Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,837,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
EMTALA is Federal law and cannot be superseded by state law. Besides if a hospital does not subscribe to EMTALA it cannot participate in Medicare, which is a death sentence for most hospitals.
Tell that to Florida and Georgia. They've been talking about restricting EMTALA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 PM

9,975 posts, read 7,881,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You're telling me that your insurer is not a corporation?

You give me anecdotal info about an interview you saw which stated that the U.S. is somehow different from the rest of the civilized world. That's a setup if I ever heard one. If you saw it on a conservative station like Fox, the guest would certainly have been booked for just that purpose.

The bolded above is a description of socialized medicine, and you seem to favor it, so where is the conflict with Medicare for all?

Because you're part of a society, government forces you to buy things like auto liability insurance which protects people from each other, and it enacts all kinds of laws for the same purpose. Nobody has unlimited freedom to do as they please and that's a real problem for the Right.
I don't watch Fox, I'm a C-SPAN junkie and would rather watch the actual hearings and interviews than listen to political speeches from either side of the aisle. I also read most of the bill. The interview was on C-SPAN yesterday and it was the first time I heard a top Democrat admit that it would be impossible to implement single payer in our country.

Auto liability insurance is less complicated and driving isn't required, everyone can buy uninsured motorists to protect themselves from those who don't buy it and insurance companies will notify the state when people drop it.

The problem is 30 million people didn't enroll. And it's not just people on the right. Most of the ones I know who didn't enroll are Obama supporters.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,837,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

The problem is 30 million people didn't enroll. And it's not just people on the right. Most of the ones I know who didn't enroll are Obama supporters.
Were they projecting that many this first time?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 8,580,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Tell that to Florida and Georgia. They've been talking about restricting EMTALA.
My understanding is that Florida is more restrictive than Federal EMTALA.

EMTALA/EMTALA Resources for hospitals

Georgia I cannot find.

But if state policy encourages too loose hospital ER behavior I guarantee the guillotine will fall.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 PM

1,199 posts, read 737,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What part of this will help the 30,000,000 expected to go without insurance?

You can sit here and whine and cry that people need insurance, but without the ability to answer the underlying problem which is tens of millions will STILL not have insurance, then the problem wasnt fixed.. Not even remotely.
And have you not read my posts where Ive stated that the ACA fails because it is built on the system before the ACA,,,and if the republicans expanded medicaid, that number would have been lower.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 AM

3,600 posts, read 6,799,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How much extra does this cost? And you are for birth control then.
Maternity riders generally cost between $150-250 extra per month ( in addition to the normal premiums). Birth control cash rate is generally between $30-100 a month.

You see these are not free. The Aca makes it look like they are free benefits. The insurance just add it to the premiums for everyone.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 AM

73 posts, read 78,402 times
Actually I would fully support the idea of ending employer provided health insurance. Why do people think that their employer should pay their medical insurance? Your employer doesn't pay your car insurance or your homeowner insurance do they? I would prefer that the employer just give the money and let you go out on the market and buy your own insurance. And with the new exchanges, that is what should happen.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am no leftie and I do advocate for universal healthcare.
Here are improvements that I see:

People cannot be denied insurance for a pre-existing condition.

People can no longer be dropped from their individual plan, when they get sick

There are no longer annual/lifetime caps on pay-outs.

Annual out of pocket costs, including the deductible are capped.

There's a cap on the premium, based on a percentage of income.

There's a cap on insurer's profits.

There's a cap on annual increases.

Lowers senior's prescription medication prices by beginning to close the donut hole.

Offers tax credits to small businesses to purchase group insurance for their employees.

Adult children can be covered on a parent's policy till age 26.
Did you know that almost all insurance policies covered children up to age 25 if they were still in school even before Obamacare? Obamacare only expanded that to adult kids not in school. The insurance companies do not mind covering 18 to 25 year olds because they are a very low risk pool.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 AM

3,600 posts, read 6,799,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
And have you not read my posts where Ive stated that the ACA fails because it is built on the system before the ACA,,,and if the republicans expanded medicaid, that number would have been lower.
Why do people keep on blaming republicans for non expansion of Medicaid.

The Supreme Court ruled the Feds cannot coerce States into Medicaid expansion. It's not a free giveaway by the govt.

Eventually the states will be on the hook and there is no guarantee the Feds will even continue a 90/10 ratio of funding. It's simple bait the Dems threw in for the next 3 years with 100% funding. You get people addicted to free stuff than states are in a bind which funding once it's slowly stripped away. Medicaid is very expensive for states budgets.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Why do people keep on blaming republicans for non expansion of Medicaid.

The Supreme Court ruled the Feds cannot coerce States into Medicaid expansion. It's not a free giveaway by the govt.

Eventually the states will be on the hook and there is no guarantee the Feds will even continue a 90/10 ratio of funding. It's simple bait the Dems threw in for the next 3 years with 100% funding. You get people addicted to free stuff than states are in a bind which funding once it's slowly stripped away. Medicaid is very expensive for states budgets.
It is expensive because it includes nursing home care. They need to take nursing homes out of Medicaid and move it to Medicare. If they did that, many more states would be open to the idea of expansion of Medicaid. But if you look at the demographics of the next 20 years when all those people that were at Woodstock turn 65 to 70, the states are scared to death at the potential cost to them of nursing homes for these folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies