Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM

259 posts, read 151,708 times

Advertisements

I am really glad Obama looks at our labor laws, so inconsistent with the rest of the industrialized world. No guaranteed lunches, no coffee breaks, no sick days and no vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
So he proposes to take managers off yearly salary and make them hourly wage workers instead ?
I would consider that a demotion.

Sure they work some extra hours just like any other exempt employee.
But I wouldn't venture to say they are working 60 hour weeks.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
First 4 years in the military I did just that, and year 4, I worked overtime that very few people who have not spent a year in an active combat theater know anything about, the tune of ~110 hour weeks average, and for less than $23k. And maybe that experience is what taught me to shut my yap, be a good employee/crew member, and just do the job instead of griping about it.

All Obama is doing with this is giving sad sacks another way to self-identify, thus giving employers an easier time in figuring out who to promote and who to downsize. Smart employees will be like me, stupid ones will trumpet their overlord Barack and his formal decree.

All kinds of ways to be "rewarded" in the real world...all kinds....
Did you get a signing bonus? Re-enlistment bonus? Combat pay? BAH?

There is nothing comparable about this experience and to suggest otherwise is dishonest.

As for the OP: good.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:23 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,648,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
no, that is not a personal attack. personal attack is a slander. this is criticisim, light criticism. me being called a moron or an idiot is a personal attack.
It's an ad hominem actually. You are attempting to dismiss my argument based not on the argument itself, but on your invented portrayal of me, the speaker. You have taken the all too common tactic of "I have decided that something about you the person is contradictory to something you have said. I have no proof of this, no facts, no evidence, but I decided it is so, thus it is so. Therefore, your argument is invalid."

That said, your belief still has yet to redefine my reality, nor has your ad hominem successfully defeated any argument.

back to topic - I love when politicians are hellbound and determined to get their rear ends kicked by the law of unintended consequences. His polling is already dropping, and these little wand waves of his are desperate attempts to bolster the Democrat midterm chances, and they'll blow up in his face because he's a moron.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM

45,251 posts, read 26,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
I am really glad Obama looks at our labor laws, so inconsistent with the rest of the industrialized world. No guaranteed lunches, no coffee breaks, no sick days and no vacations.
Obamas arrogance knows no limit. Community organizers are ill equipped to determine workplace fairness.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Thank you, your post is a fabulous demonstration. Of ignorance.

Hardworking people who seek to be as valuable as possible to their employees, like our fellow poster, know that employers do not like to run the risk of underpaying good people. Underpaid but valuable employees can go across the street or down the block and make more money, so wise employers try to keep up.

I always suspected that liberals did not know this, or else they would be more pro-active about each person being more valuable to the rest of society--and spend less time arguing about minimum wage and work rules and the whole rest of the anti-jobs, anti-productivity agenda. Thank you for the descriptive label you use.
Seriously?

40% Of US Workers Now Earn Less Than 1968 Minimum Wage | Zero Hedge

How the recession turned middle-class jobs into low-wage jobs

Laid-Off US Workers Take Pay Cuts At New Jobs - Business Insider

Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM

259 posts, read 151,708 times
That's a beauty of second term: you don't have to watch the polls anymore. I hope Obama before he leaves the office will fix other labor laws....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's an ad hominem actually. You are attempting to dismiss my argument based not on the argument itself, but on your invented portrayal of me, the speaker. You have taken the all too common tactic of "I have decided that something about you the person is contradictory to something you have said. I have no proof of this, no facts, no evidence, but I decided it is so, thus it is so. Therefore, your argument is invalid."

That said, your belief still has yet to redefine my reality, nor has your ad hominem successfully defeated any argument.

back to topic - I love when politicians are hellbound and determined to get their rear ends kicked by the law of unintended consequences. His polling is already dropping, and these little wand waves of his are desperate attempts to bolster the Democrat midterm chances, and they'll blow up in his face because he's a moron.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,648,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did you get a signing bonus? Re-enlistment bonus? Combat pay? BAH?

There is nothing comparable about this experience and to suggest otherwise is dishonest.

As for the OP: good.
I worked unpaid overtime and did so for less than $23k. Check the pay scales yourself for E-4 less than 4 years service in 1991. My incentive pays (sea, hazard duty, combat theater no tax) for tax year 1991 came to ~$19k.

And you're right, the experiences aren't comparable. Your average manager has a far easier job, much less hazard and works fewer hours. This is kind of the point. Anyone who is ex-military, like me, kinda laughs off the notion of unpaid overtime the way your average civilian sees it.

Again, it's naked pandering to try and do anything to bolster his party's chances in the midterms.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,180,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So he proposes to take managers off yearly salary and make them hourly wage workers instead ?
I would consider that a demotion.

Sure they work some extra hours just like any other exempt employee.
But I wouldn't venture to say they are working 60 hour weeks.

Why do you consider this a demotion? I prefer being paid by the hour because I get OT as part of my contract. I bill for my time not what I produce.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 PM

17,457 posts, read 9,290,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
That's a beauty of second term: you don't have to watch the polls anymore. I hope Obama before he leaves the office will fix other labor laws....
Obama has never cared about the polls when it concerns his Decrees. If he continues to "fix" labor laws, we could end up with very few people who still have a 'full time' job.

He and the IRS took away the 40 hour work week, now he is going to turn salaried employees back into hourly employees and force them into a less than 30 hour work week. He is doing a swell job so far.

Quote:
In 2012, the share of the gross domestic income that went to workers fell to 42.6 percent, the lowest on record.
My favorite part of this article is the statement about "inflation" ..... which the Federal Government swears we don't have. :roll eyes:

Quote:
Mr. Bernstein said, "Remember, inflation has eroded this threshold a great deal over the years, so it's hard to see why it's unfair to make that adjustment."
Obama and his Team own the erosion and the uncertainty that the Business Community has to live with daily ..... they just never know when King Obama is going to make another Decree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies