Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not defending what the guy said. I think it was stupid to say. I posted what I posted because someone is trying to say "this is limited to Democrats". I was refuting the idea that stupid comments are limited to Democrats. You have Republicans making stupid comments too.
I went back and re-read the posts and I still didn't see where anyone claimed that Republicans didn't make stupid statements. They argued that it seems like they are the only ones that get called out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Similar stuff? Half of the GOP thinks Obama was born in Kenya. They think finding a racist democrat absolves their entire party of racism? I think not.
I do not htink they think it abolves them; It just points out the blatent hypocrisy.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not defending what the guy said. I think it was stupid to say. I posted what I posted because someone is trying to say "this is limited to Democrats". I was refuting the idea that stupid comments are limited to Democrats. You have Republicans making stupid comments too.
Both sides have members who make hateful or racist statements, but it seems comments like these when spoken by Democrats get swept under the rug, while comments like these spoken by Republicans become their defining moment. People should be held accountable, regardless of their political allegiance.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Is Rep. Alvin Holmes a member of the Tea Party? Naw....didn't think so. Of course he's a Democrat.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Something tells me the media will mostly ignore this story. Had this been a Republican, itd be front page news, Jon Lebowitz would even be all over it. MSNBC would talk about it for days.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Both sides have members who make hateful or racist statements, but it seems comments like these when spoken by Democrats get swept under the rug, while comments like these spoken by Republicans become their defining moment. People should be held accountable, regardless of their political allegiance.
Bingo. I dont have an issue with Republicans getting called out when they say something bad or stupid. The issue, as its always been, is that Democrats almost always get a pass. The media never takes them to task the same way they do non-liberals.

Look at past comments by Reid for example with race related things he said about Obama. Or Democrats who compared Republicans to terrorists/suicide bombers. The list goes on.

Every time I hear a liberal try and claim the media isnt biased, I want to punch them right in the mouth.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The Democrat base looks at an obviously racist pig like this guy and has nothing to say. Yet when a religious conservative makes any comment about abortion, rape, or anything else extremist feminists deem off limits for men to talk about, then we've got a national hysteria that makes whoever made the comment unelectable.

You've got to admire the propaganda machine the Democrat Party and the liberals have engineered. Goebbels would be proud. The sad thing is that so many people just repeat whatever lies and spin they are fed by the DNC bosses.
If the Rep. actually said this he is in the wrong. Period. But Clarence Thomas is a turd of a man and is one of the worse SCJs of all time. Thurgood Marshall is probably turning over in his grave...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I would be interested to see the transcript of the statement. Afterwards, Ms. Holmes tried to explain himself, saying he was mis-quoted:

“I said some people might say I didn’t like him because he was married to a white woman".

However, Mr. Holmes then added that he viewed Justice Thomas as an "Uncle Tom", which, in my view, did not help his cause.

Regardless, state legislatures seem to attract odd people. I do realize that sheeple like to take one idiot and proclaim him or her as being representative of a class, but I do not agree with such tactics. You have clowns of all political persuasion, and one should not try to judge a political party by some of the individual members. Both the Democratic and Republican parties have lots of fine, upstanding people serving their cause, with the occasional nutwing tossed in. It is a melting pot.

Black Dem on Clarence Thomas: White wife OK, but justice is 'Uncle Tom' - Washington Times

Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Lol...."to prove I'm not racist I'll say something even more racist".

Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Alabama has a history of racist beliefs on both sides.

I know this will cause heads to explode around here, but racism is not a political orientation no matter how much the Left, the Right, and 3/4 of P&C posters try to politicize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies