Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,422 times

Advertisements

Interesting angle in relation to all the recent banker deaths and investigation.

Suspicious Deaths of Bankers Are Now Classified as “Trade Secrets” by Federal Regulator

quote:
It doesn’t get any more Orwellian than this: Wall Street mega banks crash the U.S. financial system in 2008. Hundreds of thousands of financial industry workers lose their jobs. Then, beginning late last year, a rash of suspicious deaths start to occur among current and former bank employees. [MOD CUT/copyright violation]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-02-2014 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 01:25 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
uhmmm actually those ARE trade secrets. This is a reach to create a phony scandal. I highly doubt its about their life insurance.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
uhmmm actually those ARE trade secrets. This is a reach to create a phony scandal. I highly doubt its about their life insurance.
What is a trade secret?
Looks like they were able to find some of the information they requested in the public domain.

This is what they requested. I don't see why this would be considered a trade secret. Certainly, anything too personal could simply not be included.
quote:
Given the above set of facts, on March 21 of this year, we wrote to the regulator of national banks, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), seeking the following information under the Freedom of Information Act (See OCC Response to Wall Street On Parade’s Request for Banker Death Information):

Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
How is a life insurance policy on your employees a "trade secret" ?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How is a life insurance policy on your employees a "trade secret" ?
Because it can represent the value that a company placed upon a employee, and help define what sort of compensation would lure them away from their current employer.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Because it can represent the value that a company placed upon a employee, and help define what sort of compensation would lure them away from their current employer.
That is a stretch and I didn't see anything that specific in the request.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
That is a stretch and I didn't see anything that specific in the request.
Go read the article.

Bottom line is anything dealing with employee compensation or valuation is a trade secret. Keep in mind the type of company we're talking about here, this isnt someone who is making 100K, this is someone being paid millions. At that level these things are in fact very confidential.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Go read the article.

Bottom line is anything dealing with employee compensation or valuation is a trade secret. Keep in mind the type of company we're talking about here, this isnt someone who is making 100K, this is someone being paid millions. At that level these things are in fact very confidential.
I did read it. I just posted a pdf of the letter they sent for the request. I don't see that kind of specific data being requested.

Now it did cast what could be considered a wide net on some data, but not what you mentioned. That wide net simply is a grey area, since they are fishing in a large sea and I could understand being careful about personal information being included there. But that would mean just don't include certain things.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,880,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I did read it. I just posted a pdf of the letter they sent for the request. I don't see that kind of specific data being requested.

Now it did cast what could be considered a wide net on some data, but not what you mentioned. That wide net simply is a grey area, since they are fishing in a large sea and I could understand being careful about personal information being included there. But that would mean just don't include certain things.
Dead men tell no salaries.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
Do you have any concern for the fact that your chosen thread title has nothing to do with the story you linked? It's not the deaths that are claimed to be trade secrets, it is the value of insurance the banks are carrying on certain employees. It's not employee compensation, because the death benefit goes to the bank, not the survivors of the dead employees, but it is part of the financial arrangements and assets of those banks.

Why should it be public?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies