Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,573,754 times

Advertisements

and other pain killing opioids.
I don't take any of these, and don't like Vicodin, but I imagine many will disagree with this recommendation.
My question is, why does America lead the globe in chronic pain sufferers?

Quote:
In a monumental pushback against America's narcotic painkiller epidemic, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel recommended Friday that stricter controls be placed on popular narcotic painkillers such as Vicodin.

The 19-10 vote will be used by the FDA to decide if drugs containing the opioid hydrocodone should have the same restrictions as morphine and OxyContin, which contains oxycodone.

Ever since coming on the market 40 years ago, hydrocodone drugs have had fewer restrictions. However, as overdose deaths and addiction rates soared over the past decade, hydrocodone as been at the center of a fight to reform the use of opioids and deal with America's epidemic of painkiller abuse.

The vote recommends that hydrocodone products be moved from the more relaxed controls of Schedule III to Schedule II under the Controlled Substances Act.

Lynn Webster, president-elect of the American Academy of Pain Medicine, said putting tighter controls on hydrocodone will reduce prescribing and abuse.

"I hope chronic pain patients and acute pain patients don't suffer as a result," said Webster, who spoke at the panel hearing but was not a panel member.
Karen Hopkins, a consumer representative on the panel, noted that Americans use 99% of the hydrocodone consumed in the world.
FDA panel votes to place tighter controls on narcotics like Vicodin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,464,756 times
addiction

Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,291,573 times
I know a lot of chronic pain sufferers who will have a difficult time with this new classification, for several reasons.

Firstly, some doctors will not prescribe Sched II drugs, period.

Secondly, you must have a paper prescription for each fill of Sched II drugs, necessitating either picking up a new paper script (hard to do when you struggle through each day already) or having one mailed to you (some offices are better at this than others).

Thirdly, it will increase the workload on doctors' offices, with many requiring that the Sched II patients be seen in person each time, which,

Fourthly, will mean extra copays to people who frequently are already disabled and on fixed incomes.

There's also a big difference between physical dependence for pain control, and addiction a la heroin, for pleasure.

I am in chronic pain due to arthritis in the hip and knee, but don't take vicodin/hydrocodone. Mine is well-controlled with diet, prescription NSAIDs, and occasional tramadol.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,940 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
and other pain killing opioids.
I don't take any of these, and don't like Vicodin, but I imagine many will disagree with this recommendation.
My question is, why does America lead the globe in chronic pain sufferers?

FDA panel votes to place tighter controls on narcotics like Vicodin
Well, what the heck are people supposed to do when in PAIN, serious pain? Geeezzz, isn't that what those medications were created for? I recently broke my wrist. They initially gave me Vicodin. Actually I broke both bones in my are just slightly above my wrist. On a Friday. Had to go to emergency care. The Vicodin they gave me BARELY even took the edge off the pain and I was stuck with that all weekend. By Monday, I was almost in tears!! That was when I saw the orthopedist; apparently he had a greater appreciation for the level of pain of broken bones!! He gave me a different prescription.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
More money for the cartels.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 AM

389 posts, read 617,372 times
Cruel and unusual to restrict the SAFEST and BEST method to treat moderate to severe pain. Sounds unconstitutional, is Obama behind this?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,644,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I

Well, what the heck are people supposed to do when in PAIN, serious pain? Geeezzz, isn't that what those medications were created for? I recently broke my wrist. They initially gave me Vicodin. Actually I broke both bones in my are just slightly above my wrist. On a Friday. Had to go to emergency care. The Vicodin they gave me BARELY even took the edge off the pain and I was stuck with that all weekend. By Monday, I was almost in tears!! That was when I saw the orthopedist; apparently he had a greater appreciation for the level of pain of broken bones!! He gave me a different prescription.
Indeed. Wbats left of my right ankle requires I use sometbing a bit stronger than advil.I take Norco, and still have to contact the doctor month to month, but it can be recilled by phone. If that changes and Norco is treated the same as Per ocet, I will take the Percocet. My doctor already said with the damage, my pain levels, and the fact I have a very physical job, justifies the stronger drug, but I have to drive an hour and a half one way for an office visit. Guess my budget will be taking a hit. Its a quality of life thing, being as I really cant afford the surgery to repair the damage, and an amputation is the only other surgical option besides. So I take the drugs, and it works.
It's the always tbe legitimate sufferers who pay tbe price for abusers. Ain't life grand.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,654,432 times
Bad idea. Are there abuses? Sure. Should people with genuine need suffer as a result? No.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM

15,537 posts, read 10,518,276 times
Gee, it would be nice to know that pain meds would be there if I injured myself or something. What are they going to do, give us bullets to bite on? Never mind, we won't have those either. This is getting beyond silly. Just crack down on the abusers and ratty physicians, they know who they are. I dunno why we ALL have to always suffer because some can't control themselves. They already have rules in place, enforce them.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
It's ridiculous that doctors will so quickly prescribe this highly addictive drug and for pain that is not all that great. I know dentists will prescribe it for 18 year olds getting wisdom teeth removed -- or for a slice wound after stitches are put in.

Yes, there might be some soreness after wisdom teeth are removed but no one would need such a strong drug for something that minor -- no one.

Actually pain is your friend in most cases, it warns you that something is wrong and to go easy on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies