Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:33 PM

947 posts, read 1,463,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes our energy use goes up yet our leader tries to destroy the coal industry which provides that energy. Well now we will have to all go "green" it appears. That means everything will just cost more. Greenies still haven't figured that out............but they are saving the world.........or so they are told.
Funny how the jobs in the coal industry are at all time high and coal exports are also at an all time and more coal is being pulled out of the ground under Obama then under Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
Funny how the jobs in the coal industry are at all time high and coal exports are also at an all time and more coal is being pulled out of the ground under Obama then under Bush.
I'm going to do something I don't like to. Make a generalization based upon perception as opposed to known fact.

If it was Bush the left would be all over him but as long as Obama says the right things he is going to get a pass.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Somebody should tell Al Gore.
AL Gore mansion was over a century old. Also it function as a full time office, with secret service being there full time and also Al Gore had the electricity coming from renewable sources like solar and geothermal which cost him more.

In reality his house didn't use more electricity then other houses in the area. As the snopes article showed claims that his home weren't eco friendly were bunk and the higher cost and electricity usage have been rational explanations.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm going to do something I don't like to. Make a generalization based upon perception as opposed to known fact.

If it was Bush the left would be all over him but as long as Obama says the right things he is going to get a pass.
So why do you claim Obama is killing the coal industry when in reality he is considered a huge friend of the coal industry and has gotten flack for promoting the notion of clean coal?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What a waste, but hey, if you call it "green" it must be better!

Report: DC's green-approved buildings using more energy | The Daily Caller

The free-market group analyzed the first round of energy usage data released by city officials Friday and found that large, privately-owned buildings that received the green energy certification Leadership in Energy Design (LEED) actually use more energy than buildings that didn’t receive this green stamp of approval.

Follow the money:

The city has collected $5.2 million in permit fees from the program since 2010.
The feds never seem to get past the color of things.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
2 years old? It's funny how defensive people get here. Unfortunately green technology is in the model T stage of development right now. I support efficient technology obviously but it just isn't there yet.

No, there is not any solar panels that will work that will return ROI in 4 years and much of the technology simply isn't well developed yet.

Many things go into how things work. Maybe someone's house has a lot of obstruction to the sun so solar is never going to be efficient for them for the forseeable future unless we want to start cutting down large swaths of tree's or to take down the neighbors second floor.

Is it possible that my low flow doesn't work as well as other because my house is 70 years old as opposed to new construction? Of course it could play a role.

But just ignore the actual realities of life today and make stupid comments if it makes you feel better. Newer more efficient technology is a good thing, I mean I'm glad we no longer have to pay someone to fill the street lamps with oil today but in our less than perfect world the extreme positions taken by many are stupid. Should we install and design better technology into new construction? Absolutely. Do we still need the old technology for years to come? Yes we will.
Wrong Solar Panels can do a ROI in four years. The issue is that the utilities do not want people to put solar panels on their houses so they do not want people to connect the panels to the grid and have the solar panel electricity production deducted from the electricity bill. It's why the Koch bros and others have championed banning the installation of solar panels on homes because it would make the electric power companies obsolete because a lot of solar panel owners have found they generate enough power they no longer pay electric bills but the electric company pays them.

Utilities Feeling Rooftop Solar Heat Start Fighting Back - Bloomberg

One Year With Solar Energy at Home: Mostly Sunny - Businessweek ROI for this guy was predicated to be 7 years.

California, Hawaii the ROI seems to be four years or less. Other states it's seven or even ten years. The panels have a 20 year life span.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
So why do you claim Obama is killing the coal industry when in reality he is considered a huge friend of the coal industry and has gotten flack for promoting the notion of clean coal?
Did I?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Man made tree's.............LOL.........thank you for proving my point. Tree's need co2........you folks are so lost it's scary.
Yes, they are buildings that also absorb CO2 and produce oxygen. It is quite impressive architecture, but I would never expect you to understand that based on your responses.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:

Personally I have not been a fan of Obama's energy policies and think he has been to friendly to dirty energy.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Personally I have not been a fan of Obama's energy policies and think he has been to friendly to dirty energy.
Not enough to vote for someone else though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies