Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

I fail to see how economic/financial restructuring would have fixed an engineering problem, but that's just me.

Last I heard, there's a lead time of 6 years or so before a new model hits the market.

I am *all* for better design and quality assurance. Unfortunately, in my experience, these are the first things to go when the bean counters call for more profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
3.1 million recalls the last two months for GM. Also according to this article the bailout protects them from lawsuits. Hey only 12 people died so who cares right.

GM Recall: Does the Government Bailout Protect It From Liability? - Businessweek
As noted these were recalls that should have been done years ago since the defective ignition switch has been known to exist for a decade. It was known back in 2005 when Delphi the maker of the defective ignition switch corrected the defect.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Being intellectually honest, as always, ALL manufacturers have large recalls from time to time.

That being said, I would NEVER own a GM product again. Ever.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Leave it to a Community-Organizer-In-Chief to run a car company, things won't go so well.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
If they hadn't been bailed out several million would have been unemployed which would have worsen the recession and led to several million more unemployed as a result.
bullcrap. gm filed for bankruptcy reorganization, NOT liquidation. that means that they would have had three years to get their house in order. no one would have lost their jobs over it, no companie would have gone out of business either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hey RWNJs, if GM went bankrupt, how would you feel if they were bought out by Toyota or Honda? How would you feel about having Japanese printed on the radiator cap? I bet you loons would cry that Obama let those Asians take over an American icon
psst, gm DID go bankrupt. they filed for bankruptcy reorganization. but lets say they went ahead and filed for liquidation. so what if toyota had bought chevrolet and perhaps buick. no big deal there as those companies would still be operating and making cars. in fact hummer, and saturn both were on the sales block, and penske nearly bought saturn, but the deal fell through when he couldnt get a manufacturing agreement, so gm killed saturn. a chinese company nearly bought hummer, but that deal fell through when the chinese government nixed the deal, so gm killed hummer. and so what if a japanses manufacturer puts their stamp on a gm car, the reality is that they do anyway, and have don so for years. remember the prizm? all it was, was a rebadged toyota corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I fail to see how economic/financial restructuring would have fixed an engineering problem, but that's just me.

Last I heard, there's a lead time of 6 years or so before a new model hits the market.

I am *all* for better design and quality assurance. Unfortunately, in my experience, these are the first things to go when the bean counters call for more profit.
its not the economic restructuring that is sorely needed at gm, though that needs to happen also. its the management organizational restructuring that needs to happen. gm is over bloated with upper management, and they need to trim a lot of the fat there. until that happens, gm is going to end up selling garbage.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Unions were handed what was it 20% ownership in the bailout and this is what they are putting out now.........garbage.

"(Reuters) - General Motors Co is recalling certain Chevrolet Cruze models for possible axle fractures, and more than 490,000 trucks and SUVs for potential transmission cooler line issues, the company said in a statement late on Friday. These latest recalls come as the head of the country's biggest automaker, Chief Executive Mary Barra, faces Congress next week regarding who is to blame for faulty ignition switches linked to crashes and at least 12 deaths."

General Motors recalls Chevrolet Cruzes, trucks and SUVs | Reuters
How about showing a little pride for "Made in the USA" items.

(Car companies like Toyota have more recall problems than GM does.)

Now General Motors Is Finding Out How Toyota Felt - Forbes

Old 03-29-2014, 06:07 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Careful what you say, the obamater is spying on you.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
It would have cost much more to not have invested in the auto industry.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:46 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
LOL. You are now saying these GM axles, transmissions and ignitions are Obama's fault?

How ridiculous. We might as well say Ted Cruz is responsible for Chevrolet Cruzes, as it makes as much sense.
You most likely think a bartender is guilty if the person he serves drives drunk and injures or kills someone.

Same difference.

That incredible idiot 0bama kept GM in business when they failed on their own. He's responsible for the garbage they put out. You betcha!

Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Seems to me a few people should read abut the history of GM, especially under William Crapo Durant (yes, that is his REAL name!)
They might be interested in how many times GM went bankrupt, and who bailed them out in the early years.
Then, they can research the ignition switches installed in vehicles way back when the switch was first moved from the dash board to the steering column. Well, son-of-a-gun, they had the SAME problem way back then! It would seem that neither the drivers nor the manufacturers learned anything! Of course, back then people were used to driving cars that did not have power steering or power brakes, so they did not lose control when the engine quit. Air bags had not been invented yet, so there wasn't any problem there, either.
HMMMM...31 crashes, 12 fatalities, out of over 1.62 million cars. Kids on bicycles have a higher accident rate, and probably more fatalities!

I have not owned a GM car in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies