Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:55 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
(you know the king crab legs, caviar, aged prime beef...
Depending upon the area, time of year other factors those things can be less expensive then regular ground beef. I have often seen king crab legs in my local aldis that was only ten bucks for an entire bag while the equilevent amount of ground beef would have set you back 20 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
How to prepare whole chickens/ turkeys/ discounted root vegetables (to make soup with the leftovers) bulk rice and flour to bake bread/ hardtack/ pancakes.
Yet Republicans attack poor people for having 100 dollar refrigerators and fifty dollar microwaves. How are the EBT people on food stamps supposed to do those meals which would require refrigerator, a means to cook said meals such a stove or oven (another thing that Republicans attack poor households on having), cookware etc. All of which requires either money to either buy new, or buy used at a thrift shop, or luck finding it when someone upgrades their stuff and puts their old crap at the curb.

My neighborhood I replaced some old broken bedroom furniture and I had people ask me if they could take it. I said yes but you better hurry other people have asked and said they wanted it. To the people around me the broken stuff was still an upgrade to what they had or they didn't have any such furniture.

EBT food stamp doesn't have a separate amount to buy soap, toilet paper, shampoo. When you are poor your basic hygiene tends to suffer due to lack of funds to acquire the tools to clean yourself properly.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well your government controls what they can buy with SNAP so don't get mad at them for buying whatever they want.

Bags of chips, chocolate bars, Monster and easter candy baskets are all just fine and dandy and OK'd by the USDA for SNAP purchases.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
There are those that abuse the EBT cards, but they are the minority. Did it ever occur to you that many of those people who own cars, flat screen TVs, iPhones, etc. actually bought them when the were working and actually own those items and maybe they lost their job or had their hours cut back or if they were a two income household they ended up being a one income household?

Do you and everyone else that find these people "despicable" ever count your blessings? I count my blessings every day and am grateful. And one day it could all disappear, as it could for anyone else who thinks that there is some kind of guarantee that they will never fall on hard times.
The government does not release any stats so it's all opinion.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:38 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government does not release any stats so it's all opinion.
Oh, let me support my "opinion".

Article from Dec. 2013.

Quote:
Although the sheer size of the program means that more than $3 billion is lost to trafficking, fraud and overpayments each year, the rate is less than other government programs, according to federal audits.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/us...nomy.html?_r=0

Other government programs are Medicare and Medicaid.

There are over 47 million people on the food program and the loss through trafficking, fraud and overpayments (through the government) is approximately 1.3%.

Interesting that you point out someone's opinion (basically discounting it), considering you are a very highly opinionated individual who presents opinions as if they are fact.

I look forward to seeing you supporting your opinions with facts.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Oh, let me support my "opinion".

Article from Dec. 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/us...nomy.html?_r=0

Other government programs are Medicare and Medicaid.

There are over 47 million people on the food program and the loss through trafficking, fraud and overpayments (through the government) is approximately 1.3%.

Interesting that you point out someone's opinion (basically discounting it), considering you are a very highly opinionated individual who presents opinions as if they are fact.

I look forward to seeing you supporting your opinions with facts.
I like how the NY times says it's "less".

Know why it's "less" ?
Because FNS has no method or process to identify or estimate fraud

Try going right to the source and read for yourself.

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27002-0011-13.pdf
We also found that FNS has not established processes to identify or estimate the total amount of SNAP fraud occurring nationwide, either by recipients or by retailers. As a result, FNS does not have tools to effectively measure a total SNAP fraud rate over time. FNS cannot estimate a recipient fraud rate because it has not established how States should compile, track, and report fraud in a uniform manner. FNS reports recipient fraud as the number of recipients disqualified each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies