Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
And I scored two new job interviews this morning! Screw the haters. lol. One of the interviews is on Friday I'll let people know how it goes.
Good luck. If I might offer some advice, future employers are concerned about your qualifications, your skills, your work ethic, your experience, and your attitude. They could care less about your looks or your perception of your intelligence other than that neither are off-putting. Whatever you do, try not to convey a negative attitude, a superior attitude, or a victim attitude. If the job does not have higher education requirements, mention your education, but don't harp on it. You want to be careful about being an educational snob, especially if there is an older person interviewing you. I hope you get one of the jobs, if that is what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Thank you for understanding. It seems like any decision I make these days is wrong. lol.

By the time you retire I will definitely have found a job (or I'll have jumped off a balcony) and I bet the economy will be better so you can keep working if you want. lol.

I'll try not to generalize in the meantime. I know my attitude will improve when I find employment.
I don't want to keep on working.......Thanks for the follow up. I completely understand the frustration. Many of us have been there and I understand the need to blow off steam now and then.

It does you little good right now but many of us have been there. Keep at it, being that you obviously care you'll get it figured out. It's those that don't that will still be complaining 10 years from now.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:22 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Thank you for understanding. It seems like any decision I make these days is wrong. lol.

By the time you retire I will definitely have found a job (or I'll have jumped off a balcony) and I bet the economy will be better so you can keep working if you want. lol.

I'll try not to generalize in the meantime. I know my attitude will improve when I find employment.
We Boomers do understand what you're going through. It's you (and others) who won't accept that.

The problem, in my estimation, is that we went through a period of about 20 years (1983ish to 2005ish) without a major recession. There were a couple burps in there but they were short-lived and hit mostly blue collar workers (which recessions always do).

So, there was an entire generation who grew up without seeing their parents being laid off. Boomers, on the other hand, grew up in an era when there was a recession about every 3 years and came into adulthood in the era of double digit (or close to it) inflation, double digit interest rates, double digit unemployment (for a period of time), off shoring of jobs really starting to take off (that started in the 1950s, by the way), whole industries collapsing and, if they returned, doing so with a fraction of the employees, automation on steroids with the increasing computerization of production, etc.

I saw a story earlier today: GM has 48000 US employees now. That's in all of the US. They used to employ 100000 just in Flint, MI, let alone the rest of the country. That happened to US. That's why the mantra became "go to college". Because we saw that those with degrees didn't lose their jobs like everyone else did (I saw that way earlier than most so I did go to college when very few did).

I went to my 40th high school reunion a couple years ago. There I ran into people I hadn't seen in 30 or 40 years (I moved, there were no jobs, everything had shut down) who were applying for $8/hour jobs cleaning toilets at the truck stop. At 58 years old. These were people who followed the rules, didn't get into trouble and have slowly had their legs cut out from under them piece by piece.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right and wrong: the debt part is right on but smaller versus larger in numbers: are you serious? The younger group were born as parents started cutting down on family size, there are a lot fewer of them. Why do you think they call them the baby boomer generation?
it depends on how exactly you measure it .. i think it should be measured from peak-to-trough.

boomers appear to be the bigger generation if you look at each individual year. i forget what the "peak boom year" was, but whatever it was, was bigger than anything in gen y.

however, gen y spans a larger number of years than boomers do. the end result is slightly more gen y'ers, albiet spread across a wider range of birth years.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
To post #40:

Quote:
I know PLENTY of boomers with "worthless" degrees. Psychology, English, Communications, etc. Those degrees were huge for your generation.

Myself and a lot my friends received degrees out of the business college at our universities.
Well, obviously your degree wasn't in English. Anyway, what are these Boomers doing with these worthless degrees? According to you, we're all working!

Quote:
Just to add more substance to this thread, you can see in the link below that over 65 year olds are the only age group to increase their labor force participation rate since the great recession began.

Civilian labor force participation rates by age, sex, race, and ethnicity

I do wish they would leave the work force. I haven't found my first job in the new field that I became certified in a few months ago. When I go to our local chapter meetings once a month I always see elderly women there who have jobs. I really really wish they would just retire so that someone more intelligent and youthful can take their place in the workforce. Boomers live their lives selfishly though. I expect them to be selfish until they fall in their graves.
There will come a time (hopefully) when you won't think 60 is elderly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Don't get mad at me because you didn't save any money.

I'm not blaming anybody for any shortcomings I have. I'm just speaking on the nature of the job market. It's a none fact that Boomers are keeping my generation out of the labor force.

Millennials wait as boomers hang on - 1 - - MSN Money
How do you know my pal marco didn't save any money? Did he say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
where do you figure that boomers didn't save (a generalization of course)

I am a boomer (bn 1961) retired from my first career with a pension, working on my second pension, now...plan on retiring at the ripe old age of 56.5 with 2 pensions plus social security.......

my experience...the millennial's are the laziest generation within the last 6 generations
Exactly! DH and I are older Boomers (65 and 64, respectively) and we just met with our financial guy who told us we're pretty well set for retirement.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And now they are can't afford to retire. Now, our generation aren't afforded the job opportunities since Boomers aren't retiring at a sufficient rate for there to be any jobs for Millennial seekers.
Oh, quite your whining. Is that all your generation knows how to do?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Capital available MFA. Exactly what capital is available to a burger flipper with negative net worth?
CDC/504 Loan Program Eligibility
To be considered for Certified Development Company(CDC)/504 loan, applicants must meet these eligibility requirements:

•Not have funds available from other sources. SBA does not extend financial assistance to businesses when the financial strength of the individual owners or the company itself is sufficient to provide all or part of the financing. Both business and personal financial resources are reviewed as part of the eligibility criteria. If these resources are found to be excessive, the business will be required to use those resources in lieu of part or all of the requested loan proceeds.
•Ability to repay the loan on time from the projected operating cash flow of the business
CDC/504 Loan Program Eligibility | SBA.gov

Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
How We Ended Up With a Generation of No-Discipline, No-Talent Job Seekers

Commentary: How we ended up with a generation of no-discipline, no-talent job seekers - The Washington Post

Helicopter parents, professors who aim to please, the dumbing down of standards in courses and decreasing curriculum requirements have succeeded in reducing our young workforce to a no-discipline, no-talent pool of job seekers. Harsh words for sure — but a generation out there is desperately in need of a reality check.

[MOD CUT/copyright]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-06-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 02:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
And I scored two new job interviews this morning! Screw the haters. lol. One of the interviews is on Friday I'll let people know how it goes.
As someone who hires Millenials on a regular basis, let me offer a bit of advice. I love hiring Millenials because, if they're the right candidate, I can train them and mentor them without bringing in any bad habits from other places. They are, generally, not jaded and eager. That being said, I always, always, always run into a few that just don't 'get it'.

Some things I have seen which has doomed a candidate:
- Showing up to interview 45 minutes late
- Showing up to interview in flip flops and shorts
- Telling me, in the interview, how stupid we all are and why he/she would be so much better at just about everything
- Saying they just need a job, any job, and pretty much shrug when I ask why THIS job is one they want
- Asking me how quick they can move up out of the 'boring' job they are being interviewed for
- 2.0 or around that number GPA in your major
- When not offered the job (for reasons listed above), sends a nasty letter to me, using plenty of swear words and other derogatory things. Hint: when they do that, I send that letter out to all of my fellow business owners to let them see what this candidate said. Yes, we are competitors but we also all talk to one another.

Some things that I have seen which helped a candidate
- Eager to learn
- Dresses well (note: that does NOT mean expensive. Just appropriate)
- Listens and asks questions that have to do with my business or what a day would be like vice asking about vacation and/or time off
- Shows interest in my business and/or the company
- Seems like they would get along well with team (Yes, this is a subjective thing but that generally just means not having an overblown ego, victim mentality, and/or boredom with the job, interview, etc)

Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
How We Ended Up With a Generation of No-Discipline, No-Talent Job Seekers

Commentary: How we ended up with a generation of no-discipline, no-talent job seekers - The Washington Post

Helicopter parents, professors who aim to please, the dumbing down of standards in courses and decreasing curriculum requirements have succeeded in reducing our young workforce to a no-discipline, no-talent pool of job seekers. Harsh words for sure — but a generation out there is desperately in need of a reality check.

[MOD CUT/copyright].
I don't like Boomer-bashing, but neither do I like bshing young people. It's been going on for a long time.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/632...nners-contempt
" “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” "-Socrates

I do like Southbel's post!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-06-2014 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: edited quoted psot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies