Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

I've lived in very red parts of red states, in east TN, oppressed by a fanatically religious majority and a government elected in kind. I'm currently living in a very blue part of a blue state, Boston, and have seen liberals elected in kind. Both are nearly equally disgusting.

In TN, the government is into your sexual and religious business. In MA, the government is more into your financial business with taxes and regulations. But nowhere have I felt more oppressed than in the "purple" state of VA where the VSP is lined up every five miles apprehending people for minor traffic violations. It is the worst state I have ever been in for government oppression.

Have you noticed any major or nominal differences in oppression between red and blue states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've lived in very red parts of red states, in east TN, oppressed by a fanatically religious majority and a government elected in kind. I'm currently living in a very blue part of a blue state, Boston, and have seen liberals elected in kind. Both are nearly equally disgusting.

In TN, the government is into your sexual and religious business. In MA, the government is more into your financial business with taxes and regulations. But nowhere have I felt more oppressed than in the "purple" state of VA where the VSP is lined up every five miles apprehending people for minor traffic violations. It is the worst state I have ever been in for government oppression.

Have you noticed any major or nominal differences in oppression between red and blue states?
No, basically just what you've said. I'm in Texas where the gubmint is all up in your bedroom and making your children pray...oops, I mean "observe a moment of silence" in schools.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
It's no different. Both sides just want to control you with their own agenda. The only question is whether you want to be force-fed chocolate ice cream or vanilla.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, basically just what you've said. I'm in Texas where the gubmint is all up in your bedroom and making your children pray...oops, I mean "observe a moment of silence" in schools.
That's funny. I've lived in Texas all my life and not once has any government official entered my bedroom. Maybe you should change the locks. As for your children observing a moment of silence, it is probably the only moment of silence the teachers get all day. Give em a break..

Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Come to libertarian Colorado!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That's funny. I've lived in Texas all my life and not once has any government official entered my bedroom. Maybe you should change the locks. As for your children observing a moment of silence, it is probably the only moment of silence the teachers get all day. Give em a break..
I've lived in TN and never had anyone enter my bedroom either. However, if I was homosexual, I'd at least be frowned upon by the state government.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I've noticed no real differences.

My homestate is generally pretty live and let live, but we have an astounding number of kooks in elective office.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've lived in TN and never had anyone enter my bedroom either. However, if I was homosexual, I'd at least be frowned upon by the state government.
If you are not jumping up and down screaming "look at me, I'm homosexual" how do they know?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
I've felt more freedom in my town, since voters passed legalizing liquor by the drink on Sunday in the county in 2012. Now I can enjoy a peach margarita with my Mexican dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant on Sunday as well as the rest of the days of the week.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Come to libertarian Colorado!
Is that the same libertarian Colorado that just passed one of the strictest gun control laws in the nation? That's some libertarianism. I think I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies