Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times

Advertisements

Is this where corporate culture is taking us?

In case you are wondering I am definitely a right wing member of the tea party.

Taking advantage of low construction costs Wal Mart is doing some remodeling of their stores around the nation.

Nothing big just redoing some things adding pharmacies and optician shops. On my side of the work most seem to be going for $8 to $15k and seeing how our average jobs are $50k it's pretty small stuff.

But there seems to be a lot and if you take 20 jobs @ $12k each it all goes into the kitty and mounts up.

So I bid one and got it. Fine, I was expecting a standard two or three page contract or purchase order but what I got was an 87 page contract.

This is where it gets really weird, they wanted. They wanted certified payroll for everyone working in the company, even me, backed up with copies of all payroll check pay stubs going back three months.

Just who the heck do they think they are?

So I called the contract administrator to clarify asking if they were serious. The answer was "yes, we need it to insure we are not gouged on change orders" to which I replied "Hell will freeze over before I give you that information."

Long silence. It was if nobody had ever raised the objection before which I found shocking.

With this kind of idiot corporate culture I didn't want the stinking job. The ghost of good old Sam could shove his jobs.

So I told them I didn't want the job and to give it to some other sucker. I will go to hell before I allow WalMart to have my social security number and payroll information or the information of anyone else who works for me. Imagine it laying for years in WalMarts computers just waiting to be looked at by anyone and everyone... "Hey Joe, look at this the guy down the street makes four times what you make".....

I've worked on DoD projects in secure areas and have never been asked for information like this. Certified payroll reports yes but nothing going back three months on unrelated projects.

I find this very upsetting especially on top of the news where the CEO of Google mouthed blabber about young people changing their names to escape their youthful past digressions. Google better pray I am never on a jury in charge of awarding damages for wrongful information because I would award 100 trillion dollars.

Really bothersome. If they can ask me, someone that can afford to tell them to shove it, garbage like this what do they demand from someone desperate for a stinking job without benefits?

Tell ya what, WalMart, I'll give you mine when you give me yours.

So we are fighting back. Might cost me a few bucks a month but no more shopping at WalMart or Sam's. Not one dime.

Corporate America, you suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Actually, I think that they require the payroll records to ensure that no illegal immigrants are performing work on their behalf. Because of the major lawsuit they were involved in over contractors employing illegal immigrants. They might be behaving over-diligently, but the lawsuit was no small potatoes to them, either. And if some contractors balk, others will comply. For them, it's a risk-management issue.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, I think that they require the payroll records to ensure that no illegal immigrants are performing work on their behalf. Because of the major lawsuit they were involved in over contractors employing illegal immigrants. They might be behaving over-diligently, but the lawsuit was no small potatoes to them, either. And if some contractors balk, others will comply. For them, it's a risk-management issue.
If that was the problem they could have solved it by asking for I-9's http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf which they did and which I would have fully complied with.

They wanted three months payroll stubs.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
You sure showed them didn't you!!! Nice rant. Honestly the reason for the payroll verification probably had more to do with not using contractors that hire illegals for work. If you remember Wal -Mart got hammered when a cleaning contractor was found using illegal aliens for cleaning laborers. I will agree working for Mega corporations is a difficult task.
I had a contract with Pulte homes for several years before being outbid in 2009. The paperwork was tremendous but it was a very lucrative contract. As a side Pulte called last month and said the contractor that outbid me went bankrupt and they wanted my back. LMAO I told them to go to hell also. I won't work for another large mega corporation again as a contractor.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-18-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
If that was the problem they could have solved it by asking for I-9's http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf which they did and which I would have fully complied with.

As I said, they may have been overly diligent. But the lawsuit was quite costly for them.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:

Don't worry you exercised your right to refuse a contract. I'm sure within about 10 minutes you hanging up they callled another contractor that was happy to comply.

You made your choice and they made theirs. Sounds fair to me.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
As I said, they may have been overly diligent. But the lawsuit was quite costly for them.
Wal-Mart has experienced problems in the past with contractors using illegal immigrants. Not only is it a legal problem. It generates negative publicity.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:

I've worked on DoD projects in secure areas and have never been asked for information like this. Certified payroll reports yes but nothing going back three months on unrelated projects.
A small business man finds thetThe evil gov'mt more small business friendly than Wal-Mart!!!???

Heart be still!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:

Would the I-9 have solved the problem that DC mentioned above? It seems that the I-9 resolves pre-employment conditions, but does it answer for Wal-mart the legal status? Couldn't anyone simply fill out an I-9 and assert legality? Doesn't it have to be checked by the government first? What do you receive from the government after you've submitted the I-9?

I'm not questioning you assertion, just trying to understand how it works on your end.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
You can thank our fantastic legal system for your troubles. When you get sued at the clip WalMart does, you've got to do everything you can to cover your tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies