Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

When people called for changing the name of the Washington Redskins, Goodell said that the name was a "unifying force." That's patently absurd. The reason no one else uses that term anymore is that it's widely considered a racial slur.

Flash back to 2008, Rush Limbaugh had been hired by ESPN for a sports talk show. The topic of QB Donovan McNabb, who was having a tough season, came up. The question batted around was: was McNabb regressing? Limbaugh said no, McNabb had been overrated to begin with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbaugh
I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well...he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team.
At the time there were no expressions of outrage from the rest of the panel. Ex QB Steve Young disagreed with the assessment of McNabb. Ex-receiver Michael Irvin said, "Rush has a point. ESPN VP Mark Shapiro later defended the comments. Limbaugh was implicitly saying that it's wrong to judge a player according to skin color. "We brought Rush in for no-holds-barred opinon. Early on, he has delivered," Shapiro exclaimed.

The show aired on Sunday. Three Dem presidential candidates (Dean, Clark, and Sharpton) called on ESPN to fire Limbaugh. By Wednesday, ESPN issued a statement calling the comments "insensitive and inappropriate.' Limbaugh was out the door.

About a year later Dave Checketts, former Knicks president, was putting together a group to try to buy the St. Louis Rams, and asked Limbaugh to become a partner. Goodell objected, he said, due to Limbaugh's comments about McNabb. He called Limbaugh's comments about McNabb "polarizing" and "divisive. Under pressure, Checketts had to drop Rush from the would-be ownership group.

So for someone to say that players should be judged on performance, not skin tone, is "polarizing," whereas a team using a racial slur as its name is a "unifying force." LOL! Goodell just might qualify as world's biggest hypocrite, and that is no easy task these days.

edit: info about the McNabb dustup taken from the book "Rush Limbaugh," by Zev Chafets, a journalist who writes for the NYT Sunday Magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
"God"ell is destroying Football.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
"God"ell is destroying Football.
A horrendous Superbowl is the highest rated show in history.

That's some destruction there Bulldogdad.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Never mentioned money or popularity.

Mine was a strictly personal opinion. Yup I got one

Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses. I.E. the last two Presidential Elections, both sides I might add.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:

Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses. I.E. the last two Presidential Elections, both sides I might add.
Money and popularity are the only things that matter when you're putting on a show my friend.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Money and popularity are the only things that matter when you're putting on a show my friend.
Not in dispute.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Problem solved

Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:

Don't forget the highly rated and thoroughly entertaining NFC Championship game.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:

The Left has been attacking the NFL for some time now. I honestly think some of the more urbane liberals want the league destroyed.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Problem solved
This uniform actually looks pretty nice. And this is coming from a Cowboys fan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies