Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
This is going to become problematic for Christian business owners. Just wait and see if gay activists don't seek out Christians for such services, then sue or force the business to close (as in the case with the wedding cake - I believe it was a test case and the business was selected for that). Gays are too much in everybody's faces pushing their agenda. It doesn't help their cause.
I couldn't agree with you more. This is how they plan to make Christianity irrelevant. They hate Christians, and they will continue to attack and bully them, just as they do on this forum.

I'm up for the fight. I won't back down.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It determines right from wrong.
The Spanish Inquisition was right?
The Salem Witch Trials were right?
The 30 Years War was right?
The troubles in Northern Ireland was/is right?
The Crusades were right?

Religion has nothing do with right and wrong.
It SHOULD have everything to do with right and wrong, but somehow it rarely seems to work out that way - rather it ends up being an excuse for one group of people to victimize another.
Religion has a TERRIBLE track record in regards to "determining right from wrong" - especially once it gets involved in the political/governmental arena.

Ken

Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The Bill was not about LGBT, that was just the catalyst for protest. Brewer vetoed it because the Bill allowed any business owner to avoid a lawsuit based on state anti-discrimination laws so long as they held a deep religious reason. Translation, you can refuse service by claiming you have a deep religious belief against dark skin people, or women who’s heads are not covered, a person with a confederate flag on their jacket, men with beards, women with beards, a person with a weapon, someone without a hoodie, and fat old white men who spend their whole life as professional politicians. This was not only a "gay" thing, it was an ‘open the floodgate’ thing.

Read the bill and show me where it has even one mention of gays, homosexuals, lesbian’s transgender... No, it doesn’t specify any person or group; it was not about who was refused, it is about the person doing the refusing ability to claim a deep held religious belief as the reason. In essence anyone could be legally denied service for pretty much any made up reason so long as the business claims it's based on their personal deep religious belief.
Hogwash!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It SHOULD have everything to do with right and wrong, but somehow it rarely seems to work out that way - rather it ends up being an excuse for one group of people to victimize another.
Religion has a TERRIBLE track record in regards to "determining right from wrong" -
Ken

So does government.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
So does government.
That's true - all the MORE reason why religion should "keep its' hands clean" and stay out of government.
Power corrupts - that's a simple fact - so if religion does not want to be corrupted, it should stay OUT of power struggles. Religion is at it's best when it stays out of the quest for power and instead focuses of charity and good works at the local and individual level. Once it gets big and starts dabbling in politics, it becomes just as dirty and corrupted as any secular government.

Ken

Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It determines right from wrong.
No it doesn't. Religion has no place in secular politics.

A mind of sound judgment and in proper working order determines right from wrong as well as a strong moral compass. I do not need religion, a book, or something that doesn't exist to help me or tell me that.

I'm sorry that you need such things to determine right from wrong.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
No it doesn't. Religion has no place in secular politics.

A mind of sound judgment and in proper working order determines right from wrong as well as a strong moral compass. I do not need religion, a book, or something that doesn't exist to help me or tell me that.

I'm sorry that you need such things to determine right from wrong.
If there are no absolutes, then there are as many rights as there are wrongs, and it's a continually changing scene. That leads to nothing being right or wrong -- just what people make of it.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
If there are no absolutes, then there are as many rights as there are wrongs, and it's a continually changing scene. That leads to nothing being right or wrong -- just what people make of it.
That's precisely what right and wrong is - what society makes it of it. Society is a lot more than just the religious bible thumpers shoving their lifestyles down everyone's throats and homosexual people coming out of the closet.

What's morally right here might be morally wrong in Japan, or Ukraine, or wherever else and vice verse.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:26 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
I'm a small business owner... And an atheist. I don't get to discriminate against ANY of the people I hate.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The Spanish Inquisition was right?
The Salem Witch Trials were right?
The 30 Years War was right?
The troubles in Northern Ireland was/is right?
The Crusades were right?

Religion has nothing do with right and wrong.
Religion has a TERRIBLE track record in regards to "determining right from wrong" - especially once it gets involved in the political/governmental arena.

Ken
You are giving examples of people using religion as a shield to justify their own personal desires for power and control over others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies