Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 03:22 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,893,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Question answered as I suspected you are young. You came of age in a more racially tolerant era, which will impact your perspective. Life BEFORE 1990 was a good deal less tolerant than it was afterwards.

So Obama will have a different perspective, and might be more sensitive to certain slights, which you mightnt even notice. If some one was following you in a store, unless they made it blatantly obviou,s you wouldnt even notice, where as some one like Obama, who is in his 50s, might.

So as I said people have a perspective based on what they have experienced in life. Dont ridicule people just because they knew life in a different era, so might be more sensitive about it than you will be. After all its many of those instincts which kept a 20 y/o Obama out of trouble when he was in California.
Nice strawman you've built to tear down, show me where I ridiculed Obama or anyone else who is more sensitive about being followed. The post you replied to was me questioning why being "Black' is about experiences and not color. That sounds like same tired old "not black enough" argument even Obama had to deal with when he initially ran for President.

I am very sensitive to the plight of those who came before me, my oldest relative is over 100 and her father was actually a slave. Her and many others in my family lived through the WORST of Jim Crow. I've heard enough stories not to have to be lectured by someone on the internet.

My post was simply disagreeing with black being about experiences and not color, yet I earn a lecture.

I guess to you guys I'm really white, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,957,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
No it isn't. The last thing they should do is hook up with the enemy. Regardless of party affiliation.
Uh; maybe some Black people DON'T see us white people as the "enemy" and have more in common with us in culture than with a bunch of ignorant and racist hood rats.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Really? Why dont you check the intermarriage rates of black men vs. black women? Double.

Indeed the angst of many black women is that the "best" black men are marrying whites. Not necessarily true, but it significantly shapes their perspectives. Review the issues that black male/white female couples go through. Mainly irate black women distressed that white women are "stealing" their men.
Oh well. Those Black ladies who are mad over white ladies "stealing" the best Black dudes really need to drop that attitude. The ONLY way to force those good dudes BACK is by bringing back Jim Crow. Sheesh!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Nice strawman you've built to tear down, show me where I ridiculed Obama or anyone else who is more sensitive about being followed. The post you replied to was me questioning why being "Black' is about experiences and not color. That sounds like same tired old "not black enough" argument even Obama had to deal with when he initially ran for President.

I am very sensitive to the plight of those who came before me, my oldest relative is over 100 and her father was actually a slave. Her and many others in my family lived through the WORST of Jim Crow. I've heard enough stories not to have to be lectured by someone on the internet.

My post was simply disagreeing with black being about experiences and not color, yet I earn a lecture.

I guess to you guys I'm really white, LOL
To some "Black" people, you ARE an "Oreo", probably because you have a good life and the fools are jealous. Their loss, not your problem.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,182,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Clarence Thomas, Deneen Borelli, George Schuyler, Angela McGlowan, John McWhorter (who's more of a libertarian), Lisa Fritsch, among others, are/were just a few examples.

Is there something more to this?
I refuse to answer this question, so that I don't get called, racist, prejudiced, biased, intolerant, sectarian, xenophobic, narrow-minded, opinionated, small-minded, chauvinistic, discriminatory, sexist, contemptuousness, one-sided, partisan, hostile, inimical, jaundiced, unfriendly, predisposed, or any other words that can be used negatively to talk about someone who is worried about what the race of the spouse is.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,893,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To some "Black" people, you ARE an "Oreo", probably because you have a good life and the fools are jealous. Their loss, not your problem.
Bingo! I've been hearing that all my life, even though the bulk of my childhood was spent living in the projects.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Bingo! I've been hearing that all my life, even though the bulk of my childhood was spent living in the projects.
It's real sad because in 2014 the hood rats would call Ms Parks and Dr King "Oreos" since they'd be shaking their heads in anger.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 PM

280 posts, read 687,966 times
Mia Love is another example

Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,361,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Right, because if you're black and conservative, clearly you're a uncle tom. Right Liberals?
Actually, since judging from that response you are not black and therefore have no real idea why one black would refer to another as being an "Uncle Tom". Here is a little knowledge for you, there is no probelm with a black republican except for the ones who say and do dumb things against other blacks in order to please their white republican counter parts or make a complete ass out of themselves on their behalf. The perfect example is Herman "Uncle Ruckus" Cain

Old 03-14-2014, 09:04 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,361,744 times
Here is a fun fact. Most blacks are very conservative in their thinking but the republican party has a bad habit of using them to (attempt) to prove to everyone else that they are not racist and narrow minded. That being said, whenever a conservative black person marries a white woman, who may or may not share his views means very little as a whole to the black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies