Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Looking for racism around every corner eh? Where in the Hell did you get that I didn't like Mexicans? It's really quite simple. This is the United States of America! They live here!!!! They do not live in Mexico! Therefore, our country, our rules. If you want to come here in an attempt to better yourself, I don't care what country you're from! Work hard, put your time in (like my ancestors did) and learn to assimilate into OUR culture! Nobody is saying you can't celebrate where you came from! But you sure as Hell have no right to tell others that they can't wear an American flag shirt, because it MIGHT offend you! Don't like it? Simple! GTFO!!!
Contradicted your entire argument in one run-on paragraph,LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you saying this kid wore a US flag shirt all year long, if not then he chose specifically when to were it.

Also, i never said racist, that would have been dumb of me, especially considering Mexican isnt a race, its a nationality.
Who cares what day they were the shirts? That's not the point. The point is people are being offended over the dumbest things and that people might cause physical harm over something so stupid as an American Flag T - Shirt!

I know Mexicans are not a race, I believe in only one race, the human race. However in general everyday life they are referred to as such, and there was nothing that implied he had a problem with or didn't like Mexicans.

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Indeed. If it's sooooooo damn offensive, then perhaps they ought to consider relocating out of the country. You know it used to be when folks immigrated here, yes they kept and celebrated their heritage (which nobody denying or begrudging) but they also assimilated into the American culture. Now, it seems we must cater to everyone else. Do you think for one minute that if one of us moved to another country they would cater to us? Hell no! And I wouldn't expect them to. It would be up to me to learn their language, and assimilate into that culture.
This. My grandparents were all immigrants and they all spoke English in public because they thought to do otherwise was rude. My parents grew up in homes where English was rarely spoken, but they learned it at school, from friends, from TV, etc. They didn't have any issues. I grew up in a home where four to five languages were spoken regularly, sometimes all in a single conversation. No problems here either.

When I lived in a handful of countries in Europe, I never assumed anyone spoke English. I was not coddled or catered to. Due to my upbringing I already spoke those languages well enough to communicate but I didn't know curse words or slang or anything like that. I picked it up very quickly. I never asked for special treatment because I'm not special.

Neither are they.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
Quote:
Contradicted your entire argument in one run-on paragraph,LOL
He didn't contradict anything...

Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Who cares what day they were the shirts? That's not the point. The point is people are being offended over the dumbest things and that people might cause physical harm over something so stupid as an American Flag T - Shirt!

I know Mexicans are not a race, I believe in only one race, the human race. However in general everyday life they are referred to as such, and there was nothing that implied he had a problem with or didn't like Mexicans.
That is the point.

Let me be clear, im not debating over what the judge did, that was stupid( and in my opinion just like others, unconstitutional), but this thread and your post specifically arent about that.

You and others are arguing about the fact that these Mexicans(citizens or not) wanted to celebrate this holiday and that they intern were pissed to see the american flag.

But you are missing the key points here, these students chose to were those American flags to antagonize these students, they were saying it is wrong for these students of mexican heritage to celebrate this holiday.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Indeed. If it's sooooooo damn offensive, then perhaps they ought to consider relocating out of the country. You know it used to be when folks immigrated here, yes they kept and celebrated their heritage (which nobody denying or begrudging) but they also assimilated into the American culture. Now, it seems we must cater to everyone else. Do you think for one minute that if one of us moved to another country they would cater to us? Hell no! And I wouldn't expect them to. It would be up to me to learn their language, and assimilate into that culture.
Exactly. If I lived in Mexico, and they didn't allow people to wear American flag shirts, I would be fine with that. And if American immigrants were threatening to beat up Mexicans wearing Mexican flag shirts on July 4th, I would expect them to punish the American immigrants, not force the Mexicans to quit wearing their shirts.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
He didn't contradict anything...
Oh yes he did. I even highlighted it for you.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Why in the world is there so much controversy on everything?!?!?

Never thought people's clothing choice can cause such a reaction.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
That is the point.

Let me be clear, im not debating over what the judge did, that was stupid( and in my opinion just like others, unconstitutional), but this thread and your post specifically arent about that.

You and others are arguing about the fact that these Mexicans(citizens or not) wanted to celebrate this holiday and that they intern were pissed to see the american flag.

But you are missing the key points here, these students chose to were those American flags to antagonize these students, they were saying it is wrong for these students of mexican heritage to celebrate this holiday.
They should be able to wear American flag shirts any day they want for any reason they want. This is America. If I lived in Mexico, I wouldn't be offended if people chose to purposefully wear Mexican flag shirts on July 4th. I have no special right to force everyone to recognize an American holiday in a foreign country. And I have no right to be offended that people are celebrating their own flag in their own country.

If the Mexican students can't contain themselves, they should be punished. And if they are illegal, they should be sent back to their home country where they can celebrate Cinco de Mayo in peace.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Why in the world is there so much controversy on everything?!?!?

Never thought people's clothing choice can cause such a reaction.
Its not the fact that they wore the shirts, its when, where and why ?

for example, an "I love meat" shirt is fine to wear on a daily basis, but wear it to a vegetarian food fair and you might get some stares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies