Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM

804 posts, read 619,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In my expense column right below the light bill and taxes is labor. When my labor costs increase so does the cost of my product. The employye may be making $10 an hour but it's negated by the increase in what they are paying for products. Your simple fix is rendered irrelevant, if it were that simple we might as well pay everyone $100 an hour then we could all be rich!
Great. We all see you took Econ 101 but before you dazzle us with your wisdom any further why dont you first tell us how labor intensive is your product i.e. how much of the final cost is attributed to labor and then how many of your employees are being paid minimum wage? All of them? As far as I know the minimum wage workers comprise just 5% of total labor force.

Last edited by risotto11; 01-31-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 PM

804 posts, read 619,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does the eligibility being on a 3 or 6 month cycle, change neals point? Thats right, it doesnt..
The point is that the benefit eligibility is not calculated this way. Its calculated as per week within the last three months because there is no way to predict how many hours will the person work going forward. Is that clear now? Lol

Quote:
Tell me risotto, where will the money come from if not a raise in prices of goods? And dont tell me it will come from the billionaire owners because we all know thats a lie..
I don't know, maybe an increase in efficiency? Innovation? Most importantly it will only affect goods that are labor intensive and only those produced by minimum wage workers. That's about %5 of all employed in us condo my. Wow. Prices would triple, right?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
And what specific value would that be? Cane you Name it? You have no idea lol
Any fool can answer what value that would be

They are making me more money that the employee sitting next to them, tasked with doing the same exact job..

Tell me why I should pay them both the same when one is earning me more than the other? Your proposal that I pay them = will cause one to be fired.. Well done..
Quote:
I am pretty sure based on your comments that you never ever hired anyone or gave anybody a raise. I am not even sure you ever worked a day in your life.
There we go with another fact filled posting filled with "I'm sure"..
Quote:
No but economics is which I can't say about yourself.
Economics of "your sure".. yeah, thats so conforting..

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Except, the companies ARE paying the difference. Who do you think is paying for all these gubmint freebies that low wage workers collect? You, me, and all the businesses in this country, that's who. Scale back the middle man and pay the workers a little more. When workers cannot survive on what the jobs are paying, they will either demand higher pay, work an extra job or train/retrain for jobs that pay more.

I keep hearing conservatives bemoan the fact that minimum wage workers collect various entitlements. Simple fix... Pay them more. Duh!
And they will continue to pay if you increase the minimum wage and then the qualificiations to receive welfare increase as the cost of living adjusts to the newly inflated wage.. The only difference is now you have more people receiving welfare, and they are now paying extra.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
You probably missed the memo about hundred of thousands well paying jobs in manufacturing that went to china. The reality of 2014 is that many more people than ever before find themselves working in service industry. And no, not everybody is a college material and not everybody has parents who would pay for their education.
And your solution to fix this, is to raise the salaries even higher, thus exporting even more jobs..

And you said you are smart in economics.. I dont see any signs of that being true.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 PM

29,853 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Quote:
And they will continue to pay if you increase the minimum wage and then the qualificiations to receive welfare increase as the cost of living adjusts to the newly inflated wage.. The only difference is now you have more people receiving welfare, and they are now paying extra.
So then by your logic, we should be reducing or even eliminating minimum wage. Pretty soon, everyone will be making 3 bucks an hour and we will reach utopia!

The answer is not to mandate $100/hr minimum wage like many conservatives are rambling about. Just the same, the answer is not to abolish minimum wage. Minimum wage adjusted for inflation was higher 30 years ago. We could stand a slight boost. Nothing crazy, but it should be pegged to a certain point where they at least have a chance of affording the most modest of living standards.

The government has been bending over backwards for the mega almighty corps. They could at least meet the nation and it's tax payers half way. 1 in 5 Americans collecting food stamps... That's money outta my pocket, and yours too. Actually, it's money that doesn't even exist yet, because it's going on the infinite tab.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So then by your logic, we should be reducing or even eliminating minimum wage. Pretty soon, everyone will be making 3 bucks an hour and we will reach utopia!

The answer is not to mandate $100/hr minimum wage like many conservatives are rambling about. Just the same, the answer is not to abolish minimum wage. Minimum wage adjusted for inflation was higher 30 years ago. We could stand a slight boost. Nothing crazy, but it should be pegged to a certain point where they at least have a chance of affording the most modest of living standards.
Are you willing to work for $3 an hour? I know i"m not, and I have more faith in the americans to understand they arent either..

Henry Ford understood that if you increased wages you reduce turn over, and it allowed him to increase profits. His own personal greed created a valid reason to increase wages.

What makes you think the same isnt true in todays economy when the cost to train someone is far higher?

If we cut out all of the garbage welfare spending, (we spend over $1T a year on it), we could reduce taxes, and companies would return to the country employing the citizens which increases the demand for labor, thus requiring an increase in salary, rather than decreases.

Your myth of $3 an hour wages is ridiculous and not based upon reality. If there was any factual scenario that people would work for $3 an hour, we wouldnt have 96%+ of the country living above minimum wage.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,451,124 times
Quote:
And your solution to fix this, is to raise the salaries even higher, thus exporting even more jobs..

And you said you are smart in economics.. I dont see any signs of that being true.

How many minimum wage jobs exist that can even be outsourced? I can think of telephone centers... and nothing else. Try again, buddy.

I actually think the economy would be helped by increasing the purchasing power of the poor.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:49 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,278,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The problem with liberals is they can't see for every action there is a resulting reaction. They can't see that every time government sticks its fingers in something eventually, sooner than not, it causes a problem. Don't believe me? Look at the housing crash, look at how much it cost to go to college.

Then they have to increase wages for someone who is educated and getting paid $12 hr. And then why would they bother going to school. They will just work a minimum wage job. Then there would be more competition for those minimum wage jobs and less people will get jobs.

Minimum wage jobs were meant for people just starting out.
Why do you assume that people go to school just to get a better job? Some people want to be more knowledgeable some people love what they go to school for. You say if everyone got paid 12 an hour there would be less min wage jobs but the same will happen if a lot of people go to school there will not be enough jobs for everyone.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:53 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,931,257 times
Minimum wage jobs are intended for retiree,. high school students, second job, etc. A minimum wage job was never intended to be a living wage career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies