Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What they do not seem to understand is that a quality work ethic and persistence of effort is just as important. Guess when you get and expect lots of things without actually having to work to achieve them that is what happens. You get spoiled and lazy.

So don't hate the player hate the game? Guess what, i don't like either. Does it make me a bad person, that is a matter of opinion I guess.

Many of the schools and higher educational facilities are money making machines that feed off govt and taxpayers. Should not the taxpayer be concerned where the money is going?

Colleges and health care are the two largest and worst legal rackets. Then Wall Street.
Just want to clarify--are you saying that conservatives believe not having an education is a good thing? Or is this about that working class hero idealogy?

Are you proposing that the majority of the US population should skip higher education? What about public school education? Do you also feel people should be home-schooled by their math and science whiz parents who can ill-prepare them for global competition? Do you really not get that most of the industrialized nations put a huge emphasis on education, and that this is the real reason the US will be left in the dust? It will not be due to immigration or health care or religion? It will be due to lack of knowledge? Go back and look at history after WWII when the GI bill kicked in and the US advanced economically. Poo-pooing education is what will doom the children of this country. You might as well advise them to go ahead and appoint their government officials from a choice of Chinese candidates, as that is who will be giving the orders. The passwords for the future are math and science. Manufacturing career paths will (and already have been) relegated to, and dominated by, third world countries. I guess your motto is knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why does the left think knowledge can only be acquired through government schooling?
The OP did not mention government schooling he is railing against education itself

Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Many kids are not college material and even more just don’t want to go. A good mechanic or plumber can make over $100k per year -what’s a 23-year-old psych major make at MacDonalds? Crazy, and a huge disservice to the children.

You are missing the point, even becoming a plumber or a mechanic requires EDUCATION which apparently is not made clear through the OP's rant

Old 02-17-2014, 05:49 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
American conservatives think further dumbing down of the populace is a good thing?
Feh. Education. Who needs it?

To them, Education is ONLY for those whose families can afford to send them, NO public primary or secondary education, NO educational grants, and NO student loans.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What they do not seem to understand is that a quality work ethic and persistence of effort is just as important. Guess when you get and expect lots of things without actually having to work to achieve them that is what happens. You get spoiled and lazy.

So don't hate the player hate the game? Guess what, i don't like either. Does it make me a bad person, that is a matter of opinion I guess.

Many of the schools and higher educational facilities are money making machines that feed off govt and taxpayers. Should not the taxpayer be concerned where the money is going?

Colleges and health care are the two largest and worst legal rackets. Then Wall Street.

I know that I've used my degree a handful of times in my current employment path.

But it got me in the door.

And that is where we end up. No, education doesn't guarantee success. Especially when you have a "liberal arts degree". But it sure helps to get started.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:57 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You are missing the point, even becoming a plumber or a mechanic requires EDUCATION which apparently is not made clear through the OP's rant
Of course, skills require training and education, but those learned skills aren't necessarily obtained in a classroom setting.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why does the left think knowledge can only be acquired through government schooling?
Because private schooling can be sketchy. I will admit, there is a lot of problems with the current situation. 1. Athletics is not a part of academics and shouldn't be funded with state money or general tuition money, but participant money.
2. Preschool funding is probably more important than college funding, as when kids get to college age, they have already determined their stance and desire for academics
3. Money can't solve everything.
4. Colleges do make money off the system

But we do need to improve our education because of the high demand for high skilled jobs, evident by the high pay for high skill jobs.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 PM

582 posts, read 779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Just want to clarify--are you saying that conservatives believe not having an education is a good thing? Or is this about that working class hero idealogy?

Are you proposing that the majority of the US population should skip higher education? What about public school education? Do you also feel people should be home-schooled by their math and science whiz parents who can ill-prepare them for global competition? Do you really not get that most of the industrialized nations put a huge emphasis on education, and that this is the real reason the US will be left in the dust? It will not be due to immigration or health care or religion? It will be due to lack of knowledge? Go back and look at history after WWII when the GI bill kicked in and the US advanced economically. Poo-pooing education is what will doom the children of this country. You might as well advise them to go ahead and appoint their government officials from a choice of Chinese candidates, as that is who will be giving the orders. The passwords for the future are math and science. Manufacturing career paths will (and already have been) relegated to, and dominated by, third world countries. I guess your motto is knowledge is power, but ignorance is bliss.
Statements like those above are just parroting liberal propaganda. Nowhere did he state that conservative don't believe in education. If have conservatives believe the exact opposite, that education an important part of improving the economy. However, as was correctly pointed out it is not going to work in a vacuum. Work ethics are required to make any education work and the education provided must match the needs of the economy. Pumping out PHDs in liberal arts won't help us with building better products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Manufacturing career paths will (and already have been) relegated to, and dominated by, third world countries.
That is a huge bunch of b--- s----. The US still leads the world in manufacturing contrary to the lie the liberal put out. We account for 20% of the products used outside the US and more if the US economy is include. However, will China and third world countries pump out towels, golf tees and other gadgets, the US pumps out planes, turbines and other big items.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Of course, skills require training and education, but those learned skills aren't necessarily obtained in a classroom setting.
That is not was said, he was ranting about EDUCATION and he did not make a difference between classroom, secondary or post secondary education.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Back to the MAIN subject of the thread ... HOW can a person start or run a thriving business without an education? The Knowledge of the business itself, Knowledge of HOW to run a business, we are born with this knowledge ?? We can't even READ without an EDUCATION, same goes for Math, etc. etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies