Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If they are so smart, empathetic and emotional then why drown a baby in front of its mother just to eat out its tongue? Sounds a bit sadistic to me.
To an orca it is just lunch...Have you ever eaten veal? Do you know what veal is? Have you ever eaten eggs? Do you know what eggs are?

As humans are at the top of the land based food chain, orcas are at the very top of the oceans food chain and eat whatever they want, and that even includes white sharks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 11:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Does that mean that non-highly intelligent animals will be more likely to be kept in captivity?

No wonder we are seeing a rash of liberal politicians heading to prison.

Don't close SeaWorld - just make it a new federal prison and have the same shows with the naughty Dems being the stars of the show.

Splish-splash!

OK, I have to admit, I laughed a little at that. Just a little.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If they are so smart, empathetic and emotional then why drown a baby in front of its mother just to eat out its tongue? Sounds a bit sadistic to me.
It seems that as knowledge of self becomes more advanced, the capacity for knowledge of other selves increases at a similar rate, as does emotional complexity. When a being starts developing a functional awareness of other selves, they begin to understand that the pain they are capable of feeling can be inflicted on others. If they are intelligent, self-aware and emotionally complex (humans, dolphins, orcas, non-human great apes, elephants, corvids, etc) the capacity for recreational violence, vengeful behavior and cruelty will always be there, because an extremely complex mind is capable of forming more complex concepts, such as associating violence with fun, needing to "get back" at another animal that wronged them in some way, and is also much more susceptible to damage and distortion than a simple mind. I wouldn't be surprised if other intelligent species had their own equivalents of sociopaths, especially mammals. Our brains are really not different in any fundamental way.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I support this. Free the orcas! Blackfish opened my eyes to so much. I will never give Seaworld a dime ever again.
Me too. I won't set foot in that place ever again.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:09 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
It only make sense then, to ban the keeping of any creature.
Regardless of how well you treat them, there would be some curtailing of their inherent tendencies.
Oh, hey, wait! We do that to our children too! Don't hit, don't pee whenever and wherever you feel like it, don't cry or scream when you're displeased, don't....don't....don't...........FREE THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
"In the wild most orcas travel up to 100 miles a day."
Killer Whales Not in Captivity: 7 Things You'll Never Learn at SeaWorld | TakePart

"In the wild orcas migrate 6000 miles each year, but not to feed or breed, a new study has found. Rather they traverse the sea at top speed, slowing as they reach warmer climes, to exfoliate, the study speculates."
Study suggests why orcas migrate north › News in Science (ABC Science)

If a orca was in a cage (1) mile across it would be a small cage.

How big are the orca cages at SeaWorld?
I covered why these types of shows are needed. You can address my point or continue with your "cage" argument.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
How is the film one-sided? Sea World presents one side, the happy side, and the documentary presents the ugly side of captivity. Taking animals from their natural environment and try to change their natural behavior? It's like trying to change someone's DNA.
I would never disagree that you shouldn't take the single word of either side to make your decisions.

Quote:
How many tigers/lions attack their trainers? They get them when they are pups and they "train" them and these animals grow up and after years of being together, at one point the animal's natural instinct kicks in and attacks the trainer.

It's foolish to comment on a documentary that you didn't bother to watch.
As I said, I've watched parts of it. Lions and Tigers and Bears attack people in zoo's pretty regularly. Without zoo's though there would at some point not be any left to attack anyone.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would never disagree that you shouldn't take the single word of either side to make your decisions.

As I said, I've watched parts of it. Lions and Tigers and Bears attack people in zoo's pretty regularly. Without zoo's though there would at some point not be any left to attack anyone.
Animals kept in zoos are not "trained" to perform tricks and thought of as "pets" and react to confinement and the limitations of their own animal instincts.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Animals kept in zoos are not "trained" to perform tricks and thought of as "pets" and react to confinement and the limitations of their own animal instincts.
Of course they do. A movie doesn't make an Orca different from a lion or chimpanzee or a giraffe. This is the problem with basing your opinion on a movie.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
How is the film one-sided? Sea World presents one side, the happy side, and the documentary presents the ugly side of captivity. Taking animals from their natural environment and try to change their natural behavior? It's like trying to change someone's DNA.

How many tigers/lions attack their trainers? They get them when they are pups and they "train" them and these animals grow up and after years of being together, at one point the animal's natural instinct kicks in and attacks the trainer.

It's foolish to comment on a documentary that you didn't bother to watch.

I watched the whole thing and its just sad.. it's all about money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies