Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
You really have no idea what this is all about then do you? Do you have any idea at all why the NSA is doing what they`re doing? Did you hear about the events of 9-11 2001?
The spying pre-dates the patriot act. The patriot act was a whole other level, but did not start this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Speaking of Snowden - here's a fascinating must-read on Julian Assange.
He describes the Australian as being "a little put out by the global superstardom" of Edward Snowden following his leaks to Glenn Greenwald and the Guardian. While Snowden was marooned in Moscow airport, writes O'Hagan, "Julian was keen to help him and keen to be seen to be helping him"; shortly afterwards Assange sent Harrison to Moscow where she acted for a time as the American's "legal advisor".

When he asked Assange "just how good" was Snowden, O'Hagan writes, he was told: "He's number nine." "In the world? Among computer hackers? And where are you?" "I'm number three."

Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I did. You didn't respond to it.

It's pretty much agreed now that the spying is doing nothing.

Privacy report finds NSA spying illegal | MSNBC

The board presented its conclusions Thursday afternoon. Three members of the five person board agreed that the government should end the program, saying it was not just ineffective but illegal. The other two board members dissented from that conclusion.
I agree that the spying probably is illegal under the Constitution but so are DUI checkpoints. Former Chief Justice Rehnquist admitted as much but said it was a matter of public safety. I don`t care much for what the NSA is doing but I still think Snowden is a POS who deserves life in prison. No, you didn`t tell me what our intelligence agencies should be doing to protect us from crazy people.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I agree that the spying probably is illegal under the Constitution but so are DUI checkpoints.
I agree. One being wrong doesn't make the other right.

Quote:
Former Chief Justice Rehnquist admitted as much but said it was a matter of public safety. I don`t care much for what the NSA is doing but I still think Snowden is a POS who deserves life in prison. No, you didn`t tell me what our intelligence agencies should be doing to protect us from crazy people.
Yes I did. They should be investigating those with at least some sort of probable cause as opposed to millions and millions of people that does nothing.

I'll ask again, why didn't they catch the Tsarnev brothers when so many signs were already there?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:38 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We can glorify a whistle blower that the government would love to kill. In many countries, these ads would not be allowed.

Viva Edward Snowden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You, Edward Snowden! - Reason.com
I thought Snowden told us how bad our country is.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:39 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
Whilst I think Snowden was justified in pointing out the extent of NSA and GCHQ spying, I think he crossed a line when he started to give detailed technical analysis of such programmes thereby aiding potential adversaries including the Chinese.

Indeed he was quite happy to expose US Intel in China to the South China Morning Post and has been quite happy giving technical details to all and sundry thereby putting western intelligence and indeed in some cases security operatives themselves at risk.

A lot of Snowden's privileged information also made it's way in to the hands of Julian Assange, a man who took the view "so what?" when asked what if US intel assets are killed as a result of his intelligence leaks.

This does not mark him out as some great hero in my books and he merely joins the ranks of Philby, McLean, Burgess, Blunt and numerous other such traitors.

Furthermore the US and UK may play the intelligence game, but at least they are democracies unlike China, with it's terrible human rights record and own history of cyber attacks and spying.

Whilst Russia is hardly whiter than white when it comes to such activities or am I forgetting all the millions of people murdered by the Soviet State and spied on by the KGB, Putin himself being an Ex-KGB officer.

The leaks and subsequent articles will also have made there way to terrorist groups in the middle east and elsewhere who will no doubt analyse all the information supplied in order that they can communicate and carry out acts of terror more effectively without appearing on the radar of intelligence agencies.

Last edited by Bamford; 03-16-2014 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I thought Snowden told us how bad our country is.
No, he told us how out of control the government is.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, he told us how out of control the government is.
The same government that allows the Ed Snowden ad to exist.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The same government that allows the Ed Snowden ad to exist.
As noted, they tried to stop things like that. Luckily the courts stopped it.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies