Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,220,782 times

Advertisements

This just means the red states will probably become bluer, though the opposite probably doesn't apply.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,641,181 times
I moved from a blue state (Washington) to a red state (Idaho) for reasons totally unrelated to politics. Why should I have to change who I am or the way I vote?

On the Idaho forums it seems the only people who mention politics in their posts about looking for a place to move are either:

1.) Liberal types worried that they won't be accepted.
2.) Conservative types who think they're escaping to some kind of exclusive resort where there's a sign hanging on the door that says "No Lefties Allowed."

Just the other day there was a post in the Boise forum from a self-professed conservative wanting to get away from the "liberal mindset" in their current area. Guess they never dreamed there might be liberals living in red states.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,503,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I moved from a blue state (Washington) to a red state (Idaho) for reasons totally unrelated to politics. Why should I have to change who I am or the way I vote?

On the Idaho forums it seems the only people who mention politics in their posts about looking for a place to move are either:

1.) Liberal types worried that they won't be accepted.
2.) Conservative types who think they're escaping to some kind of exclusive resort where there's a sign hanging on the door that says "No Lefties Allowed."

Just the other day there was a post in the Boise forum from a self-professed conservative wanting to get away from the "liberal mindset" in their current area. Guess they never dreamed there might be liberals living in red states.

The cliche is true, all politics really is pretty much local.

Republicans generally love sales taxes. In Oregon (which doesn't have a sales tax), Republicans generally don't want a sales tax. In Michigan, Republicans never met a regressive tax they didn't like. In Oregon, Republicans hate regressive taxes pretty much the same as they hate progressive taxes.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,994,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
You mean like Obama is doing?
Please share with us how Obama is a dictator. I find these comments hilarious, they have no idea what it is like to live in a country with a true dictator. Sadaam Hussein, Kim Jung Ill, Vladmir Putin, Syria, etc...countries where if you speak out against the wrong people you are never heard from again. And we have a dictator here? Please....

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 AM

16,658 posts, read 8,663,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Sorry, but you do not get to take voting rights away from citizens because you disagree with their politics. Americans are free to move wherever they wish in the country, and they take their right to vote with them.
The OP obviously knows that, but is making a point. If you take cities and in some cases states that are a mess because of liberal big government they voted for, and move them to greener pastures, what is likely to happen to their new home?

Old 05-10-2014, 08:09 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,843,311 times
Except Colorado, they're all moving here for the pot.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The OP obviously knows that, but is making a point. If you take cities and in some cases states that are a mess because of liberal big government they voted for, and move them to greener pastures, what is likely to happen to their new home?
They start all over again clamoring for the "amenities" they left and vote "yes" on almost every bond issue.
They want green, they want mass transit, they want environmentally friendly.
They get what they want and then start to complain when their taxes go up, their cities get clogged with traffic which they can't fix because it would be against the environment to make more roads.

LOL..go over to the Austin forum, the latest "hot city" for liberals and see the posts.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,429,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Actually, Providence is 376 years old. And it looks it!

Atlanta, which is a newbie city, has the world's busiest airport. Worst architecture, but busiest airport. Maybe if red states invested in their core infrastructures and peoples, they wouldn't be last in everything. Just thought. I mean, it costs money (taxes) to lead in the areas I've pointed out. Stop being so cheap -- invest in your people!
Yes, Atlanta has the world's busiest airport (but in 2014, looks like Beijing will overtake it). But NYC also has JFK, LGA, and EWR. But that's mostly because it's easier to fly to international destinations from that flight path. Chicago is still high on the list (#5 in 2014). JFK is #19 with 50M in 2013 vs Atlanta's 94M. EWR saw 35M in 2013. So between JFK and EWR that's 85M vs. Atlanta's 94M. Congrats.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Their is cost and then their is value...They are not the same.

This idea that you "invest" by default you will be rewarded is a joke..You are aware that investing comes with the risk of loss of principal, right?

Infrastructure "investments" are great..just when they are few few few few strict on time and costs, and not a bottomless pit of money for labor unions which as all all know are just fundraisers for the the leftist of the Democratic party..

You want a great Infrastructure project would be.

A Border Fence on the US/Mexico Border....
UK has a natural border fence called water, and they still have a high number of illegal immigrants.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Man, are you seriously staking a claim that red states are "all that" based on North Dakota, a state with a population density of 87 persons per square mile, with, say, Manhattan, with density of 71,000 per square mile? You're really grasping at straws!

btw, 20th, median family income $51,704.
and when the oil runs dry, not much else left to their economy. sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies