Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
If there is no service offered, they can't talk about lousy service. And if everyone else is getting great photos and excellent service, is anyone going to worry about the one person who says he never got any service?

I turned down many jobs in my other business. We were always swamped. We were never without work.
I believe in giving great service....and we do.

However, at times I think it doesn't matter what is being said as long as your name is out there.

People don't always listen...they just remember the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
It's long since America became a weird place. Regardless of my stand on gay rights, a photographer can refuse service to whoever they choose. Just hire another photographer! I am sure many would want that business!
People always make preposterous analogies: It's absolutely not like discrimination against black people! The thing against blacks was legislated and practiced by all bus companies. Here is an individual who has his preferences. How can you compare between the two? There are many gay photographers. Does it mean I cannot select a straight guy if I prefer so?
Americans are bored! Since we don't have real existential problems like so many countries on the globe, we focus on pure nonsense!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default Everyone has the right to turn business down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Any business that is incorporated to do business with the public agrees to abide by the laws of the state. End of discussion. Any business that signs any piece of paper agreeing to abide by the state, county or city's laws must abide by those laws.

Don't want to do business with people you hate? Do your business under the table, or find a state, county or city where they don't care about equal rights. Simple. Now you have all the personal freedom you want.

And there are NO false analogies here. Equal rights are equal rights, whether you want to admit it or not. Discrimination against any person on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation is still discrimination. I know the anti-gay army is desperate to hide this simple fact, but it's true nevertheless.

This whole thing has spiral out of control for the sake of Social Justice. This should of never made to the Supreme Court and is a trivial matter on a small scale. The business in question probably did not feel comfortable to take care of this client and turned it down. Or he did not need the work and turned it down.

I have turned business down in the past because I was not a fit for my business or my personal standards. It could range from profitability, current high work load to just do feel comfortable with the client.

This ultra high sensitively over gay people is way to far. This again is to criminalize any who doesn't not whole heartily support the gay movement. What a shame they have to feel they should be a protected class. Rather than equal rights for all American Citizens!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Americans are bored! Since we don't have real existential problems like so many countries on the globe, we focus on pure nonsense!
True.

I know for a fact that there are people who make it their mission to find someone or something to sue, it's an obsessive behavior hiding behind "justice". We see it a lot these days when people run to the media for ever little thing, usually spinning and exaggerating whatever to make themselves look like a victim (or their child, or their dog, etc). I used to think it was about money, then I thought it was about attention, but now I think it is because so many are bored that their brains just melt. That's my way of saying "stupid".

Old 04-08-2014, 01:15 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
There really isn't a lot of paperwork involved in incorporating, as far as I know, and I don't think there is anything that one "signs stating they will abide by the laws of the state." I think the OP has made this up.

In my state, when we registered as an LLC, we only had to provide the business name, address, etc, and send our $50. It was good for five years. We got a certificate with the state's seal embossed, and that was about it. We didn't sign anything that had anything to do with abiding by the law.

In any case, my solution to this problem is as simple as, don't provide a quote. Don't promise anything. Do nothing. Don't tell them you will or won't do the job.
Wherever in the world you do business, you must abide by applicable law. That includes anti-discrimination laws. If you violate them, then you must be prepared to face the legal consequences of your violation. It's that simple. If you refused 50 gay couples service, but never refused a straight couple, then it would be reasonable for a jury to infer that you refused the gay couples because of their sexuality in violation of anti-discrimination laws (if they exist in your State).

Quote:
Unfortunately, if you are devout in your beliefs, and feel you are violating God's Word to participate in what is clearly sin, it isn't that easy. Like I said, when they call or walk in your door, smile, be polite, and don't give them a quote. Don't even hint at a price. Tell them you will have to get back to them. Then, don't.
See above. Be prepared to pay for violating anti-discrimination laws if your purpose for refusing service is to engage in prohibited discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think you are right about incorporating......and even if it is true a business could incorporate in other places.
Businesses must abide by the laws of the places in which they do business. It does not matter where they incorporate (except for internal corporate affairs, which are beyond the scope of this discussion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
It's long since America became a weird place. Regardless of my stand on gay rights, a photographer can refuse service to whoever they choose. Just hire another photographer! I am sure many would want that business!
People always make preposterous analogies: It's absolutely not like discrimination against black people! The thing against blacks was legislated and practiced by all bus companies. Here is an individual who has his preferences. How can you compare between the two? There are many gay photographers. Does it mean I cannot select a straight guy if I prefer so?
Businesses cannot refuse service in violation of anti-discrimination laws. If they do, they are subject to legal consequences. If a State bans discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, then a business cannot legally refuse service on the basis of sexual orientation. You could leave your State, or you could leave your business, or you could accept the possibility of legal consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This whole thing has spiral out of control for the sake of Social Justice. This should of never made to the Supreme Court and is a trivial matter on a small scale. The business in question probably did not feel comfortable to take care of this client and turned it down. Or he did not need the work and turned it down.

I have turned business down in the past because I was not a fit for my business or my personal standards. It could range from profitability, current high work load to just do feel comfortable with the client.

This ultra high sensitively over gay people is way to far. This again is to criminalize any who doesn't not whole heartily support the gay movement. What a shame they have to feel they should be a protected class. Rather than equal rights for all American Citizens!
If the State passes a law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, then businesses must abide by that law. Businesses do not have the right to violate anti-discrimination laws on the ground that they "have the right to refuse service to anyone." Your problem is with the State legislature that passed the anti-discrimination law.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Wherever in the world you do business, you must abide by applicable law. That includes anti-discrimination laws. If you violate them, then you must be prepared to face the legal consequences of your violation. It's that simple. If you refused 50 gay couples service, but never refused a straight couple, then it would be reasonable for a jury to infer that you refused the gay couples because of their sexuality in violation of anti-discrimination laws (if they exist in your State).

See above. Be prepared to pay for violating anti-discrimination laws if your purpose for refusing service is to engage in prohibited discrimination.

Businesses must abide by the laws of the places in which they do business. It does not matter where they incorporate (except for internal corporate affairs, which are beyond the scope of this discussion).

Businesses cannot refuse service in violation of anti-discrimination laws. If they do, they are subject to legal consequences. If a State bans discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, then a business cannot legally refuse service on the basis of sexual orientation. You could leave your State, or you could leave your business, or you could accept the possibility of legal consequences.

If the State passes a law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, then businesses must abide by that law. Businesses do not have the right to violate anti-discrimination laws on the ground that they "have the right to refuse service to anyone." Your problem is with the State legislature that passed the anti-discrimination law.
Any links to a federal law???

Old 04-08-2014, 01:28 PM

679 posts, read 614,863 times
Quote:
Any links to a federal law???
There are several federal anti-discrimination laws, but (as the poster stated) the one in question as to discrimination by the basis of sexual orientation was a State law

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Your problem is with the State legislature that passed the anti-discrimination law.
And here's the actual state law in question

Quote:
" An Act Relating to Human Rights, N.M. S.B. 28 to be codified at ch. 196, N.M. Stat. Ann. §§ 28-1-2, 7, 9 (April 8, 2003); N.M. Stat. Ann. § 28-1-7 (2001). Sexual orientation is defined to mean: heterosexuality, homosexuality or bisexuality, whether actual or perceived. Under the law, it is illegal to discriminate against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and heterosexuals in matters of employment, housing, credit, public accommodations and union membership. Sexual orientation discrimination is also prohibited in New Mexico public employment by executive order. New Mexico Exec. Order No. 85-15 (Apr. 1, 1985).

Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
Quote:
I think you are right about incorporating......and even if it is true a business could incorporate in other places.
Navada used to be a popular state. The business I worked at in San Diego was incorporated in Nevada.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Navada used to be a popular state. The business I worked at in San Diego was incorporated in Nevada.
And that business would have to abide by California law when conducting business in California. A disproportionate number of companies incorporate in Delaware, but they do not then apply Delaware's anti-discrimination rules when they are doing business in other states.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
That might also be a good solution.

I used to work for a photographer. I did the custom black-and-white printing, and mixed the chemicals. My boss did our wedding pictures as a wedding gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies