Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times

Advertisements

Scott Walker Uses John Mellencamp Song for Campaign to Rocker's Dismay

Doesn't the artist have copyright on his songs? Doesn't Scott Walker have to get permission from the copyright owner? I've noticed that Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity/pick your conservative spokeshole always air songs from artists that I assumed were "progressive"- ex Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders "Back to Ohio") and others. I realize that some may no longer own the songs like when Michael Jackson bought the Beatles' catalog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Doesn't the artist have copyright on his songs? Doesn't Scott Walker have to get permission from the copyright owner? I've noticed that Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity/pick your conservative spokeshole always air songs from artists that I assumed were "progressive"- ex Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders "Back to Ohio") and others. I realize that some may no longer own the songs like when Michael Jackson bought the Beatles' catalog.
All Gov Walker is required to do is pay the ASCAP royalty. The artist has no complaint so long as he is getting paid his due royalties.

Melloncamp may not like it, but that's what's know as "tough"

Old 04-17-2014, 03:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Most politicians stop using songs if an artist complains about their use. I believe Reagan briefly used "Born in the USA" during his 84 re-election before The Boss asked the gipper to not use it again.

I get it. If I were a musician and a politician used my song and I didn't believe in their stance, I would send them a personal letter or email when I found out about it. Nobody would want their likeness used with a politician that has a polar opposite view of theirs.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

That's "bumper music" and is supposedly royalty free under the fair use act. I just did a little checking and I've seen the limit as short as 8 seconds to as long as 30 seconds as long as there is some voice over happening during the song. ASCAP and other publishing houses are extremely strict and will charge the show for the artists they represent. For live events, different rules apply or every cover band in every bar in the US could be charged by a publishing house.

As far as politics goes, I'd honor the wishes of the artist and stop.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That's "bumper music" and is supposedly royalty free under the fair use act. I just did a little checking and I've seen the limit as short as 8 seconds to as long as 30 seconds as long as there is some voice over happening during the song. ASCAP and other publishing houses are extremely strict and will charge the show for the artists they represent. For live events, different rules apply or every cover band in every bar in the US could be charged by a publishing house.

As far as politics goes, I'd honor the wishes of the artist and stop.
Royalty free?!!! What the fries?!! That doesn't seem fair.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 PM

532 posts, read 550,461 times
JM's music is all American and any noble person who has a heart and ear for it will like it. The unique combination of crossing genres makes it all the more addictive. Most people, especially rural and working class people can relate to it. I can see why politicians would want to use it. They should have to pay some royalties I think. I bet I could get them for free myself if I asked.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
If you keep using it when the artist doesn't want you to, you just make yourself look like a fool.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 PM

32,074 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
These multi-millionaire crybabies should suck it up and sing.

After all......they preach about the evils of "income inequality", yet pay their roadies and setup crews minimum wage. Not to mention the vendors, ticket takers and ushers who work their shows.

THEY LIVE IN MANSIONS while their employees barely get by.

Hypocrites.
Where has he preached about income inequality And where is your link about his employees barely getting by.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
All Gov Walker is required to do is pay the ASCAP royalty. The artist has no complaint so long as he is getting paid his due royalties.

Melloncamp may not like it, but that's what's know as "tough"
Mellencamp is very political and plays a lot of free and benefit concerts for his causes and fans, and his music is passionately associated with the working man. If he is publicly saying he'd like Walker to stop using the song because he finds Walker's policies offensive, and Walker acts like a dick and says no, it will not reflect well on Walker. Nobody likes a jerk who does not respond graciously. Pretty sure McCain and Reagan both stopped playing the songs when requested by Bruce and Jackson Brown.

Mellencamp to Walker: You're using a union supporter's songs | Post-Crescent Media | postcrescent.com

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Where has he preached about income inequality And where is your link about his employees barely getting by.
"This was the first single from Mellencamp's ninth album, The Lonesome Jubilee. Like many songs on the album, it deals with social inequality and the disparity of wealth in America."

And do you really think he splits the take from his shows equally?

It's been a rough year for the singer, but at least he has his millions of dollars to ease the pain. 62-year-old John Mellencamp has taken the No. 1 spot on People With Money’s top 10 highest-paid singers for 2014 with an estimated $58 million in combined earnings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies