Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 05:08 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,406,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The fact that our ancestors stood up for their states rights. Many fought against an invading federal army who were marching on their homes.

Sherman didn't exactly play nice when he marched, did he?

People focus on the slavery part. Slavery was legal, and as such people had a lot of money tied into slavery. Giving up your legal property without recompense is quite an absurd thing.

We see slavery as all bad today. But at the time, even many northern folks didn't want to fight the south, or the slaves to be free.
Never mind the Civil War. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of the Confederate flags came out in the 1950s and 1960s in opposition to the civil rights movement to end segregation. Do you really want that association in that context? Is that the "heritage" these folks are celebrating?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM

16,427 posts, read 22,254,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Never mind the Civil War.
We can't. The 10th Amendment issue has never been settled.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,313,995 times
For the last time the southern heritage argument is a major fail, unless you ignore that black people who live in the southern region are SOUTHERNERS.

Now how can it be possible to celebrate southern heritage and celebrate a symbol that would have enslaved black southerners?

How? Oh yeah those black southerners must not count in their version of southern heritage.

The only way the southern heritage thing flies, is if you ignore the millions of black southerners.

I know the rebel flag fans have in mind to celebrate their own separate white racist southern heritage which is separate from the black southern heritage.

These fools are walking parodies and they don't see it.

And who is behind this? White southern conservatives.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,406,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We can't. The 10th Amendment issue has never been settled.
What do you mean by that? It's basically a definition of federalism. Which was settled in blood.

Again, the point I'm making is that a more recent context of displaying Rebel flags was opposition to equal rights for African Americans in the South...which is, IMO, far more relevant than the conflict 150 years ago.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM

40,997 posts, read 49,412,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Neither Florida or Texas are in the Core South.

And Texas has 7 million more people than the state of New York, Florida about 2 million more, if neither of them had a higher GDP than NY then there would be a problem
Apparently most people consider TX and FL to be part of that core group since we both were one of the original 7 that seceded

Maybe you can find me a definition of core south beside just yours.

Either way, NY is sucking 3rd place and falling. Florida will pass NY within the next few years.

Quote:
Seven Deep South cotton states seceded by February 1861, starting with South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. These seven states formed the Confederate States of America (February 4, 1861), with Jefferson Davis as president, and a governmental structure closely modeled on the U.S. Constitution.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,616,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Please..... People need to stop being offended by such stupid things. The average person who has a Dixie Flag is not racist, their just proud of their Southern Culture /Heritage. That or maybe they're just big Lynard Skynard fans?

You know what offends me? Children being shot in our schools.

You know what offends me? That guns and gun owners are falsely blamed for such tragedies and People want to use them to take our gun rights away.

You know what offends me? Innocent babies being seen as an inconvenience and not a miracle and being killed because of it.

You know what offends me? Having a President who thinks the Constitution is flawed and should be ignored.

You know what offends me? That society is so accepting of violence and drugs (not referring to pot) in our culture but not Jesus or God.

You know what offends me? Forcing people to get Obamacare even though they could never afford it.

You know what offends me? That people have to starve or live in ghettos because welfare programs keeps them dependent on the Government.

You know what offends me? That women can't carry guns to protect themselves from rapes or attacks because some places don't believe in the right to bear arms.

You know what offends me? Having to pay an asinine amount of taxes.

You know what offends me? Disagree with the homosexual lifestyle and get called a bigot even though you don't hate gay people.

You know what offends me? Disagree with the president and called a racist even though you don't hate black people.

You know what offends me? People come into this country illegally and don't want to assimilate into our culture and abuse our benefits. And being called a racist because of it.

You know what offends me? That people get offended over people praying on Duck Dynasty or on the sidelines of a Football game (Tebow) but not by Miley Cyrus dancing around like a Stripper on TV.

You know what offends me? That people are so stupid and overly sensitive nowadays that they become offended over NOTHING! Seriously screw Political Correctness, it's responsible for making our society into sissies!
Goodness - for one advocating that people should get offended LESS often - you certainly have a mighty long list.

Ironic, huh?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,314,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Please..... People need to stop being offended by such stupid things. The average person who has a Dixie Flag is not racist, their just proud of their Southern Culture /Heritage. That or maybe they're just big Lynard Skynard fans?

You know what offends me? Children being shot in our schools.

You know what offends me? That guns and gun owners are falsely blamed for such tragedies and People want to use them to take our gun rights away.

You know what offends me? Innocent babies being seen as an inconvenience and not a miracle and being killed because of it.

You know what offends me? Having a President who thinks the Constitution is flawed and should be ignored.

You know what offends me? That society is so accepting of violence and drugs (not referring to pot) in our culture but not Jesus or God.

You know what offends me? Forcing people to get Obamacare even though they could never afford it.

You know what offends me? That people have to starve or live in ghettos because welfare programs keeps them dependent on the Government.

You know what offends me? That women can't carry guns to protect themselves from rapes or attacks because some places don't believe in the right to bear arms.

You know what offends me? Having to pay an asinine amount of taxes.

You know what offends me? Disagree with the homosexual lifestyle and get called a bigot even though you don't hate gay people.

You know what offends me? Disagree with the president and called a racist even though you don't hate black people.

You know what offends me? People come into this country illegally and don't want to assimilate into our culture and abuse our benefits. And being called a racist because of it.

You know what offends me? That people get offended over people praying on Duck Dynasty or on the sidelines of a Football game (Tebow) but not by Miley Cyrus dancing around like a Stripper on TV.

You know what offends me? That people are so stupid and overly sensitive nowadays that they become offended over NOTHING! Seriously screw Political Correctness, it's responsible for making our society into sissies!
Wow. You're pretty sensitive and easily offended.

You need thicker skin REALLY bad.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,702,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Goodness - for one advocating that people should get offended LESS often - you certainly have a mighty long list.

Ironic, huh?
The things that offend me are actual real things. Not dumb stuff like a flag or people praying in public.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM

25,899 posts, read 16,621,443 times
I guess you lose a war but still think you can display the flag? Seems like a loser move to me.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,693,864 times
In the last 5 days we've had two specific threads in P&OC on Georgia.
One: Where the small rural medical centers that treat the poor are closing because the Georgia Republican run legislature refused to expand Medicaid so that more of their "poor people"(code for blacks) could be covered with health care.

Two: The same republican legislature spends their time passing a law approving the distribution of the Confederate Flag plates instead. A total slap in the face of every black person in the state and a reinforcement for every white racist. The level of total suckage is complete.

It's a "Battle Flag" from crying out loud! It's not even an official state flag of any state. A battle flag! When do you fly a battle flag? When you are in battle. There is no battle. Not unless you guys are picking a fight. I think it's more of a finger in the face of all the blacks in the state and a finger in the face of federal authority.
You say it doesn't mean to be offensive to blacks but black people on this board are telling you that it is offensive and what foul histories it brings to their minds.

Heritage my ass. It's a statement and anybody with half a brain knows exactly what that statement is. Who the hell do you think you're kidding?
You claim that To you, it is a proud brave expression of your past as translated by you. But to black people and those from the north it is an expression of human bondage, misery, death and destruction. Families, towns and cities torn apart. All your mother's sons dead. At one time A terrible threat to the entire nation.
So your symbol is an ugly truth.
And this is what you want to wave in the faces of the people? This is the symbolism you want, to represent who you are?

Last edited by mohawkx; 02-21-2014 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies