Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

This thread tells me a lot about the liberal female contributors on this forum. Many of them are not typical or average in any sense in that they don't (and appear to have no desire to) subscribe to the normal, average everyday role of a female seeking to meet the man of her dreams and start a family. These folks are societal outliers. Knowing this, now I am more informed as to how their wildly skewed...... and untypical..... viewpoints are formulated. It all makes sense now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This thread tells me a lot about the liberal female contributors on this forum. Many of them are not typical or average in any sense in that they don't (and appear to have no desire to) subscribe to the normal, average everyday role of a female seeking to meet the man of her dreams and start a family. These folks are societal outliers. Knowing this, now I am more informed as to how their wildly skewed...... and untypical..... viewpoints are formulated. It all makes sense now.
Yes, intelligent women often have untypical views.

But congratulations on catching up with how that works. Y'all are going to need to pick it up a bit, though. Chop, chop.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
There's far more to life than meeting the man of your dreams.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
You are correct.......list most every time. I'm glad I'm hitched now........well maybe not.........but it's a mess out there today. Women believe the are supposed to do what they do........which is to do what democrats tell em. I am about to give up..........the commies have pretty much won IMO.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, intelligent women often have untypical views.

But congratulations on catching up with how that works. Y'all are going to need to pick it up a bit, though. Chop, chop.

Well, I would rather use the characterization that "educated women" have non-typical views, rather than using the term "intelligent". It seems that the abnormal ideas are more related to education rather than intelligence.

Furthermore, when we are discussing education. We need to really make a distinction between people with a strong foundation of knowledge, and people with formal educations. Especially those with formal educations from Ivy League colleges. Since we need to understand what the "political culture" of Ivy League colleges actually is. I mean, they aren't exactly hiring conservative professors.

Michael J. Sandel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thus the question is, should the kinds of women who are far from being representative of the normal American woman. Not only in education and political background, but also in psychology and personality. Be used as a barometer for what American woman should want to emulate?

Are the kinds of women who have personalities which push them to live lonely lives in the pursuit of high-paying and demanding careers, be held up as normal or even desirable?

If we are going off personality-types. We must recognize that the kind of personality-type which is typical of executive-types. Would generally be an ENTJ, INTJ, or INTP. Men are five times more likely to be INTJ's than women. And INTJ's are only 1.5% of the population(in comparison to an ESTJ, which is 13%).

Frequency of Personality Types by Population & Gender

The point is, I think the kinds of women who become high-ranking executives, tend to be women with personalities more similar to that of a man than that of a woman. These woman are powerful, and so their voices seem loud. But they aren't "normal". Most of them are basically lacking any maternal instincts whatsoever. They have no desire to nurture, they only have a desire to rule. They are oddities in every way. And to use them as an ideal, is basically to attempt to go against nature itself.

The article was not arguing whether or not men should want intelligent older women. It was simply saying that men by the laws of nature, don't seek out older women. Thus if women want to be realistic instead of idealistic, they should seek out potential mates earlier in life. Otherwise they are going to end up disappointed.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I think you missed the point of the article.

given everything the same, intelligence, how much she makes, the 20 year old is going to have a couple of advantages over the 30 year old. She isn't going to have that "biological clock ticking" aura of desperation to have a child while she still can, AND, she will probably have a slight advantage in appearance.

I am not trying to be ugly about anything, but let's face it, be ye male or female, the 20 year old is likely to have the more appealing physique.
How can a 20 year old, a sophomore/junior in college, make as much as a 30 year old with a degree and several years experience?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Was curious what people thought of this:

Susan Patton: A Little Valentine's Day Straight Talk - WSJ.com

Princeton U. alumna Susan Patton says women in their 30s looking for husband give off 'man repellent' | NJ.com

From the first article:

Now, I am conservative and pretty old-school but even I will admit this is complete rubbish. No GOOD man should be threatened by a woman's intelligence or how much she makes. In fact, a good man should be all to happy to have an intelligent woman that can make her own way. I found this woman to be very off the mark.
Women no longer "need" men. And a lot of what is going on right now is our society's struggle to deal with that.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
If women want to go hubby hunting at campus, they should try looking in the computer science department. I'm currently taking a programming class and an IT prep class and these classes have only one or two women. There's tons of guys in the computer science department who would enjoy some eye candy once in a while.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
Quote:
Why is that bad? Would you prefer they think like everyone else?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, I would rather use the characterization that "educated women" have non-typical views, rather than using the term "intelligent". It seems that the abnormal ideas are more related to education rather than intelligence.

Furthermore, when we are discussing education. We need to really make a distinction between people with a strong foundation of knowledge, and people with formal educations. Especially those with formal educations from Ivy League colleges. Since we need to understand what the "political culture" of Ivy League colleges actually is. I mean, they aren't exactly hiring conservative professors.

Michael J. Sandel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thus the question is, should the kinds of women who are far from being representative of the normal American woman. Not only in education and political background, but also in psychology and personality. Be used as a barometer for what American woman should want to emulate?

Are the kinds of women who have personalities which push them to live lonely lives in the pursuit of high-paying and demanding careers, be held up as normal or even desirable?

If we are going off personality-types. We must recognize that the kind of personality-type which is typical of executive-types. Would generally be an ENTJ, INTJ, or INTP. Men are five times more likely to be INTJ's than women. And INTJ's are only 1.5% of the population(in comparison to an ESTJ, which is 13%).

Frequency of Personality Types by Population & Gender

The point is, I think the kinds of women who become high-ranking executives, tend to be women with personalities more similar to that of a man than that of a woman. These woman are powerful, and so their voices seem loud. But they aren't "normal". Most of them are basically lacking any maternal instincts whatsoever. They have no desire to nurture, they only have a desire to rule. They are oddities in every way. And to use them as an ideal, is basically to attempt to go against nature itself.

The article was not arguing whether or not men should want intelligent older women. It was simply saying that men by the laws of nature, don't seek out older women. Thus if women want to be realistic instead of idealistic, they should seek out potential mates earlier in life. Otherwise they are going to end up disappointed.

I'm a female INTJ who would vastly prefer to have the option of being a stay at home parent and don't lack in nurturing instincts. That doesn't change the fact that I'm ambitious. I'm ambitious BECAUSE I want to have children, not in spite of.

Here's the facts: A starter home in my area is easily 300K with 500K+ for 3b2ba in a decent school district. I am conservative in how I allocate money and would need to put down 20% and have the mortgage no more than 3x income. Cost of living is high even beyond housing costs. I'm infertile and adoption is expensive, so I'm looking at minimally 30K per child, likely higher. Daycare is $1500 at minimum a month, but it's near impossible to live on a single salary unless the salary is very high. Savings and retirement are a priority to me, and even though I save 25% of my income, it will still be more than a year and a half until I will have a 1 year emergency fund - and THEN I can start saving for a downpayment.

In these circumstances, it would be insane NOT to be focused on saving in order to have the eventual life that I want. I don't have the luxury of "no time is right for a baby" - I will need to go through rigors and financial challenges of the adoption process.

At 26 years old and no marriage on the horizon, it makes absolute sense to focus on my career so that I am in the best financial position to get married. I'm working full time, in grad school part time, and yes, dating. But I will not date a man who is not 100% supportive of my efforts and surprisingly have run into few men within a reasonable age difference who value saving and planning for the future the way I do.

We women who value financial security can't wait on our laurels for a man to come around and make it happen for us. We need to do it ourselves.

I date a lot. I'd prefer to find a man at least as ambitious, if not more so, than I am. Unfortunately, few men step up.

I also watched what happened to my mother when she became a full-time stay at home mom because of my dad's career. My dad has been mostly unemployed since he was 45 (he's now in his late 50s) due to disability and will likely never work again. My mom had worked part time through middle and high school, and now only has the skills to work in a daycare making a fraction of what my dad made. It has made ALL of our lives a struggle and much of the financial responsibility for my parents will likely fall on my shoulders. Not only do I have to plan for that eventuality, but I also want to ensure that I never am in a position where I can't meaningfully support my family.

Last edited by charolastra00; 02-16-2014 at 12:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies