Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Any countries use this model of taxation?
I think it was called the USSR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nah Im only a 20%'er.
Quote:
Really? Im at the top end of the income tax brackets, even at 75% that money would be worth earning.
If you are a "20%'er", that means your income is around $70k - according to this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bmIbrwZpxF...duals-2012.png

Edit:
According to the New York Times calculator, your household income would be $102k to put you at a 20%'er.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rcent-map.html

----------

At 75% tax, you'd be bringing home around $25k.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you are a "20%'er", that means your income is around $70k - according to this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bmIbrwZpxF...duals-2012.png

Edit:
According to the New York Times calculator, your household income would be $102k to put you at a 20%'er.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rcent-map.html

----------

At 75% tax, you'd be bringing home around $25k.
Being in the top 20% doesn't mean i am making "around" 70K, it means im making MORE then 70K.

Theres two ways of looking at this, lets say at a 75% flat tax, we provide a 2K per person per month basic income. Id be doing great. (btw that 75% flat tax IS about what it would take to provide a 2K per month basic income to every man woman and child). If we taxed everyone at 75% and provided no benefit you would have a point. But heres the thing, taxes provides benefits. How efficiently they do so is the question you should discuss. And corporate tax? Represents less then 9% of all taxes collected. Turns out big companies are pretty good at using loopholes.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Inflation is not a normal part of economics. Inflation is a direct result of the scheme known as the fractional banking where every dollar is borrowed into existence at interest. When you purchase an automobile for say $10000 you float a loan at interest which means the actual price of the vehicle is $10000+interest. The money used to purchase that vehicle never existed prior to your borrowing it and is loaned into existence at the point you sign the contract. The price of the vehicle has just been inflated via the interest on your signature on the loan. This same phenomena happens when the US government borrows the money it needs to place into circulation from the Federal Reserve.

If the Treasury printed the money the government needed as the Constitution dictates, and the fractional banking system was eliminated, there would be no inflation and your earning would not loose value when you attempted to save them.
Everyone paying a mortgage would be hosed just to start off with. Seriously, inflation serves a purpose, it cause people to invest instead of just letting their money sit in a bank like you want. You arent even trying to educate yourself on the purpose of inflation, or why we have inflation target.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Interesting, I missed that reply to me. I took my 44% number from another study of taxation at the time. I assure you I didn't just estimate it. Even at the rate you indicated it is still FAR FAR higher then todays. But a long ways from 75% effective. Except...it was in regards to federal taxation, how much more did state taxes, and other taxation add to it? I suspect for many the effective hit 60%. But I have no actual numbers to figure that out with.
.30 vs. .25 is not "FAR FAR" higher, the way I see it.

Good point about state taxes. In my state of WA taxes have gone through the roof over the last several decades. But the tax increases have all been regressive, i.e. disproportionately coming out of the pockets of the poor. Sales taxes, gas taxes liquor taxes, etc.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:16 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Please cite a source or example of a Democrat running for any state or Federal political office in the last 20 years advocating such a thing.
The thread was about raising the rate to 75 percent my question stands. If dems in this thread think 75 percent is good why not 100

Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
R
It is NOT unjust to take 50% of anyones income. Thats also wordsmithing.
It is unjust to take .1% of anyone's income.

It is theft of your labor and it is immoral in every aspect.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Dimmyocrats drool at the thought of building an even greater New-Deal country. That is the plan when the Meeegrantays give the Doltocrats an even great share of power.

Yes, raise taxes higher and higher.....build the great failed monster called Fedgov EVEN bigger. More Baby Momma Bennies, all day Babysitting/brainwashing for your kiddies,
Osamacare2 = UHC........on and on!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,870 times
Top marginal tax rate on the rich was something like 90% from 1954 to 1971. This era was also the golden age of America and had the biggest improvement in the middle class.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Top marginal tax rate on the rich was something like 90% from 1954 to 1971. This era was also the golden age of America and had the biggest improvement in the middle class.
I'm sure that had nothing to do with the destruction of the industrialized world now did it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies