Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM

87 posts, read 122,124 times

Advertisements

Are you guys talking about the tulsa race riot?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 PM

280 posts, read 350,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatchick118 View Post
Are you guys talking about the tulsa race riot?
I wasn't directly talking about the riots. Our generation knows it simply as the riots. That's the problem. The reason why the city was destroyed was because the citizens had decided to keep their money in that community.

It was known that the money circulated in the community many times over before it ever left. It's just the only example I know off the top of my head of black Americans keeping their dollars in their community at such a rate.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Don't you know most stats are crap especially in regards to Africa? Most stats are crap in general. I would like to know how they came up with that number. 1/3 out of how many people? It will be impossible for the majority of Africans to bleach because of the price it cost to bleach and to keep up with it. Does bleaching exist in Africa? Yes. It's not on the scale that they portray it out to be. A small portion of Africans bleach. The population of West Africa is probably around 300 million, maybe 2-10 million may bleach. It's a small portion.

Yeah, keep reading your stats on the internet like you know much about Africa

A BBC report said 1/3 of South African which is plausible as it is a very urban country.

Now if you don't like that data go scream at the BBC. The facts remain that millions of African women bleach and it is considered a major health problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I am not sure what you are talking about. Have you been to Africa? it may effect the African kids being brought up here. Many African countries have their own magazines, movies, models and ect.

Yes. Been to Senegal, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Kenya. Indeed the phenomenon is not new. African students who I knew in the late 70s spoke of the "Fanta" ladies, orange faces (like the Fanta drink then popular in Africa) and chocolate legs.

African women have become considerably more impacted by Western images since. Look at the models in many of those African magazines and you might note that they aren't the full figured females of 30 years ago. There is also pressure to adopt a more slimmer, less curvy body image, which might work among a certain kind of western black woman, who aren't pure African, but is unworkable among large numbers of sub Saharan women. Google who Africa now sends to Miss Universe.

Lucky thing that African men still like their women to be well developed, otherwise that would also be another problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Things don't have to occur in large numbers in order for it to catch the media's attention. Anything interesting or of shock value will do the trick. It's interesting how many pay more attention to the bleaching but can't go into detail of the top 50 under 30 years old young male and female African entrepreneurs who are doing big things in their respective countries. SMH

The BBC has come late to the party. Africans have been complaining about bleaching since the 1970s. With greater exposure to western images, a larger middle class who wish to look like modern urban women, and with higher purchasing power I can only imagine that its worse.

Do you have a vested interest in idealizing Africans? You ought to know that many carry serious baggage of colonialism, and the immensely negative image that Africa has, even among non African blacks. And the extreme dependence of much of that continent on European and US NGOs doesn't help their self esteem either.

And if you are African you definitely know about how many of its elites simply revere Europe.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
AGAIN we do it to look HEALTHY super white skin is washed out I would know . I wear an EXTREMELY dark foundation NC 42 leaves me looking dark like Rhihanna,

Here you are raising another dark/light skin convo. I choose to look darker coz I look HEALTHIER but do u look healthier when white? Nope so its for vanity reasons only so give it up!

greatchick is in denial. She ought to look at Indian personal ads to see how many demand that the prospective mate have a "wheat" color. A preference for light skin is embedded amongst Indians and cannot be blamed on the adverse impacts of colonialism, as one can argue is the case for Africans and the blacks in the Americas.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I

I am West African( I came to the U.S young), and when I visit back home the men who are exposed to western media emphasize skin complexion more so then the men who aren't exposed to it. My father never stepped foot in the city when he was coming up. He told me before that he never heard about light skin being more beautiful until he came to America. To not overly westernized african men country,tribe,culture, and ect is what matters most.

And you make my point. Its the people who are urban and more obsessed with being "modern" who will be impacted by these images, inclusive of looking like "western" black women. Which is exactly what I said.

I am not aware of any evidence that there was a pre colonial obsession with light skin among sub Saharan Africans as there is among many Asian groups.

I am also aware of the fact that in the 70s one could have with almost 100% certainty identified women who were African and who were Caribbean black. Its not that easy any more. And its not because Caribbean women have become more African.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Then what do you see as the solution for Black-Americans being able to maximize our ability to benefit from our One Trillion dollars is buying power? Do we just keep spending it primarily with non Blacks and let them reap the benefits of this money?

Stop dreaming and start being realistic. Black people aren't risk oriented, don't have a tradition in running businesses, are isolated from distribution chains, and lack capital. So they don't have the ability to suddenly open up all these businesses. We as a people are also highly individualistic, so lack the traditions of intra group cooperation that several Asian, Latin and Middle Eastern groups have.

Also don't wax romantic about the so called Caribbean susu because Caribbean retail businesses are losing ground. A drive around the commercial, strips on Flatbush Ave, Nostrand Ave, Utica Ave will show you this. Escalating rents and declining sales being the usual culprits. In addition the local population isn't going to support a business which cannot offer a broad choice, competitive prices, modern ambiences, etc., and will buy from those who are able to offer this.

People can go to forums, and those who have never run a business with a payroll (so not including independent consultants) will rant about what blacks "should do". I have heard this now for 20 years and am sick of it.

Blacks who have the ability, the desire, the capital, and the social/business connections to establish businesses are doing so. Very few of them have any patience for a "buy black" campaign. They wish to do business with any one who is a suitable potential client. While most will be blacks, they don't wish to be limited to that, and fear that other groups will use that to isolate these businesses from more lucrative opportunities.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
^

Ok then what is the alternative approach for Black-Americans being able to maximize our ability to benefit from our One Trillion is spending power? If you don't advocate us capturing those dollars through more Black owned businesses then how else do we utilize more of that Trillion for our benefit?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 AM

98 posts, read 117,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yes. Been to Senegal, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Kenya. Indeed the phenomenon is not new. African students who I knew in the late 70s spoke of the "Fanta" ladies, orange faces (like the Fanta drink then popular in Africa) and chocolate legs.

African women have become considerably more impacted by Western images since. Look at the models in many of those African magazines and you might note that they aren't the full figured females of 30 years ago. There is also pressure to adopt a more slimmer, less curvy body image, which might work among a certain kind of western black woman, who aren't pure African, but is unworkable among large numbers of sub Saharan women. Google who Africa now sends to Miss Universe.

Lucky thing that African men still like their women to be well developed, otherwise that would also be another problem.
I have to completely disagree with you here. I know a lot of full blooded African immigrants who are stick thin genetically and always complaining about lacking curves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies