Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times

Advertisements

Now that I've experienced life in a better country, I can honestly say I've never seen a nation of people so selfish and so judgmental of those down on their luck as the typical american. Here Aussies actually care for their fellow man and help each other out, or at the very least, don't whine and make blanket statements like they do in the U$. What a sorry nation!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
We're married with kids and the deductions did bumpkus. We still ended up owing the IRS and will probably owe them every year from hereon.
I have the same experience. Had 2 kids. Still always owed federal income tax, anyway. Meanwhile 47% pay no federal income tax whatsoever. I wasn't the taker. The 47% who pay no federal income tax were the takers.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 PM

241 posts, read 189,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Now that I've experienced life in a better country, I can honestly say I've never seen a nation of people so selfish and so judgmental of those down on their luck as the typical american. Here Aussies actually care for their fellow man and help each other out, or at the very least, don't whine and make blanket statements like they do in the U$. What a sorry nation!!

If only you would take the rest of the liberal whiners with you...

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-06-2014 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Throwing unjustified insults, and then suggest someone commit a felony. Nice!
Actually, the statement is justified. Look at the voting record of the various income earners, and realize that those at the lower-income levels pay little to no federal income tax while simultaneously receiving the most government benefits and services via several of the 80+ means-tested social welfare programs:

(Note to moderators: all images appearing in this post have been linked via HTML text command in a legally permissible manner per the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Perfect 10 v. Amazon ruling, and as such do not constitute copyright violation.)

Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Good riddance. I hope the door didn't hit you on your way out.

If only you would take the rest of the liberal whiners with you...
Thank you for your contribution to this thread, Im sure it added a intelligent and insightful comment to the conversation, despite me not seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have the same experience. Had 2 kids. Still always owed federal income tax, anyway. Meanwhile 47% pay no federal income tax whatsoever. I wasn't the taker. The 47% who pay no federal income tax were the takers.
Really? You think those 47% paid nothing? No local taxes, no property taxes, no gas taxes, etc etc?

Sigh. And that 47% are probably loving life! Yup.....loving life with their minimum wage income, yeah! Thats just sooo....awesome....yupp. yeah.

Quote:
Sadly this is true, look at some of the earlier posts. To them, being a good American is all about them. Some even equate any taxes as theft despite the benefits they receive. Its insane some of the statements I regularly see here.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
That's because your tax system in Australia is LESS progressive than what we have here in the U.S.

Sorry, but when you work your ass off and you're gouged for taxes for doing so at levels unmatched throughout the rest of the world, it builds resentment against the takers.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
let me qoute you

1. cheating on your taxes intentionally is in fact a felony.
2. liberals are no more prone to cheating then other groups.
Liberals cry about "deductions" then take them. Hypocrites.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, the statement is justified. Look at the voting record of the various income earners, and realize that those at the lower-income levels pay little to no federal income tax while simultaneously receiving the most government benefits and services via several of the 80+ means-tested social welfare programs:

(Note to moderators: all images appearing in this post have been linked via HTML text command in a legally permissible manner per the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Perfect 10 v. Amazon ruling, and as such do not constitute copyright violation.)
In what way does that graph have anything to do with calling liberals names? No really?

And lovely the poor are...poor and that makes them bad....why?

Heres a much more complete picture of total tax burden:
The one tax graph you really need to know

But you wouldn't want to discuss that reality now would you?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Really? You think those 47% paid nothing? No local taxes, no property taxes, no gas taxes, etc etc?
First, I specifically said federal income tax, and the statistics are accurate. 47% of income earners pay no federal income tax whatsoever.

Second, take a look at the return on tax dollars paid by the various income level groups. Note that this includes ALL taxes, local, state, and federal:

The bottom 60% TAKE more than they contribute in taxes.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Heres a much more complete picture of total tax burden:
The one tax graph you really need to know

But you wouldn't want to discuss that reality now would you?
Actually, I would and did. Looking at tax burden is only half of the discussion. Look at the services and benefits received per dollar of taxes paid chart I posted. The bottom 20% receives $5.28 in local, state, and federal government benefits and services per each $1 of local, state, and federal taxes paid. The top 1% receives $0.06 in local, state, and federal government benefits and services per each $1 of local, state, and federal taxes paid.

The bottom 20% is getting an 88 times higher return on their taxes than the top 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies