Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wrong.

I am simply done wasting my time with people who demonstrate either inability or unwillingness to grasp basic concepts that MUST be grasped for meaningful debate to happen. I laid out how the legal analysis should work in these issues, and you just take it in an entirely different direction, completely ignoring the way things work.

It's bad enough that most anti-gays confuse sex acts with sexual orientation in the first place. But when you start adding legal analysis to the mix, it's a recipe for a lot of wasted time I will never get back.
That's what everyone says when they've blew their wad and can't find any new set of cut & paste talking points to counter the other person's response.

Your vague references to "legal theory" and that odd bit about real estate contracts were not winning arguments.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What ban? Gays can get married, no one is stopping them.

Some gay activists and activist judges want to redefine state marriage laws to include same sex couples and roll them into traditional marriage. There is no ban, some people want a change to marriage laws, and if not everyone agrees to the change then you label it a "ban."
Why would a straight woman or lesbian want to marry a gay man? If a straight guy why would you want to marry a lesbian?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Gan bans on marriage and other laws are going down one after another. This issue is dying faster then anti Marijuana laws. I am not gay, and do not even have friends who are gay but this war on homosexuals is nuts. Do you conservatives really think you can actually win this fight? Your trying to keep a snow ball from melting in the desert.
Good to see society making progress!!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Typical, shallow pettiness that I'd expect in threads like this.
Do you need a tissue for your issues? I'm mean really, it's kind oh obvious you get "freaked out" over gay men.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That's what everyone says when they've blew their wad and can't find any new set of cut & paste talking points to counter the other person's response.

Your vague references to "legal theory" and that odd bit about real estate contracts were not winning arguments.
What's your take on it Perry Mason?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What you were describing was uniquely Greek: the erastes/eromenos relationship. Gay sex, and even sex between men and boys, was allowed in Rome, but only under certain circumstances. The erastes/eromenos relationship was not socially acceptable in Rome. It was unacceptable for freeborn Roman males - of any age - to be penetrated (anally or orally - in fact, oral penetration was considered even more abhorrent). Male Roman citizens, however, could go about penetrating slaves and freed slaves - whether men or boys - to their heart's content.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I said. In any case, the right-winger's claim is false.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Gan bans on marriage and other laws are going down one after another. This issue is dying faster then anti Marijuana laws. I am not gay, and do not even have friends who are gay but this war on homosexuals is nuts. Do you conservatives really think you can actually win this fight? Your trying to keep a snow ball from melting in the desert.
Headline fraud. There are no "gay bans" in place nor being proposed. Nobody is trying to bring back anti-sodomy laws or to put gays in jail. In fact it is now far more likely to be jailed, ostracized, fired, generally have your life made miserable for being homophobic than for being gay.

The debate over 'gay marriage' has nothing to do with banning anything. No one is proposing banning any behavior. It comes down to a debate over the definition of a word.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Headline fraud. There are no "gay bans" in place nor being proposed. Nobody is trying to bring back anti-sodomy laws or to put gays in jail. In fact it is now far more likely to be jailed, ostracized, fired, generally have your life made miserable for being homophobic than for being gay.
Actually some people are. Virginia's Attorney General tried to do just that a few months ago until the Supreme Court put him in his place.

And arguing over an English word is pretty ridiculous. Most of the world doesn't use the word "marriage".

Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why would a straight woman or lesbian want to marry a gay man? If a straight guy why would you want to marry a lesbian?
That is what domestic partnerships address.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Do you need a tissue for your issues? I'm mean really, it's kind oh obvious you get "freaked out" over gay men.
Proving my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies