Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Hospitals and medical offices should be service providers, not "for profit" businesses.

Absolutely. We need to get rid of those nasty profits that are often used to do such horrible things as develop new technology and drugs. We need to cut down the paychecks too. The newly passed minimum wage laws will have minimum wage over $7 per hour soon, and that should be more than enough to keep any doctor taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:34 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliverydriver View Post
He wasn't talking about eliminating for-profit drug/medical supply companies, I don't think...

Ooookay.
We should put a stop to these nasty profits that hospitals make that are used to do such things as build more hospitals so more people can be served.

Believe me, I think the health care system is a train wreck right now, but its no "profit" thats to blame.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
'Free market' is such a vague term that it's hard to say exactly what is meant, unless we get into specifics. For example, plenty of things interfere with the operation of free markets. Everything from accounting regulations to farm subsidies to pollution controls to the government monopoly on the control of the US military. However, we'd hardly say that all of these interferences are 'bad' and should be eliminated, though some probably should be (like farm subsidies).

Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
As defined by Google and Wikipedia..

A free market is a market where the price of an item is arranged by the mutual consent of sellers and buyers, with the supply and demand of that item not being regulated by a government (see supply and demand); the opposite is a controlled market, where supply and price are set by a government. ...

So if you don't like the price, don't buy... and it all comes down to government...

Powerhomebiz says...

a market in which supply and demand are unregulated except by the country's competition policy, and rights in physical and intellectual ..

Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
To the OP:

Free markets don't exist in reality.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:42 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Hospitals and medical offices should be service providers, not "for profit" businesses.
Why? Don't they have to pay for their goods and services and make a living beyond that? Why is that different than a plumber or an electrician who are providing necessary services to people?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Why? Don't they have to pay for their goods and services and make a living beyond that? Why is that different than a plumber or an electrician who are providing necessary services to people?
OMG... they are on my top list to be "socialized" it would make them be at my place at an appointed time and actually show up and be liable for their work. Not only that lets socialized dentistry, lawyers (they are too expensive and take away most of the awards granted by the juries - they should be working for the people, its the American Way), CEO's (so they don't get paid too much since stockholders won't do anything about it, the government should), airline pilots, energy corporations (I like free energy and water, waste disposal, and gas and they keep going up every year. Its becoming unaffordable for me and I need it especially during winter or I WILL DIE - don't you understand or are you just cold-hearted), restaurants (I am tired of cooking at home, it should all be free, I would pay into that system), real estate industry (look at all the fraud that happened, come on socialization will get rid of the fraud AND control house prices), banks, insurance business (we shouldn't need insurance they are the bane of all that is good)... and list goes on and on...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
To the OP: Free markets don't exist in reality.
If Free markets don't really exist then what do you think Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is talking about when he describes restoring Free Markets to help: bring balance to US trade with other countries, curb the use of Outsourcing by corporations, make healthcare more affordable, balance the US government budget, and facilitate less taxation of US citizens?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM

"If Free markets don't really exist then what do you think Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is talking about ..."

Claptrap. Cliches. Wishful thinking. Propaganda.

The only reason "free markets" is a so-called "issue" is because it's an issue for Republicans, who want to increase the profits of businesses. You think that most Americans want to increase the volume of pollutants spewed into the water and atmosphere? Outsourcing by corporations is already an abuse of "free trade." Making healthcare more affordable has little to do with free markets; if you can't assess the problem, you certainly can't fix it. "Less taxation" makes sense only after spending priorities are established and costs are counted. Then, decide whom to tax and how much. This is difficult to understand?

Last edited by ParkTwain; 12-05-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Doctors and hospitals can work under a new system with INCENTIVES, not PROFITS. The profit motive works when there is something like a real market for a good or service. The profit motive is obviously not working today as a means of both pricing and allocating health care because it is not providing a health care choice to ALL CITIZENS. Only if you're working, or working for a company that happens to provide that benefit, or you happen to be able to afford to buy your own health insurance, can you have coverage. Otherwise, you must depend on the emergency room.

The feds could choose to massively subsidize basic health care coverage for all, as done by the new plan in Massachusetts.

A lot of Americans don't understand how many poor and working poor people (as a % of the total population) are actually living in this country today, not even counting the illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies