Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How is it different?

The end result is the same - a group of people forced to seek unique and specific accommodation due to some other people having decided that they should be discriminated against.

Are "all men created equal" or not?
as in an ant to an elephant.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You can not discriminate on the basis of religion - it's against federal law. But, you can use religion as a basis for discrimination under this AZ law.
Which makes it unlawful...in Az or any other state in the union.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I agree with this. I am going to move to Arizona so I can open up a business where I can express my religious beliefs freely. My deity prohibits me from offering service to any follower of any Abrahamic religion or derivative thereof, hicks or rednecks of any kind, old, white, fat, bald rich guys, and especially any kind of conservative or tea-partier. It will be a refreshing change from being forced to violate my beliefs by serving these immoral heathens all the time.
Not planning on being in business long, are you?

I agree with an earlier poster, if that is their religious belief and they believe it so strongly, it should have to be clearly posted for all to see in order to claim such an exemption. I personally would not patronize a business that discriminated like that, and I doubt I am alone. However, I support the business owners right to follow their religious beliefs. But I only support that as long as they are willing to make that stance clear for the public to see at all times and are willing to accept the natural financial consequences of that choice. I also think public entities should not be allowed to enter contracts with businesses that are not equally accessable to all taxpayers - so no government contracts for them.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,873 times
I think it's odd that AZ lawmakers consider gay couples to be more dangerous than carrying concealed weapons into businesses.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Which makes it unlawful...in Az or any other state in the union.
You may be misreading what I said. You can't discriminate against someone because of their religion. Like a photog can't refuse to take photos at a Jewish wedding because he is a Christian who does not like Jews. You can do so with homosexuals. They have no such protection in most places. You can say "I refuse to take photos at gay weddings because I believe that gay marriage is an abomination in the eyes of my God". But you could possibly be sued for that and lose because your religion does not trump the gay persons rights. That is what the New Mexico court said. AZ is trying to head this off before it happens - to take away the authority of state courts to rule that religion does not trump other civil rights.

You need to accept that it is perfectly legal in most places to discriminate against someone on the basis of their homosexuality. I don't think it will be that way 10 years from now, but that is the way it is now. To some extent, things like the AZ law will hasten that day because this law will be immediately challenged if it is signed. And you can be sure it will be DOA at the 9th Circuit Court.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
I think it's odd that AZ lawmakers consider gay couples to be more dangerous than carrying concealed weapons into businesses.
Because owning a gun is a right that CAN NOT be infringed . I am glad that you try to use that in comparison somehow that has nothing to do with each other

Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Good ole AZ... the Florida of the west.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This law would allow Muslim cab drivers to refuse service to a woman traveling alone. Republicans are sensitive to Sharia Law, I guess.
This probably already happens. Cab drivers pass up people all the time for their own reasons.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
People who say these kinds of bills promote discrimination are wrong. These bills are being made to protect businesses and religious rights from discrimination.

No where does it say that a business can refuse service to a gay person just for being gay, they cannot hang up signs that say '' no gays allowed '' or anything like that. It simply says that a business owner can be protected for denying a special service (such as a cake for a gay wedding) on the basis of their religious values.

These kinds of bills are necessary as gay activsts are becoming more and more militant, and often do violate the Religious Rights of others.
But tell us just how the hell is a business owner whose religious principles dictate discrimination against homosexuals are supposed to determine his or her potential customer is a homosexual. I doubt straight customers would appreciate being asked, "Are you a homosexual?"

Old 02-21-2014, 10:41 AM

The business community is marshaling its forces to oppose the bill and urge Brewer to veto. The business community has more clout than the Christian Center for Arizona Policy. Brewer is a lame duck, so does not have to worry about the Republican primary for re-election like she did with SB1070. We'll see.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politi...html#protected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies