Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicotti View Post
You make some valid points. The only problem is that our media and entertainment industry is run, watched and paid for by Americans. How poor of an image can be painted of a country that watches these shows enough to keep them going and successful. Apparently, this is how the vast majority of Americans think, or at least what they enjoy. If we did not, would these shows be on?
To answer your question, absolutely. It is the media that tells the public what is newsworthy, not the other way around. If the media repeatedly says the entire world hates the US, for example, how is the average American going say anything to the contrary? You could fill volumes about what the media doesn't tell the American public. Fortunately, the Internet is available for those resourceful enough to find out the truth independently from our obviously biased media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
cleatis - you did not tell us where you are from and you did not respond to all the posted guesses, so i am going to have to assume you are from the mid east. am i talking to you, yes.
you live here and you talk this way about the host country?
wow. dont try this one in iraq, ouch!!!!
the 2 countries i know the most about, france and america-- i really like and think they did some things right. yeah they make mistakes but its hard to steer a wagon with this many horses pulling. we will get it. no, we are not a one man show. but we are one of the few to admit when we are wrong and try to do something about it. i not leaving, i like it here this is where i call home. this is my best shot at doing it right. dont even think to compare this country to the governments of the mid east. you and i would already be beaten, threatened or dead for voicing our opinions, much less doing something about it.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Because they don't want to understand. To understand it would be to acknowledge that a zealous religion wants us dead and will do anything to see that happen ~ it would require accepting that this Republican president was right in his efforts to protect this country and what she stands for...
If this is so, then why, oh why, does this republican president holds hands and kisses the cheeks of the Saudi king? Saudi Arabia is the craddle of Wahabism, the most "zealous" and downright rabid fundamentalist of all Muslim countries. Saudi money funds madrasas in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Terrorists need money to live on and blow things up. The Muslims who have the most money and are the biggest zealots are the Saudis and they are GW's best, dearest friends.

The rest of the world is aware of this inconsistency, but a lot of people in this country either refuse to see it or are focused on non-issues like the war on Christmas.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
It is fascinating how many Islamic Scholars we have participating on this forum, isn't it.

We are blessed.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
It is fascinating how many Islamic Scholars we have participating on this forum, isn't it.

We are blessed.
But it's surprising how few know that holding hands is to Arabic men what bowing is to the Japanese.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
cleatis - you did not tell us where you are from and you did not respond to all the posted guesses, so i am going to have to assume you are from the mid east. am i talking to you, yes.
you live here and you talk this way about the host country?
wow. dont try this one in iraq, ouch!!!!
the 2 countries i know the most about, france and america-- i really like and think they did some things right. yeah they make mistakes but its hard to steer a wagon with this many horses pulling. we will get it. no, we are not a one man show. but we are one of the few to admit when we are wrong and try to do something about it. i not leaving, i like it here this is where i call home. this is my best shot at doing it right. dont even think to compare this country to the governments of the mid east. you and i would already be beaten, threatened or dead for voicing our opinions, much less doing something about it.
like i have been trying to say, america isn't without it's good points and triumphs, but some humility couldn't hurt. mostly i have been trying to say that we aren't as much of the good guy as we would like to see ourselves being. the very origins of our country will speak volumes about that, about the bad things we have done... which go largely ignored.

i never said anyone has to leave. you are right, we are both entitled to our opinions, henceforth no one has to leave over difference of opinion.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:40 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Oh, manniboy, I did my stent in the military. I am a decorated Vietnam vet. How 'bout you?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
like i have been trying to say, america isn't without it's good points and triumphs, but some humility couldn't hurt. mostly i have been trying to say that we aren't as much of the good guy as we would like to see ourselves being. the very origins of our country will speak volumes about that, about the bad things we have done... which go largely ignored.
Wouldn't this discussion be evidence of some humility?

If you look over the thread, I'm sure you will find many people admitting that the US has made mistakes. However, people disagree with the position that those mistakes make us worthy of being hated - particularly when compared with the behavior of other countries including those where hatred of America is more prevalent and in light of the noble and humanitarian efforts we make.

Yes, this country started with conquest; so did most. Why is it that it's okay to hold the US accountable for this as being evil, but other countries get a pass?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Wouldn't this discussion be evidence of some humility?

If you look over the thread, I'm sure you will find many people admitting that the US has made mistakes. However, people disagree with the position that those mistakes make us worthy of being hated - particularly when compared with the behavior of other countries including those where hatred of America is more prevalent and in light of the noble and humanitarian efforts we make.

Yes, this country started with conquest; so did most. Why is it that it's okay to hold the US accountable for this as being evil, but other countries get a pass?
Jealousy. Plain and simple.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Jealousy. Plain and simple.
It isn't jealousy, it is a leftist canard. Americans are not hated, except by the small minority of our enemies which obviously includes the left-wing wackos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies