Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 PM

610 posts, read 3,320,268 times

Advertisements

sigh. I suppose that if you were to move this thread - this question - over to one of the "World" forums, you might get some real answers.
For the most part, many of us knew the answer over three decades ago - but the same narrow minds, the same propagandists ... OMG, they live forever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Those afraid of war, need to get out of the way. The greedy are always going to be out there to take away a prized possession, and those willing to save their way of life just need to stand up and say, "No more, we are taking our country back". I keep waiting to see signs of awakening.
Awakening would be nice, agreed on that minor point although I am sure our ideas of Awakening have nothing in common.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Well, Europe has lost patience and so has pretty much everyone else. It is amusing and sad to leave the country and look at it from without. We were in Mexico recently and our hotel representative asked us why Republicans wanted war. It was amusing only because he obviously assumed we weren't Republicans, or he wouldn't have asked.
As someone who has spent a considerable percentage of her life living abroad, the Europeans need to get a grip and stop worrying so much about what WE do and fix their own serious problems with health, poverty, education, social unrest, racism, xenophobia, etc. They seem to love to externalize their problems. They are quick to blame their own social problems on America's influence.

I found it irritating that Brits would queue up 30 deep and 3 abreast to eat at the only McDonald's and KFC in the York city center, then complain bitterly about how American food was making them fat. They griped about how Starbucks was putting places like Caffe Nero and Pret A Manger out of business, but every Starbucks in the city was heaving at lunchtime, full of native British office workers and yummy mummies doing lunch with their yummy mummy mates.

The French would complain about how insidiously full of fat, salt, and sugar American food was...but the last time I went into a McDonald's in France (2002), it was full of native French people tucking in to Big Macs and french fries. Even French people who don't eat fast food seem to love slathering Heinz ketchup on practically everything they eat, including mashed potatoes, pasta, and steak. Heinz ketchup has a lot of sugar in it. I did a summer abroad with a French host family as a student, and my host family didn't even speak English...but blamed the American diet for pretty much every health woe in France. They did this while squirting ketchup all over everything on their plates. Oh, and their favorite singers were all American. Favorite movies, all American. Favorite TV shows, all American. I asked them why this was, and they shrugged in the nonchalant way only French people can and said French music, movies, and TV shows were "nul a chier." That means they think they suck. I didn't bother to point out the irony.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
As someone who has spent a considerable percentage of her life living abroad, the Europeans need to get a grip and stop worrying so much about what WE do and fix their own serious problems with health, poverty, education, social unrest, racism, xenophobia, etc. They seem to love to externalize their problems. They are quick to blame their own social problems on America's influence.

I found it irritating that Brits would queue up 30 deep and 3 abreast to eat at the only McDonald's and KFC in the York city center, then complain bitterly about how American food was making them fat. They griped about how Starbucks was putting places like Caffe Nero and Pret A Manger out of business, but every Starbucks in the city was heaving at lunchtime, full of native British office workers and yummy mummies doing lunch with their yummy mummy mates.

The French would complain about how insidiously full of fat, salt, and sugar American food was...but the last time I went into a McDonald's in France (2002), it was full of native French people tucking in to Big Macs and french fries. Even French people who don't eat fast food seem to love slathering Heinz ketchup on practically everything they eat, including mashed potatoes, pasta, and steak. Heinz ketchup has a lot of sugar in it. I did a summer abroad with a French host family as a student, and my host family didn't even speak English...but blamed the American diet for pretty much every health woe in France. They did this while squirting ketchup all over everything on their plates. Oh, and their favorite singers were all American. Favorite movies, all American. Favorite TV shows, all American. I asked them why this was, and they shrugged in the nonchalant way only French people can and said French music, movies, and TV shows were "nul a chier." That means they think they suck. I didn't bother to point out the irony.
Off-topic, but Heinz does not use sugar, they use high-fructose corn syrup, which is a leading suspect in obesity around the globe, its synthetic and cheaper than sugar. It causes your body to automatically convert it's calories to fat.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,883 times
I personally cant stand these ungreatful europeans. we save them from the nazi bootstrap, and than save them from the soviet boot strap, and all they can do is bite the hand that feeds them. the next time a war breaks out in europe i say "to hell with them".

Old 12-10-2007, 01:08 AM

129 posts, read 83,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
I personally cant stand these ungreatful europeans. we save them from the nazi bootstrap, and than save them from the soviet boot strap, and all they can do is bite the hand that feeds them. the next time a war breaks out in europe i say "to hell with them".

We didn't do it alone. Britain had already been fighting for almost two years by the time we joined and the Russians took the brunt of the fighting on their side. Austrailians, French & Poles also contributed significant fighting forces.
And we never saved anyway from any soviet boot traps. We just bled the Russians thru overspending til they dried-up.

Now it's our turn to become obsolete.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I believe ONE of the reasons America is so hated is our arrogance AND I believe that arrogance is also why we refuse to see why were are hated.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:40 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I believe ONE of the reasons America is so hated is our arrogance AND I believe that arrogance is also why we refuse to see why were are hated.
What "arrogance?"
Arrogance would more fit Japan and Germany in the '30s and '40s with their attempting to conquer the world.

America is actually the opposite of "arrogance," we liberate countries. Even at the cost of hundreds of thousands of our soldiers' lives.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:45 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What "arrogance?"
Arrogance would more fit Japan and Germany in the '30s and '40s with their attempting to conquer the world.

America is actually the opposite of "arrogance," we liberate countries. Even at the cost of hundreds of thousands of our soldiers' lives.
OH, like we're liberating Iraq at the moment and WANT to liberate Iran? Or is it the oil we are liberating?

America is VERY arrogant, there is another thread on here that typifies it, it says that America has a law stating our law enforcement can go to a foreign nation and in order to skip the long drawn out extradition policy, they can kidnap the person. Thats just ONE example out of many.

What about putting people in prison without due process, thats pretty arrogant.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:51 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
OH, like we're liberating Iraq at the moment and WANT to liberate Iran? Or is it the oil we are liberating?
Oh, back to the ridiculous "oil" claim. Just when do we "take" Iraq's oil? That has been the claim since the 1991 Gulf War and I'm still waiting for it to happen! And we don't want to liberate Iran; we just don't want them to have nuclear weapons.

Quote:
America is VERY arrogant, there is another thread on here that typifies it, it says that America has a law stating our law enforcement can go to a foreign nation and in order to skip the long drawn out extradition policy, they can kidnap the person. Thats just ONE example out of many.
Where would the world have been in the 1940s if America didn't exist?

Quote:
What about putting people in prison without due process, thats pretty arrogant
Terrorists are not entitled to "due process." A war means you defeat the enemy, not worry about garbage like "due process!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies