Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 AM

78,597 posts, read 60,785,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Congress to NFL-change it or pay.

I'm glad they don't have anything more important to worry about

Senator threatens NFL's tax-exempt status over Washington Redskins name - ESPN
They should threatedn the NFL's tax status over their racial make-up that is very out of line with the US population.

Either that or the billion they are putting out there to fix racial distributions in STEM fields needs to be matched with another billion to get the sports industry to look similar.

Don't see too many asians or indians etc. in the NFL.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They should threatedn the NFL's tax status over their racial make-up that is very out of line with the US population.

Either that or the billion they are putting out there to fix racial distributions in STEM fields needs to be matched with another billion to get the sports industry to look similar.

Don't see too many asians or indians etc. in the NFL.....
OMG don't give them any ideas because they'll take you seriously.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:03 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,306,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Why? Because IT DOES NOT offend the majority of Native Americans. Next, a majority of Liberals AND Conservatives BOTH support the name, so stop running from thread to thread playing the racism card. The fact is that over 90% of Native Americans said they aren't offended by the name. Next, there's even a Native American High School built on an reservation where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American. Guess what the name of that high school is? It's called Red Skin High School, and it's not the only school build on a reservation that goes by that name.

The way I see it... On one side resides the argument that the team name is NOT racially and culturally offensive/racist/demeaning, and on the other side is the argument chomping at the bit to plat the race card any and every chance they get.
It is irrelevant what percentage of native Americans it offends. T

So your argument is moot, because of course the name is offensive or team names like the Chicago blackskins or the Detroit yellowskins wouldn't be offensive.

Are you really going to pretend that those team names wouldn't be considered offensive in America today?

That is the only way to say the team name Redskins wouldn't be offensive to a lot of people. Again it is a losing argument all away around. There is no getting beyond that point.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is irrelevant what percentage of native Americans it offends. T

So your argument is moot, because of course the name is offensive or team names like the Chicago blackskins or the Detroit yellowskins wouldn't be offensive.

Are you really going to pretend that those team names wouldn't be considered offensive in America today?

That is the only way to say the team name Redskins wouldn't be offensive to a lot of people. Again it is a losing argument all away around. There is no getting beyond that point.
LOL how is it irrelevant if an overwhelming majority of Native Americans not SUPPORT the name, but have even used the SAME EXACT NAME for their own schools where they send their own children? The who argument against using the name was that the name's offensive, but now you claim that does not matter? lol You are a trip. Of course it doesn't matter to YOU because the ONLY thing that matters to you is getting a chance to accuse someone of being racist.

No, if I were Black, Brown, White, Blue, Green, or Pink, and someone wanted to name a sports team after the color of my skin, I would not loose any sleep over it.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM

78,597 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
OMG don't give them any ideas because they'll take you seriously.
I am serious.

This isn't just a black and white America anymore.

We have a wide range of ethnicities.

We have the NAACP complaining that there are too many asians in the NY charter schools and not enough blacks. Yet if I look at kids on the basketball and football teams I see just the opposite distribution.

The meme is that some sort of unfairness is involved and that the kids doing well academically are just naturally good at it or something (which would be racist) and the kids doing well at sports is due to hours and hours of hard work.

If the government is going to put billions of dollars towards correcting racial inequalities in places like STEM, they need to do so in a consistent manner and address other fields as well.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,306,289 times
Quote:
LOL how is it irrelevant if an overwhelming majority of Native Americans not SUPPORT the name, but have even used the SAME EXACT NAME for their own schools where they send their own children? The who argument against using the name was that the name's offensive, but now you claim that does not matter? lol You are a trip. Of course it doesn't matter to YOU because the ONLY thing that matters to you is getting a chance to accuse someone of being racist.
It is irrelevant because team names like the Chicago BlackSkins would be considered offensive.

The only way to argue that in America today the team name the Redskins isn't offensive to a lot of people is to argue that a team name like the Blackskins wouldn't be offensive to a lot of people and wouldn't be tolerated either, there is no difference between those names.

This discussion is not about me.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,007,935 times
Quote:

No, if I were Black, Brown, White, Blue, Green, or Pink, and someone wanted to name a sports team after the color of my skin, I would not loose any sleep over it.

Neither would I. Sticks and stones man....sticks and stones.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 AM

23,601 posts, read 17,283,784 times
Congress should consider redistributing races, height, weight and ethnicities across all teams. Acrually have quotas and then assign a number to each team that will serve as its name. Some groups would then be exempt from being chased, tackled or impeded in any way if they had the football and were running for a touchdown.

At the very least congress should authorize a study to consider alternatives that would not affend anyone.

These actions should slightly reduce the number of people offended. Oops numerologists might consider that teams with a higher number are treated better than teams with a lower number. I'm sure they can gather a 10% majority to have Congress reconvene during recess to reconsider their decision and assauge the offended.

Do you suppose there are 10% of people the 'offended' party pretends to represent that would be offended if the name 'redskins' was dropped?

You do realize if the most ridiculous question or proposal was asked or presented, you could be guaranteed that at least 20 - 30% of the reponders would agree with it.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 AM

59,291 posts, read 27,456,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
10% of the people they've asked. I'd love to find out if anyone has been on a rez lately to ask those folks about it. But since those who've been stashed on the rez for generations aren't always fans of us white folks, I bet no one would dare.

Anyway, it all boils down to the fact that football is way more important than some stupid ol' Injuns, right?

I posted in another thread a poll taken where they basked Indians ONLY and 80% responded that they are NOT offened by the name Redskins.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 AM

59,291 posts, read 27,456,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There are exceptions, but the people who are fighting for the Redskins to keep the name are either Redskin fans or conservatives/libertarians.
"but the people who are fighting for the Redskins to keep the name are either Redskin fans or conservatives/libertarians."

You don't know what you are talking about.

I am from the D.C area and have MANY conservative, liberal and libertarian friends who support the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies