Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interesting read on how WWII started...
Molotov

Why is it gibberish? Because you don't like it? Why don't you talk to Germans?
For instance, the vast majority of them is against sanctions on Russia. Russia is important to Germany and vice versa. It is interesting that America wants Germany to play the sanctions game against the will of the German people and economy. I assume there is the hope that such sanctions would lead to a trade war between Germany and Russia, thus damaging Germany's economy. It is no secret that some people in the US are not happy about the US's huge and still increasing trade deficit with Germany expected to amount to $70 to 80 billion this year. At the same time the US and Canada are urging Germany to ditch Russia as a supplier of oil and gas in favor of American/Canadian oil and gas. Certainly no coincidence...

Not even Merkel seems to distrust Russia, the government allowed a new energy deal with Russia to be signed just past Friday:
Gazprom deal in Germany raises alarm - FT.com

German industry leaders also keep traveling to and investing in Russia, even meeting with Putin:
Krim-Krise: In Russland geht es für deutsche Wirtschaft um viel - SPIEGEL ONLINE
(in German)

Russia is really important to Germany and Europe in general, whether Obama likes it or not...

You're right. It's much easier for Europeans (Germans, I suppose) to get their panties in a twist and get all outraged about the United States playing snoop-on-the-internet.... as that is somehow a greater violation in their mind than land grabs that actually affect people's lives in tangible, measurable ways.

Given Germany's not-too-distant history, it's perhaps not surprising that Germans sympathize with "strong leaders" and "land grabs," but honestly, have some moral consistency or sense of proportion in your outrage. Maybe if Putin is found bugging a phone in the Bundestag the enlightened German left can register some outrage at the situation and call for severing ties with Russia.

BTW: Trade with Russia is less important for Germany's economy than trade with the United States. The US is Germany's 4th largest export market, where Russia doesn't register top 8, despite being so much closer. And in fact, Russian is barely a top 8 import partner (AKA, oil and gas), with more value coming from China and even tiny Netherlands.

If you think the importance of the SHRINKING Russian market is something you want to run to while eschewing the 360 million and growing North American (Canadian and US) market.... go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I do not care if China or Russia are spying on the Internet as they are not present where I live, whereas there are CIA killers and what not running around freely in Europe.

Germans tend to look at the bigger picture. Unlike the US, Russia does not have a control freak mentality, it does not try to rule the world. Russia is not a threat whatsoever, after all, the ideological motivations of the old Soviet Union are gone.
I don't like Putin, but I think a strong Russia is important to the world, though not as much as a strong China, ideally they will team up to provide the much needed counterweight to the US and Europe.

When you look at German companies, most of those that are doing business in Russia are enjoying double-digit growth there, often more than 50%. Admittedly from a modest starting point, but still...
Russia is important to Europe, Airbus for instance gets most of the Titan used in its planes from Russia.

Nobody eschews the North American market just because they are also increasingly present on the Russian, and Chinese and other markets. It is not an either-or situation, to the contrary. Growth is probably stronger in Russia as that market is not saturated, yet, there is a lot to build, there is a lot of money, and the country has some catching up to do.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I do not care if China or Russia are spying on the Internet as they are not present where I live, whereas there are CIA killers and what not running around freely in Europe.

Russian spies are everywhere in Europe and in the US, just as Europe and the US has spies in Russia.

Meet the Anschlags

But frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if NEITHER the US nor Russia has spies "where you live." Last I checked Portugal hasn't exactly been a major player on the world stage for a very long time!

You spend so much time scouring for evidence of US transgressions because it's EASY.. Frankly, we put it all out there for you. Such a controlling menace the US is that you simply can't find ANYTHING critical at all, right?

But maybe you should spend some time researching a little closer to home. Including your friends, the Russians, and the motherland, Deutschland, with whom you sympathize.

12 governments that love to spy on their own people | GlobalPost

Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Should Obama announce that if Putin takes Germany, US troops would not get involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Germany caused the death of millions of Russians during WWII. In case Russia (Putin) decides to take Germany or at least E. Germany, should Obama announce that in no way would US troops become involved? Does the USA really have any interest in what happens in Europe?
Does the USA have a mutual defense treaty with Germany, regardless of who's president?

<ans: NATO>

Quote:
Could Germany's military defend Germany if Russian troops rolled in?
Russia's current military couldn't roll through Poland to get there.

Here's a better question for you:

After Bush/Cheney's bogus invasion of Iraq, how much "moral authority" do you think the US has right now in telling other countries to respect borders?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro;

Here's a better question for you:

After Bush/Cheney's bogus invasion of Iraq, how much "moral authority" do you think the US has right now in telling other countries to respect borders?

Not really analogous. Did the United States annex Iraq? Are they our 51st state?

And, whether we should have gone in there or not there is at least an arguable legal basis for same:

Legality of the Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The legality is debated, but there is no debate that Russia literally seized opportunity in a neighbor to make a land grab.

"Concern for the safety of ethnic Russians" is even more laughable than "WMD." There was/is literally no evidence that Russians in Ukraine need or needed to fear anything. He wanted it, he got it. End of story.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Obama's forgein policy is laughable. As much as I didn't like bush, Putin wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything like this while he was president.
Dear Lord.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I bet I've been to Germany many more times than you. I have family there. They LOVE Americans because their parents and grand parents tell them what it was like before American support. Germans are smart enough to know that the prosperity they are enjoying now is 100% thanks to American military support. Sure they whine about the American government on line (which I'm sure you get your ideas) but not as much as American citizens.

You have any idea how many Germans live on a paycheck directly because of American presence? They DO NOT want to see those military bases close. They are smart enough to know their economy will be affected big time if they have to build their own deterrence against Russia. It would cost billions of Euros.
I've lived in Germany. The US bases are no longer there as a military deterrent against massive armored columns pushing through the Fulda gap, they're there for US logistical convenience and everybody knows it.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We CAN "STAY OUT OF IT" by conduting INTELLIGENT diplomacy and political planning. Obama was an idiot to not have a plan in place for Ukranian NATO membership when there were signs of trouble in the Ukraine. HE BLEW IT.
You want to "stay out of it" and make a tinder keg like Ukraine a NATO member at the same time?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Russian spies are everywhere in Europe and in the US, just as Europe and the US has spies in Russia.

Meet the Anschlags

But frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if NEITHER the US nor Russia has spies "where you live." Last I checked Portugal hasn't exactly been a major player on the world stage for a very long time!

You spend so much time scouring for evidence of US transgressions because it's EASY.. Frankly, we put it all out there for you. Such a controlling menace the US is that you simply can't find ANYTHING critical at all, right?

But maybe you should spend some time researching a little closer to home. Including your friends, the Russians, and the motherland, Deutschland, with whom you sympathize.

12 governments that love to spy on their own people | GlobalPost

I don't care about Russian or Chinese spies as I don't consider Russia or China a threat.

Indeed, one of the good things about living in this little country But I don't think that means there are no spies in Lisbon, nor that our mails and calls are not monitored by someone. I assume there is a secret service in this country as well, but probably not very capable, which is a good thing for a change.

Of course Germans etc. spy on their own people. But I think it is more ok if countries spy on their own people than on normal people in other countries, not least because countries are responsible for fighting crime in their territories (of course that is often used as a pretext for god knows what) whereas country x has no jurisdiction in country y. But in the end it doesn't really matter because cooperating secret services bypass national laws restricting the spying by exchanging data.

Still, I am also very critical of the German government and their secret services. The BND head even looks like one of those Nazi guys Germany has no backbone, no pride, and in IT terms it is almost a developing country.

The US does not put out anything for me, it was Snowden who put it out...

Last edited by Neuling; 03-31-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default Playing with Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Germany caused the death of millions of Russians during WWII. In case Russia (Putin) decides to take Germany or at least E. Germany, should Obama announce that in no way would US troops become involved? Does the USA really have any interest in what happens in Europe?

Could Germany's military defend Germany if Russian troops rolled in?
In that case I hope NATO would jump in and it has been its charter since 1946ish. Obama at that point of time would have to commit troops against the Russian Empire. That being said we would see a return to Europe.

There are plenty of closed bases including mine when I was in Kaiserslautern Germany where just like Worms and Mainz where the logistic arm of the US Forces. We would see Haun AFB and Bitburg reopen just to send a message to Putin.

As far as Alaska, I think is far fetch at this time with the risk of War. The issue with AK is its not hospitably and even the Japanese had hardship securing the Aleutians Islands in the early days of WW2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies