Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Substantive can be a lot of things-not even going after specifics, but at least hitting the broad story.

Sorry but this was horrid. The entire speech felt so artificial and unrelated. If you want to claim that this was great, and representative of the GOP's ability to accomplish things, then you're saying that the GOP is doomed.

And I can almost guarantee she made the daily show. Heck the fact that she looks almost identical to a younger Mrs Bush will do it (no joke..its kinda creepy)
I'm still unclear as to what exactly you were expecting. We knew she was a woman, so we knew she would say womanly/motherly things in a cynical attempt to attract female voters to the GOP. There was a highly conspicuous family photo right behind her.

We also knew she would cough up some warm anti-Obama talking points. We got baloney about Obamacare, plus a detail-free anecdote about a mythical Spokane character whose insurance premiums supposedly skyrocketed.

Of course we didn't get specifics about a Republican alternative to Obamacare because they have no alternative -- to that or anything else.

Again, what did you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Most people my age (Young to mid 20's) of either political stance didn't really like it.
It might have been horrible but you have no clue whether this is true or not. I don't know why people do this and think it's impressive or isn't simply dismissed.

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
I'd like to see proof that her minimum wage McDonalds job helped her pay for that college..

HOwever, we all know min wage is worth 20% less today than it was decades ago.. and that college education also has a significantly higher cost than it did then too..
well let me tell you, our daughter worked for a food chain (min wage) her first semester in college and yes, it did help put her through. After that she worked for a very popular Calif amusement park at 50 cents an hour over min wage. yes, there are those who do help with their expenses making min wage while they are in school. what would you like her to have done, flashed a payroll sheet on the screen? did she ever say, it paid all her college expenses? of course she didn't!! I think the person who said you would not have been impressed with any Republican rebuttal was right on, don't you?

9,617 posts, read 6,062,152 times
If your point is correct, then

Wouldn't more focus on Inoye - it was Inoye's life, his contributions, his life'smeaning - been appropriate?
" At Inoye's funeral, Obama mentioned himself 63 times."

When President's speak, isn't a focus on leading the country, program's to make it better, more appropriate then constant me me me? "In his first 41 speeches as president, Obama mentioned himself 1,198 times."

Who was being eulogised here? At Mandela's funeral, Obama mentioned himself more than he mentioned Mandela - during his tribute to Mandela.

Uhmmm, Moon's points about who Obama speaks about and of are point. Eulogies are for honoring the deceased. Speaking to the country is about the country and it's needs, not me, me, me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Uhmmm was there a rebuttal on policy required in those speeches?

Old 01-29-2014, 11:42 AM

577 posts, read 435,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well let me tell you, our daughter worked for a food chain (min wage) her first semester in college and yes, it did help put her through. After that she worked for a very popular Calif amusement park at 50 cents an hour over min wage. yes, there are those who do help with their expenses making min wage while they are in school. what would you like her to have done, flashed a payroll sheet on the screen? did she ever say, it paid all her college expenses? of course she didn't!! I think the person who said you would not have been impressed with any Republican rebuttal was right on, don't you?
IT helped her have pocket money for food..

It didn't pay for tuition
It didn't pay for books
It didin't pay for room and board.. LOL.. that's laughable.

I'm not saying don't work while you go to college.. My brothers worked at McDees too while going to college at minimum wage.. it gave them pocket money... maybe some living money.. it didn't come even CLOSE to paying their college tuition - bot hare saddled with massive debt.

Me.. I'll have a $60K to pay back when I'm done this March...

Old 01-29-2014, 11:45 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Quote:
Lib talking points..

Its freaking reality buddy.

Okay, I'm not your buddy. Your POV doesn't matter to me, but it is embarrassing for you.

Who the hell can put themselves through college on $7.00 an hour..

She didn't say that job put her through college. She said she started saving her money.

Stop buying into the Right wing fantasy that the minimum wage is just fine.

Minimum wage might get tweaked, but it is not a ticket to middle class.
Problem is, we raise it too much and we get inflation, so the effect is nil.

I'd liek to see what her college bill was, how much she made at McDees and compare how the hell that "job" helped her pay for her education!

I bet you would like to see lots of things, but it isn't going to happen. You seem angry. Why would how someone else paid for college be any of your business? Are you disputing that she could not have saved any money working at McD's to put toward college? Maybe she was very bright and earned scholarship money. Either way, what's your point?

She's a public figure.. she made the claim.. so freaking prove it. She won't because its BULL
Wow, what a can of worms. LOL

Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Quote:
IT helped her have pocket money for food..

It didn't pay for tuition
It didn't pay for books
It didin't pay for room and board.. LOL.. that's laughable.

I'm not saying don't work while you go to college.. My brothers worked at McDees too while going to college at minimum wage.. it gave them pocket money... maybe some living money.. it didn't come even CLOSE to paying their college tuition - bot hare saddled with massive debt.

Me.. I'll have a $60K to pay back when I'm done this March...

Too bad. Bad choices.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I'm still unclear as to what exactly you were expecting. We knew she was a woman, so we knew she would say womanly/motherly things in a cynical attempt to attract female voters to the GOP. There was a highly conspicuous family photo right behind her.

We also knew she would cough up some warm anti-Obama talking points. We got baloney about Obamacare, plus a detail-free anecdote about a mythical Spokane character whose insurance premiums supposedly skyrocketed.

Of course we didn't get specifics about a Republican alternative to Obamacare because they have no alternative -- to that or anything else.

Again, what did you expect?
I can think of 4-5 posters here that I argue with that could have given better responses then what was given. 1-2 of them could probably write a home run response to the SOTU address. This should have had a team of people who know exactly how to do this, instead I get something my 14 yr old could have put together.

I expected better.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Most people my age (Young to mid 20's) of either political stance didn't really like it. She seemed like a robot (That weird, almost permanent smile) and a lot of the hokey, mayberry things she said made people laugh.

I will not be surprised if the Daily Show covers it tonight. I think Stewart could have a field day with it.
That was my very first thought....that if you scratch some skin off, you'll see wires and flashing lights.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,373 times
Quote:
Why would how someone else paid for college be any of your business?
Oh, maybe because she put it in a speech on national TV in an attempt to imply she's an ordinary everywoman, rags to riches, bootstraps, yadda. I dunno. Help me out here.

Quote:
Maybe she was very bright and earned scholarship money.
Maybe she did. We'll never know because she didn't tell us that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies