Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 AM

543 posts, read 943,980 times

Advertisements

I mean most first world nations hardly put so much emphasis on faith. I lived in Canada for two years. A country just north of the U.S and even the most conservative laws there are more liberal than the most liberal of American states. This thing called Faith....Jesus worship...How did it become so ingrained in the daily life of an average caucasian person(if we are going back in time)? After all the same immigrants took the boats from Europe and also landed in Australia and Canada.

I think this is the big weakness with the republican party. From what I understand(as an outsider) politics is usually about social and economic reforms. Economic reforms should be the main priority. But social causes is what catches the average person's attention.

By being anti homosexual rights these people come across as dinosaurs to the observer. Who cares if someone can get married lawfully in the church. Just don't attend those days. Pass the idea that you don't give a about gay rights and let them go ahead and pass it. Then see how the image transforms. And then head the campaign with your strengths. Don't they see that the liberals have this massive advantage. They are new, they are young and bold. That's where the young votes go.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-04-2014 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: language

Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Seriously? You're asking why a country that was founded by people who had been persecuted for their religion who desired religious freedom so much they risked their lives to go to a new country and start over is religious?

Acorns do not fall far from the tree.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:23 AM

21,145 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Maybe because we all haven't started worshiping our government yet.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I mean most first world nations hardly put so much emphasis on faith. I lived in Canada for two years. A country just north of the U.S and even the most conservative laws there are more liberal than the most liberal of American states. This thing called Faith....Jesus worship...How did it become so ingrained in the daily life of an average caucasian person(if we are going back in time)? After all the same immigrants took the boats from Europe and also landed in Australia and Canada.

I think this is the big weakness with the republican party. From what I understand(as an outsider) politics is usually about social and economic reforms. Economic reforms should be the main priority. But social causes is what catches the average person's attention.

By being anti homosexual rights these people come across as dinosaurs to the observer. Who cares if someone can get married lawfully in the church. Just don't attend those days. Pass the idea that you don't give a flying f##k about gay rights and let them go ahead and pass it. Then see how the image transforms. And then head the campaign with your strengths. Don't they see that the liberals have this massive advantage. They are new, they are young and bold. That's where the young votes go.
It's not religious, many people just pretend to be religious.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's not religious, many people just pretend to be religious.
Yet another remarkable occasion when I have to agree with you. I wish we truly were a Christian country.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Puritanical belief and founding.

Also because most Americans who claim to be religious, really aren't that religious.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I don't think most people are religious.

The religious ones are just obnoxiously loud.

And count me glad we are not a "christian" nation.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think most people are religious.

The religious ones are just obnoxiously loud.

And count me glad we are not a "christian" nation.
Except we are. 83% of Americans consider themselves Christian in this country. One thing the OP was completely wrong about though is that it is NOT just whites that are religious. In fact, blacks are more religious as a group than whites in this country.

Poll: Most Americans Say They're Christian - ABC News
Quote:
Eighty-three percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians. Most of the rest, 13 percent, have no religion. That leaves just 4 percent as adherents of all non-Christian religions combined — Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and a smattering of individual mentions
Quote:
Blacks, who are overwhelmingly Christian, are also more likely than whites to have any religion: Just 3 percent of blacks say they have no religion, compared to 13 percent of whites. ("No religion" includes people who describe their religion as atheist or agnostic.)

Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post

By being anti homosexual rights these people come across as dinosaurs to the observer. Who cares if someone can get married lawfully in the church. Just don't attend those days. Pass the idea that you don't give a flying f##k about gay rights and let them go ahead and pass it. Then see how the image transforms. And then head the campaign with your strengths. Don't they see that the liberals have this massive advantage. They are new, they are young and bold. That's where the young votes go.
This is a shinning example of arrant ignorance, moral bankruptcy and utter cluelessness.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
A famous visitor to our country made a very good observation regarding our "Christians"
Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians - you are not like him. - Mahatma Gandhi at BrainyQuote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies