Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I think it was called the USSR.
And now Russia has a 13% flat tax and we hitch rides with them to outer space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Everyone paying a mortgage would be hosed just to start off with. Seriously, inflation serves a purpose, it cause people to invest instead of just letting their money sit in a bank like you want. You arent even trying to educate yourself on the purpose of inflation, or why we have inflation target.
Educate myself? Seriously? Think about it, what you earn off inflation is more than offset by the interest you pay. Inflation only benefits banks, manufacturing, and governments, it is a bain for most consumers. That is not to say it is not possible to make money from inflation, I have made more than my share, but I fully realize that my windfall has been at the expense of others.
As an economic policy, it creates the kind of wealth inequality we have today. Half the people in this country today could not put there hands on $2000 cash within one week without resorting to some kind of financing.
That is a country of poor people who have been victimized by an inflation based fractional banking system designed by bankers for the benefit of bankers.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, are you a 10%'er, a 5%'er, a 1%'er or a .1%'er?
Why is that relevant? I stated what I was.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Educate myself? Seriously? Think about it, what you earn off inflation is more than offset by the interest you pay. Inflation only benefits banks, manufacturing, and governments, it is a bain for most consumers. That is not to say it is not possible to make money from inflation, I have made more than my share, but I fully realize that my windfall has been at the expense of others.
As an economic policy, it creates the kind of wealth inequality we have today. Half the people in this country today could not put there hands on $2000 cash within one week without resorting to some kind of financing.
That is a country of poor people who have been victimized by an inflation based fractional banking system designed by bankers for the benefit of bankers.
Yes educate yourself, you're being purposefully ignorant. Why don't you Google it? This isn't horrifically complex, I even pointed out the specific reason why low levels of inflation are good.....and you ignored it.

Keep in mind I think a inflation rate of 4% and higher is bad, and 1% and lower is bad. The exact number in between those is open to debate amongst economists, with 2 being the most common number, but 3% being discussed heavily.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Yes educate yourself, you're being purposefully ignorant. Why don't you Google it? This isn't horrifically complex, I even pointed out the specific reason why low levels of inflation are good.....and you ignored it.

Keep in mind I think a inflation rate of 4% and higher is bad, and 1% and lower is bad. The exact number in between those is open to debate amongst economists, with 2 being the most common number, but 3% being discussed heavily.
No, ANY inflation is bad. Deflation is deadly to those in debt. The ONLY reason you find all those idiotic theories about inflation being "good" is that it encourages debt and financing, since debt is repaid in cheaper and easier to get currency.

Inflation robs the purchasing power of your earnings away from you, which is precisely why everyone is in debt and the poor stay poor - because SAVING to own or buy is extremely difficult. What you save purchases less and less over time. Inflation sponsored by government ROBS the people of their earnings for the purpose of buying votes by liberals. It steals from the earners and savers to be spent now, at the cost of the future.

And you call other people ignorant?!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Obamacare is a very close second influence on our economy until 2016.

Then Obamacare will be number one.
Oh, no way.

Tax policy is ENTIRE reason the medical system is so incredibly expensive and so unresponsive to market forces. Obamacare's just a worsening of that, but the impact on the medical system of tax policy is large and the economic impact of it with the Obamacare costs it imposes (and worsens) may very well collapse the economy.

Today, you buy a pen, a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, and most other commodities for a small fraction of an hour's income. The efficiencies capitalism has created are staggering to the mind. Yet, the cost of a simple doctor's visit have risen over the years, in terms of how long it takes you to earn it.

Why? No free market influence. Why no free market influence? Tax policy, which encourages employer ( and thereby, insurance) paid health care. That single thing has changed a routinely purchased commodity into something employers provide with no market or affordability feedback and the cost increases, compared to say, commodity foods, the wholesale price of most commodities, is astronomical.

If health care had been subject to free market pressures, like food, today, health care would be so inexpensive few would worry about it, just like few of us worry about being able to buy apples or tomatoes. We pay drastically inflated prices for those, but the efficiencies of the market are such that we don't even notice the extra cost of the transportation, storage, and so on that's now built into them.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Admit it, you just make up "stuff" to get the right-wing rabble roused.
Nope just proposed a question no one has answered

Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Why is that relevant? I stated what I was.
Because you brought up your income level and how much you feel you should pay.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Benefits Banks:
Because prices increase more people are forced to borrow. Housing was a boon because it forced people to borrow outlandish amounts to finance a house.

Benefits Government:
Pay increases, a second job = more tax money into government coffers. Just like minimum wage increases. People would be better off demanding lower taxes instead of demanding higher wages. At least with lower taxes you get to keep more of the money you earn. With higher wages you'll pay higher taxes.

Manufacturing:
Not sure, they have to increase prices to offset their cost.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, ANY inflation is bad. Deflation is deadly to those in debt. The ONLY reason you find all those idiotic theories about inflation being "good" is that it encourages debt and financing, since debt is repaid in cheaper and easier to get currency.

Inflation robs the purchasing power of your earnings away from you, which is precisely why everyone is in debt and the poor stay poor - because SAVING to own or buy is extremely difficult. What you save purchases less and less over time. Inflation sponsored by government ROBS the people of their earnings for the purpose of buying votes by liberals. It steals from the earners and savers to be spent now, at the cost of the future.

And you call other people ignorant?!!!
Yes I do. When you disagree with the vast majority of economists you have to come up with a pretty good justification to do so, or a really compelling argument. You have neither. You want to see what deflation does? Go look at Japan. When just leaving your money in your bank doing nothing increases its value....your money is not going to move, you aren't going to invest. Even if its break even many would do nothing with it. Inflation is what makes our economy functional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies