more of our tax dollars will be spent on police, public defenders, and prisons.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,119,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Absolutely not. There are kids easily reading at the 6-8th grade level in 1st and 2nd grade. Explain how those kids get much of anything out of the 1st and 2nd grade curriculum.
First off you show me some stats that there are kids reading at the 6-8th grade level in 1st and 2nd grade, b/c frankly, I don't believe it. Certainly there are not very many kids doing that.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
it also has to do with dicipline. Private schools are not bound to the stupid guidelines like the public schools are. If there is a disruptive student in the classroom, the kid is immediately removed unlike public schools where the teacher has to play psychiatrist and get the disruptive kid to behave taking time away from the other students.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM

89,507 posts, read 45,198,773 times
Quote:
I will never understand why parents want to hold other kids down who are lacking financial means to attend private schools, but capable of excelling.
I'll never understand that, either. And it's not just some parents insisting on holding kids down. It's the overwhelming preference of a certain political party to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies