Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What does it cost a year to go to Northwestern anyway? I bet a pile.
$63000 a year. A 4 year scholarship is worth a quarter million dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
$63000 a year. A 4 year scholarship is worth a quarter million dollars.
that depends on what university you are talking about? No, most do not cost a quarter of a mil. Yes, expensive but let's get real: $50,00 plus a year no!!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that depends on what university you are talking about? No, most do not cost a quarter of a mil. Yes, expensive but let's get real: $50,00 plus a year no!!!!

The question posed was "What does it cost a year to go to Northwestern anyway?" So naturally that would be the university I'm talking about.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
You're missing the point, there are no minor leagues for football and some other sports, and the NCAA is a an oppressive organization that has no business telling college athletes they cannot make money, hire an agent, etc.

THAT is what the unionization drive is about:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/27/sp...loyees.html?hp

"What the College Athletes Players Association wants seems reasonable: organizing players, guaranteeing coverage of sports-related medical expenses for current and former players, ensuring better procedures to reduce head injuries and allowing players to pursue commercial sponsorships."

It is hilarious reading how the athletes "play for the love of the game." So why is the NCAA and the colleges allowed to rake in billions in TV deals, while a kid who gets injured playing might lose their scholarship, may not have their sports injuries medically paid for by the school, and is forced either to start paying their own tuition, or forced out of the school altogether?

The only reason the NCAA disallows students from getting paid is it would expose them as a fraudulent organization, that is using slave labor to rake in billions.
OMG, I am not missing the point: I am a loyal sports fan regardless of the sport or whether pro or college. Having a son that was an athlete and a granddaughter that started college on a athletic scholarship I am very much aware of how it works. You are the one who is missing the point. If you want to see young men and women paid or unionized then change the system to a minor league program. Let kids getting out of high school decide if they want to go pro or go to college and get an education while playing. There are college players that do finish college before going pro. No, college players should not be unionized or paid. Where do you draw the line? I doubt many players consider it slave labor unless some union organizer has brain washed them? yes, a player that gets injured does lose his or her scholarship, just like a player in the pros, especially in minor leagues have their young career cut short if they are injured. Do you have any clue how many college players ever really make it in the pros? I doubt you do.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
NCAA: Percentage Of College Athletes In Football, Basketball, Baseball Who Go Pro - Business Insider
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, I am not missing the point: I am a loyal sports fan regardless of the sport or whether pro or college. Having a son that was an athlete and a granddaughter that started college on a athletic scholarship I am very much aware of how it works. You are the one who is missing the point. If you want to see young men and women paid or unionized then change the system to a minor league program. Let kids getting out of high school decide if they want to go pro or go to college and get an education while playing. There are college players that do finish college before going pro. No, college players should not be unionized or paid. Where do you draw the line? I doubt many players consider it slave labor unless some union organizer has brain washed them? yes, a player that gets injured does lose his or her scholarship, just like a player in the pros, especially in minor leagues have their young career cut short if they are injured. Do you have any clue how many college players ever really make it in the pros? I doubt you do.
According to this article 1.7%.

NCAA: Percentage Of College Athletes In Football, Basketball, Baseball Who Go Pro - Business Insider

I don't agree with letting high school football players try and jump to the NFL. They aren't ready physically or mentally. There are a few exceptions of course to the rule. A guy like Marcus Dupree I think could have done it or Bo or Hershel. They are just physical freaks of nature though.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
That is not true at all. There are strict NCAA guidelines limiting practice hours during the school year. Max is 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week, with at least one day off per week during the season. Max is 4 hours a day, 8 hours a week, with a minimum of 2 days off per week in the off season. Additional restrictions are in place during and immediately preceding final exams. Also, Football players are afforded a total of 9 total recovery weeks between Jan and June where they cannot be required to do anything.

Countable Hours - Athletics Compliance - University of Notre Dame

I was on a very highly regarded high school swim team which produced many All Americans and NCAA Division I scholarship winners. The graduates who were swimming in college would practice with us when they were home for holiday breaks. Most of them told us they were required to practice no more, and often less, at top-tier college programs than we did in HS.
If you believe this, I have a beach house in Colorado to sell you. There seem to be ways around the limits.
NCAA survey delves into practice time, coaches' trust - USATODAY.com
Report: Michigan football players allege NCAA violations - ESPN
NCAA Athletes Work Long Hours, Survey Says - Higher Education

Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 PM

[quote=KUchief25;34070277]NCAA: Percentage Of College Athletes In Football, Basketball, Baseball Who Go Pro - Business Insider

According to this article 1.7%.

I knew it was a very few that make it to the show, as our son called it, but I didn't realize it was quite that low. As for playing with the big boys right out of high school, of course not, that is where farm clubs come into being.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM

My oldest one's football team made it to the state semi's two years straight........biggest division in the state and there isn't one kid who would even have a shot in the NFL. Last year only two got scholarships to div I schools. It is a long shot. I always told and tell mine that about one percent go from jr high to play in high school...........one percent of high school kids play college ball and one percent of college players make the NFL. Definitely long shots so you better get good grades kid. LOL

Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...151005969.html

This is an essay written by a Univ of North Carolina player in a class specifically for athletes.

One thing I don't get, if they are paid then they aren't amateurs, and thus ineligible to play in the NCAA. One solution is for the NFL to remove the age restrictions.
Well in that case, if Olympians are paid amateurs, why can't college kids be given the same status?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well in that case, if Olympians are paid amateurs, why can't college kids be given the same status?
Are they even considered "amateurs" anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies