Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with being a Tea Party supporter... but when you are doing a play and do a commercial holding a dog while yapping about how scary things are these days you open yourself up to be fired or let go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
I had to look her up. I remember her in a few movies long ago. I think she's pulling a Stacey Dash hoping to get more acting roles. It won't help her as it didn't help Dash.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I had to look her up. I remember her in a few movies long ago. I think she's pulling a Stacey Dash hoping to get more acting roles. It won't help her as it didn't help Dash.
The worst portrayal of a 'chola" ever....Colors (1988).

Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you'd actually bothered to read anything you'd know it's San Francisco but don't let the facts muddle a good whine, eh?
"Hollywood" means the entertainment industry, not physically Hollywood.

Its well documented that Conservatives are actively discriminated against in entertainment, which is why the left-wing controls our pop culture -- they won't let anyone else in who might disagree with them or disrupt the Liberal=good/Conservative=bad worldview.

The only way to make it in Hollywood as a Conservative is to conceal your political beliefs and nod along with the collective. Established actors like Bruce Willis and Clint Eastwood are too entrenched to get rid of, but struggling or young actors don't have a chance if their political allegiance is discovered. Their agents won't even submit them because once people know who you're a Republican, you can't even get auditions.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post

Its well documented that Conservatives are actively discriminated against in entertainment, which is why the left-wing controls our pop culture -- they won't let anyone else in who might disagree with them. The only way to make it in Hollywood as a Conservative is to conceal your political beliefs and nod along with the collective. Established actors like Bruce Willis and Clint Eastwood are too entrenched to get rid of, but struggling or young actors don't have a chance if their political allegiance is discovered. Their agents won't even submit them because once people know who you're a Republican, you can't even get auditions.
bs. the rock is in everything right now and is a registered republican.

washington supports obama, but wear his christian religion on his sleeve, i believe even does some pastor work.

this is an employee-employer situation similar to duck dynasty.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
She was going to be in a Spanish language version of a play. Right or wrong, the Latino community was up in arms over her very public anti-immigration stand. Since the play was physically taking place in the middle of the Mission District, which is heavily Latino, and the playgoers would most likely also be Latino, in addition to the fact she was fired by a Latino, this may have also been a business decision. The play would most likely have been boycotted and possibly picketed by the angry Latino community. Who needs politics messing with their production?

I worked at a heavily Republican law firm. One of the attorneys ran for public office as a Democrat and ended up leaving the firm as the clients were also heavily conservative. We were also sent emails on various occasions advising us how to vote (which apparently is not illegal). The Koch brothers threatened to fire people if they voted for Obama or even expressed a favorable opinion of him. So, this is not new--just publicized by the right-wing due to her minor celebrity. Hard to believe she would even be surprised.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
bs. the rock is in everything right now and is a registered republican.

washington supports obama, but wear his christian religion on his sleeve, i believe even does some pastor work.

this is an employee-employer situation similar to duck dynasty.
The Rock was also the biggest grossing star of 2013. He was already popular by the time his political leanings became known, so he's one that's among the "too entrenched" to be able to shun.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Many who I personally know are liberal because of Jon Stewart and their Marxist professors.
So you have friends who are highly susceptible to being influenced. I often wonder why those kids weren't raised by their parents to think for themselves.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Check Out the Tea Party Ad That Cost a Hispanic Actress Her Job | Independent Journal Review co-actress-shut-entertainment-industry/

''A famous Hispanic actress has been blacklisted from San Francisco’s acting scene after appearing in a campaign ad for Tim Donnelly, a Tea Party favorite who is seeking the Republican nomination for governor of California.''

''The actress was to perform next month at the Brava Theater Center in San Francisco’s Mission District in a Spanish-language version of “The Vagina Monologues,” scheduled for a run from February 14th through 17th. The show is being produced by none other than Eliana Lopez, wife of San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi.''

“We really cannot have her in the show, unfortunately,” Lopez told KPIX 5. She said Alonso abruptly resigned from the cast on Friday, given the backlash on the immigration issue.

“Of course she has the right to say whatever she wants. But we’re in the middle of the Mission. Doing what she is doing is against what we believe,” Lopez said.

Wether you like or dislike the Tea Party, it doesn't matter. No one shouldlose ytheir job and be barred from working in an industry they love just because they have a different opinion. Anyone who still doesn't think Hollywood is liberally dominant and discriminates against conservatives needs to look no further than here. For a group who believes in being tolerantab open mminde , they seem to be the exact opposite.
So - she wasn't blacklisted, she wasn't fired, and this has nothing to do with Hollywood. Apart from that, nice summary of the facts.

I know it's very important for the Right to somehow establish a moral equivalency to the despicable acts performed by those who shaped your ideology back in the 50s, but the fact remains that people who were actually blacklisted didn't take part in TV commercials telling how great Communism was. This particular fool decided on her own to put her face out there in an ad that she must have known would anger a good part of her audience. Bad career move.

I may or may not have some pretty harsh ideas regarding the MPAA and the way it enforces copyright, but seeing as I work for a movie studio, I am not going to be art of a political ad designed to undermine the MPAA's legislative initiatives, because that would be stupid and my employer would be well within their rights to let me go.

As for famous, well - this exemplifies why the word "famous" was banned from the BBC for the longest time as being "either superfluous or untrue". Her main cinematic achievement appears to be eye candy in Running Man, 1987. Her most steady TV gig is a more recent soap opera called "Saints and Sinners". Nothing wrong with that, many actors have done far worse - but it's a stretch to call her famous.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Hollywood is a bit of a broad term, but a two-bit theatrical performance 500 miles away? You may as well use "Broadway", at least that would get the media right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies