Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

It seems that very few cruise ships employ lifeguards due to the cost and occasionally someone drowns and dies such as this 4 year old child (see link below). Do you think that there should be lifeguards on cruises? If you have child would you not consider a cruise due to the lack of lifeguards?

Child dies after being pulled from cruise ship's pool | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Most pools I go to do not have life guards. It's dependent on the size and depth of the pool if they are required I believe.

I am my child's own best life guard. If I am not in the water with them, I am on the edge of the pool watching.

I never get in a crowded pool, and wouldn't allow my kids to get in one.

My son, 10, swims like a fish now. Since he was 2, we had him swimming across the deep end of the pool by himself. My daughter has been slightly slower to it, but we will be working with her better this summer.

I don't care if there are life guards or not. I always act like they are not there.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The only way to know if you still have all the crew aboard is to hold a muster every morning. I remember the phrase as "All present or accounted for" every morning. If they couldn't account for the entire crew they were supposed to turn the ship around and look for the missing person.

Besides a life guard would be useless as most people would be so severely injured by the fall from a deck of a cruise ship that rescue alive is very doubtful. The sea is completely unforgiving of "carelessness, incapacity or neglect".

Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
While my deepest sympathy goes out to the family on the loss of their child... I have to ask... Where were the parent's or caregivers? A cruise ship is like a big giant floating city with the same dangers as such. Would you let a 4-year-old roam around a city unattended? Nope, I didn't think so...

Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only way to know if you still have all the crew aboard is to hold a muster every morning. I remember the phrase as "All present or accounted for" every morning. If they couldn't account for the entire crew they were supposed to turn the ship around and look for the missing person.

Besides a life guard would be useless as most people would be so severely injured by the fall from a deck of a cruise ship that rescue alive is very doubtful. The sea is completely unforgiving of "carelessness, incapacity or neglect".
Talking about having lifeguards for the on board swimming pools rather someone falling overboard which I agree for that situation (of falling into the sea) a lifeguard wouldn't be useful.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Talking about having lifeguards for the on board swimming pools rather someone falling overboard which I agree for that situation (of falling into the sea) a lifeguard wouldn't be useful.
I have never seen a lifeguard on a cruise ship.

You swim at your own risk, just as you would in your own pool at home.

I think small children have no business on cruises, anyway, but it is common these days for folks to do family cruising and Disney cashed in on that desire. I can't imagine trying to keep up with toddlers amongst all the confusion of a cruise ship. The embarkation process would be enough for me to be doubtful about managing several children on a cruise - that is no vacation for the parents, imo. It would just be too stressful for me but I see folks dragging kids (and often, leaving them and walking off, which is beyond my comprehension).

And nothing nastier than swimming in a pool or trying to chill in a spa when the Mommy Brigade arrives and dumps a kid in with a diaper (which isn't supposed to happen, but it does).

Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Parents are responsible for their children on cruise ships.

Where were the parents of these two kids?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
maybe instead of lifeguards....they should think more about nurses and health and safety people

too many people getting sick on these cruises

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Parents are responsible for their children on cruise ships.

Where were the parents of these two kids?

I agree. If you are going to bring your kids on a cruise, YOU should be watching them and saving them if they are drowning. The ships employees are not babysitters.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I agree. If you are going to bring your kids on a cruise, YOU should be watching them and saving them if they are drowning. The ships employees are not babysitters.
I agree....

but too many of these so-called parents think the ship is one big giant daycare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies