Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM

947 posts, read 1,464,492 times

Advertisements

There is one county in Alabama that has 1 in 4 people on disability and these are people that are working age and could work. Guess what they were blue collar workers that did dirty jobs however when they got back pain and other issues when told that they could work at a desk they refused to take that job. Instead they sought out the doctor that gave them the diagnosis of disabled and they just cash that check in.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

"Dr. Timberlake is making a judgment call that if you have a particular back problem and a college degree, you're not disabled. Without the degree, you are.

Dr. Perry Timberlake poses for a portrait in an examination room at the Hale County Hospital Clinic on in Greensboro, Alabama
In Hale County, there was one guy whose name was mentioned in almost every story about becoming disabled: Dr. Perry Timberlake, shown in an examination room at the Hale County Hospital Clinic in Greensboro, Alabama. Credit: Brinson Banks for NPR
«
Over and over again, I'd listen to someone's story of how back pain meant they could no longer work, or how a shoulder injury had put them out of a job. Then I would ask: What about a job where you don't have to lift things, or a job where you don't have to use your shoulder, or a job where you can sit down? They would look at me as if I were asking, "How come you didn't consider becoming an astronaut?"

One woman I met, Ethel Thomas, is on disability for back pain after working many years at the fish plant, and then as a nurse's aide. When I asked her what job she would have in her dream world, she told me she would be the woman at the Social Security office who weeds through disability applications. I figured she said this because she thought she'd be good at weeding out the cheaters. But that wasn't it. She said she wanted this job because it is the only job she's seen where you get to sit all day."

So here we have posters frowning on the desk jobs when that is what the majority of the blue collar workers who work the tough jobs want to do or don't even know these jobs exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
You don't need a degree to lift yourself out of $9 an hour job, that's actually the point Mr. Rowe was making. With some average intelligence but more importantly desire, drive and the willingness to make some sacrifices you could be rich in 20 years.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
There is one county in Alabama that has 1 in 4 people on disability and these are people that are working age and could work. Guess what they were blue collar workers that did dirty jobs however when they got back pain and other issues when told that they could work at a desk they refused to take that job. Instead they sought out the doctor that gave them the diagnosis of disabled and they just cash that check in.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

"Dr. Timberlake is making a judgment call that if you have a particular back problem and a college degree, you're not disabled. Without the degree, you are.

Dr. Perry Timberlake poses for a portrait in an examination room at the Hale County Hospital Clinic on in Greensboro, Alabama
In Hale County, there was one guy whose name was mentioned in almost every story about becoming disabled: Dr. Perry Timberlake, shown in an examination room at the Hale County Hospital Clinic in Greensboro, Alabama. Credit: Brinson Banks for NPR
«
Over and over again, I'd listen to someone's story of how back pain meant they could no longer work, or how a shoulder injury had put them out of a job. Then I would ask: What about a job where you don't have to lift things, or a job where you don't have to use your shoulder, or a job where you can sit down? They would look at me as if I were asking, "How come you didn't consider becoming an astronaut?"

One woman I met, Ethel Thomas, is on disability for back pain after working many years at the fish plant, and then as a nurse's aide. When I asked her what job she would have in her dream world, she told me she would be the woman at the Social Security office who weeds through disability applications. I figured she said this because she thought she'd be good at weeding out the cheaters. But that wasn't it. She said she wanted this job because it is the only job she's seen where you get to sit all day."

So here we have posters frowning on the desk jobs when that is what the majority of the blue collar workers who work the tough jobs want to do or don't even know these jobs exist.
Why would you think blue color workers would not know jobs sitting at a desk exist???

Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I've know a lot of the welder types making small fortunes whether they are welder, logger etc. Trust me, many of them aren't desk job material. I have a close personal friend that is a boilermaker and the thought of him in an office is funny. He'd either be fired or end up killing someone within a week and that is not an exaggeration.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why would you think blue color workers would not know jobs sitting at a desk exist???
Well the blue collar workers in Hale County Alabama don't seem to know they exist. You may want to read the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You don't need a degree to lift yourself out of $9 an hour job, that's actually the point Mr. Rowe was making. With some average intelligence but more importantly desire, drive and the willingness to make some sacrifices you could be rich in 20 years.
Our guys base pay is $18 to start.

Robby does not have his HS diploma and is making $28.

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Physical labor jobs do wear you down over the years. Keep in mind people have to work longer now. I doubt you see too many 50/60 year olds doing hard labor in the oil fields. These are temporary jobs for young people to save money to get degrees for white collar jobs.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well the blue collar workers in Hale County Alabama don't seem to know they exist. You may want to read the article.
That is a very small slice of the pie.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
That is a very small slice of the pie.
Read the article. It explains why 14 million Americas are on disability with the majority of those being able to work.

Disabled people are not counted as unemployed in the US whereas in other countries they are.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Our guys base pay is $18 to start.

Robby does not have his HS diploma and is making $28.
Depends, he's union and can be making ridiculous amounts of money on some jobs as in near $100 an hour. The thing is he might be gone for 4 weeks and working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week in some of the ****tiest working conditions you can imagine. The he's off for a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies