Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:

The four-week moving average for new claims, considered a better measure of
underlying labor market conditions as it irons out week-to-week volatility, rose
to 336,750 from 333,250.
jobless claims spike in latest week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 AM

712 posts, read 1,367,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
That is hardly a spike mate.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
That is hardly a spike mate.
I did not write the CNBC headline.

Call it whatever you want. The average has risen which is a more important indicator of trend.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
Oh my god, jobless claims "spiked" one percect in one week...the world is going to end.

God damn Obama for making jobless claims spike in one week. We should remove him from office for week to week variablility. Just ignore unemployment going down in general. Just ignore it. I SAID JUST IGNORE IT YOU STUPID LIBERAL!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Oh my god, jobless claims "spiked" one percect in one week...the world is going to end.

God damn Obama for making jobless claims spike in one week. We should remove him from office for week to week variablility. Just ignore unemployment going down in general. Just ignore it. I SAID JUST IGNORE IT YOU STUPID LIBERAL!
1) It's a four-week average.

2) Do you not care at all about the employment rate going down? (Hint - unlike the unemployment rate, it's not good for the employment rate to go down.)

Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
But when they fall .01%, the economy is doing just fantastic..

Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
It's Bush's fault!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
We can't worry about how many more are unemployed-- the important number is how many more have signed up for Obamacare !!! So even if these poor fools don't have a job or any money at least they're covered with health insurance ! I think you'all are forgetting that the main goal here is to make our King look good no matter what the consequences, he's the important one, the hell with the little people !

Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I overheard a younger coworker praising Obama that he just raised the minimum wage to $10 an hour and then berate our company for paying them less than that. The kid is... news ignorant and addled but par for the course for most Obama supporters.
No , I didn't correct him. The other young employee he was talking to then complained about having part time hours. These guys have a rude awakening if they think Obama is on their side. He's got their backs about as much as the staunchest conservative. The conservative would at least give it to them straight and tell them to like it or lump it and get more by working for it on their own. Obama would tell them he'll help them out and then sell them out.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I don't bet the farm on jobless claims.

The very nature of the jobless claims system makes the use of graphs for raw data useless. I'm not saying "Seasonally Adjust" the data, I'm just saying use a simple/generic trend line to get a general idea of what is happening.

I also look at the weekly unadjusted filings compared with the same week in previous years (going back to 2008 and BLS usually compares with the prior year).

It's best to look at several things together, including what's been happening over the last 4-12 Weeks in unemployment claims. That'll clarify the picture telling you what is happening, but not why it's happening.

I would add this is not unexpected, since employers filed a record number of mass lay-offs in January, so those people will be getting kicked out the door for the next several weeks.

You were on track for a recession starting 2nd Quarter 2014, but as I said last Quarter, Obama delaying implementation of key parts of Obamacare will push that back. Obama has continued to delay key regulations and I don't have time to waste 8 hours chunking numbers, because he's too damn incompetent.

Anyway, you can't suck that amount of money out of your economy and not feel it.

Quote:

Uh, unemployment increased to 7.0%, while Labor Force Participation rate dropped from 62.6% to 62.5% and E-Pop Ratio dropped from 58.5% to 58.1%.

You're short 13+Million workers, and without them working, you cannot pay for Social Security or Medicare or Medicaid or Obamacare or the Affordable Housing Act or the Affordable Plasma TV Act or any other nonsense Boy Wonder comes up with.

You might win the battle with a 5.0% UE Rate, but if your E-Pop Ratio isn't 63.5%, then you lost the war.

Economically....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies