Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yeah, I saw that on the news today. It also said we're woefully unprepared to adapt.
Instead of adapting, many are still denying.
Yes, the American right...I'm looking at you.
No faith in God, but look at the faith you give these idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
...so what does anyone actually gain from denying climate change?

Deny it as the strongest hurricane / tornado / flood / storm on record demolishes your house.

How many more strongest / longest / worst droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards do we have to experience for the deniers to wake up?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
"
If left unchecked, the report finds that climate-change risks include:
•Coastal flooding, which will devastate areas near the shore.
•Widespread hunger due to warming, drought and severe downpours.
•Damage to big cities because of inland flooding.
•Extreme weather and storms, damaging some of the things we take for granted, like electricity, running water and emergency services.
"We live in an era of man-made climate change," said Vicente Barros, co-chair of the group that prepared the report. "In many cases, we are not prepared for the climate-related risks that we already face." "

So, what are the governments of the world DOING to alleviate these problems?
To date, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
WHY??
All we hear is; "We must do something to stop CO2 and methane production to stop and prevent global climate change!"
What if it is already too late to prevent or stop the changes?
Shouldn't we be concentrating on what needs to be done to compensate for the inevitable changes that have been foreseen?
WHY are no dikes and seawalls being built to protect coastal areas?
WHY are there no irrigation projects underway to take water from where there is too much to where there is not enough?
WHY isn't agriculture moving into the previously frozen areas? Oh, yeah, because they are STILL FROZEN!
Why is nothing ever mentioned about higher CO2 levels enhancing plant growth, which should result in higher crop yields?
If extreme weather will damage our electric, water delivery, and transportation infrastructure, WHY is nothing being done to better protect it?

"In many cases, we are not prepared for the climate-related risks that we already face."

WHY are we not making those preparations, instead of generating endless, useless, reports??
We "little people" are the ones who need the jobs such projects would create. WE can't make the projects happen, it is up to the "scientists" and the various governments to make them happen. IF the doom and gloom scenarios presented are accurate, it is WAY beyond time for them to ACT, and begin building the infrastructure to protect the people from the extreme weather!\
They should either get busy and DO IT, or shut up about it.

Remember, many of us do NOT deny the climate is changing. We can see it in our local weather. Sure, weather is not climate, but climate is made up of many different weather systems. We just set a seasonal snowfall record! The old record was set in 1934, and we beat it by several inches! We are now over 100 inches total seasonal snowfall for the 2013-2014 season, with more snow in the forecast. We could easily set a new record for the latest snowfall!
Yes, the climate is changing! That much is obvious.
CAN mankind stop the changes? I have my doubts.
SHOULD mankind stop the changes? I have my doubts there, too.
CAN mankind adapt to the changes? I think mankind had BETTER make every possible attempt to adapt!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
...so what does anyone actually gain from denying climate change?

Deny it as the strongest hurricane / tornado / flood / storm on record demolishes your house.

How many more strongest / longest / worst droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards do we have to experience for the deniers to wake up?
The earth has existed for around 4,000,000,000 years.

We've been keeping weather records for how many years? 100? 200? 400?

We've been using satellites for weather tracking for how many years? 50?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
No faith in God, but look at the faith you give these idiots.
Now that is funny, the likes of you calling all of these scientists idiots....I would like to see evidence that the science is wrong...I really would, but there isn't any.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Now that is funny, the likes of you calling all of these scientists idiots....I would like to see evidence that the science is wrong...I really would, but there isn't any.
That, too, is rather funny!
Yes, the climate is changing.
I would like to see some irrefutable evidence that the science describing the WHY of the changes is correct.
I really would, but there isn't much, if any, that I can see.
Seems to me, the real world climate results just don't match their computer models. If the science was in any way accurate, the models and the real world would be VERY close!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"
If left unchecked, the report finds that climate-change risks include:
•Coastal flooding, which will devastate areas near the shore.
•Widespread hunger due to warming, drought and severe downpours.
•Damage to big cities because of inland flooding.
•Extreme weather and storms, damaging some of the things we take for granted, like electricity, running water and emergency services.
"We live in an era of man-made climate change," said Vicente Barros, co-chair of the group that prepared the report. "In many cases, we are not prepared for the climate-related risks that we already face." "

So, what are the governments of the world DOING to alleviate these problems?
To date, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
WHY??
All we hear is; "We must do something to stop CO2 and methane production to stop and prevent global climate change!"
What if it is already too late to prevent or stop the changes?
Shouldn't we be concentrating on what needs to be done to compensate for the inevitable changes that have been foreseen?
WHY are no dikes and seawalls being built to protect coastal areas?
WHY are there no irrigation projects underway to take water from where there is too much to where there is not enough?
WHY isn't agriculture moving into the previously frozen areas? Oh, yeah, because they are STILL FROZEN!
Why is nothing ever mentioned about higher CO2 levels enhancing plant growth, which should result in higher crop yields?
If extreme weather will damage our electric, water delivery, and transportation infrastructure, WHY is nothing being done to better protect it?

"In many cases, we are not prepared for the climate-related risks that we already face."

WHY are we not making those preparations, instead of generating endless, useless, reports??
We "little people" are the ones who need the jobs such projects would create. WE can't make the projects happen, it is up to the "scientists" and the various governments to make them happen. IF the doom and gloom scenarios presented are accurate, it is WAY beyond time for them to ACT, and begin building the infrastructure to protect the people from the extreme weather!\
They should either get busy and DO IT, or shut up about it.

Remember, many of us do NOT deny the climate is changing. We can see it in our local weather. Sure, weather is not climate, but climate is made up of many different weather systems. We just set a seasonal snowfall record! The old record was set in 1934, and we beat it by several inches! We are now over 100 inches total seasonal snowfall for the 2013-2014 season, with more snow in the forecast. We could easily set a new record for the latest snowfall!
Yes, the climate is changing! That much is obvious.
CAN mankind stop the changes? I have my doubts.
SHOULD mankind stop the changes? I have my doubts there, too.
CAN mankind adapt to the changes? I think mankind had BETTER make every possible attempt to adapt!
The earth heats periodically and the earth cools periodically.

What is happening, if it is happening, will happen regardless of how much money is thrown at it, how much hand wringing is done, how much the UN cries its doomsday wolf message continually. It will continue to happen no matter how much the human race moves back into caves and eschews petroleum products. It will happen because it has been happening since the first mammal crawled out of the primordial ooze.

Get over it.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:24 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

So what? Humans have only been on earth about 200,000 years....What happened in the past is a lot less important than what will happen in the future, don't you agree?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

What is happening, if it is happening, will happen regardless of how much money is thrown at it, how much hand wringing is done, how much the UN cries its doomsday wolf message continually. It will continue to happen no matter how much the human race moves back into caves and eschews petroleum products. It will happen because it has been happening since the first mammal crawled out of the primordial ooze.

Get over it.
I disagree! IF what they say is true, we should NOT "get over it", we should get busy learning how to adapt to it.
If what they say is not true, they should shut up about it.
Oh, and I don't think it was a mammal that crawled out of the primordial ooze. I'm not sure what it was, but I am sure it wasn't a mammal!

"What happened in the past is a lot less important than what will happen in the future, don't you agree?"
Possibly true, but we can certainly LEARN from what happened in the past; even the far distant past, when the atmospheric CO2 levels were MUCH higher than they are now! Perhaps if we take the lessons of the past to heart, we can shape the future more to our liking.
Survival of the fittest; adapt or die.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:30 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Get over it.
Ugh. Both of you need to learn more about Milankovitch cycles.

I'll summarize for you; global climate change without anthropogenic impact happens in a minimum of ~10,000 years.

Our observations have recorded similar sharp changes in climate over 150 years. This at least 67 times as fast as natural cycling changes. To say this is natural is denying reality.

The natural changes in Earth's climate are caused by variations in solar energy in the Earth's system. This is due to the orbit. The major factors are orbital shape, axis tilt, and axial precession. In simplistic terms, if you spin a top, it won't spin uniformly. It wobbles as it spins, and wobbles as it revolves in a circular pattern. The wobbling is not perfect. The wobbling determines the differences in energy we receive from the sun. That causes our major long-range climate changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies