Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you always supported gay marriage?
Yes, I have always supported gay marriage 88 41.71%
No, I've only in recent years changed my mind became a supporter 34 16.11%
No, I don't like it, but I no longer oppose it because opposing it is a lost battle 7 3.32%
No, and I still oppose gay marriage 48 22.75%
Other (please state) 34 16.11%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times

Advertisements

It is an aberration of nature and should be treated as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:03 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
The entire concept of marriage is an "aberration of nature".

Old 07-23-2014, 12:58 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Has your attitude towards gay marriage changed over the years?
I am actually more against it now than before because it is becoming clear everyone will be forced to agree with the agenda, or bite their tongues. Disagreements will not be tolerated.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,860 times
Always have been for equality in this country, especially after my time in the military.

When Same Sex Marriage is legalized it won't be the end of the country or whatever else.

I mean for goodness sake there are reality shows revolving around two strangers getting married upon their first ever interaction with one another.

And somehow homosexuals are ruining the sanctimony of marriage?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
This poll is a bit biased in it's questions, it's certainly slanted.

To answer your question, mine have changed quite a bit. When I was in high school (I'm 24) I supported same sex marriage fully, simply because it was kind of trendy to do so and I thought all my peers were supporting it to, and the fact that so many Hollywood celebrities supported it so I just naively went along with it (I suspect many same sex Marriage supporters are doing so for the same reasons above).
Too many young people want to be with the "in" crowd and do what they do so they fit "in". The hip trendy crowd follows celebrity and know all of the in and outs of crap I don't even know of. They all became hipster progressives and voted for Obama as it was seen as "hip, cool and trendy". I have other words for it. I never went along with anything with naitively. That got me in trouble..ONCE.

I have no idea why millenials have such low standards and tolerance for obtuse human behavior. I understand everyone wears rose colored glasses at some point as a teen and finding out about life but they should be shed upon adulthood and making one's way in the world. I am guilty of it myself, I grew up in the 60s-70s during the cultural revolution, it was an eye opener for anyone of any age.

I grew up when I got a real job in a professional environment. Ponytail was gone but still played rock and roll on the weekends. I am not as extreme as Nugent but agree with him on many points. I still play rock and roll.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,195 times
I honestly used to be more pro-gay marriage than I am today. I still am pro-gay marriage and I have absolutely no problems at all with gay people, but the way that people who disagree with gay marriage are bullied, marginalized and turned into strawmen by gay marriage proponents, how gay marriage is (sometimes) compared to the civil rights movement and how saturated our media has become with everything gay it has made me less sympathetic to the cause than I used to be.

When anything other than 100% acceptance is treated as hatred for gay people, it shows there's no room for compromise; only full compliance, otherwise you're a bigot.

Things are changing and gay marriage nationwide is an inevitability. Your side is winning and will claim victory. But expecting public opinion to turn in your favor within a matter of a few years is simply unrealistic when this is such a paradigm shift in our culture. Politicians can quickly 'evolve their positions' to whichever way the wind blows (remember Obama was against gay marriage six years ago), but expecting 50+ year-olds to change their minds is not gonna happen (which often brings about hateful Liberals who talk about 'waiting for old people to die' so they can get what THEY want, which is a despicable attitude). There needs to be some gray area on this issue since this matter is often tied to religious freedom, but it seems those rights have become secondary or outright trampled as gay marriage becomes law around the country.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I honestly used to be more pro-gay marriage than I am today. I still am pro-gay marriage and I have absolutely no problems at all with gay people, but the way that people who disagree with gay marriage are bullied, marginalized and turned into strawmen by gay marriage proponents, how gay marriage is (sometimes) compared to the civil rights movement and how saturated our media has become with everything gay it has made me less sympathetic to the cause than I used to be.

When anything other than 100% acceptance is treated as hatred for gay people, it shows there's no room for compromise; only full compliance, otherwise you're a bigot.

Things are changing and gay marriage nationwide is an inevitability. Your side is winning and will claim victory. But expecting public opinion to turn in your favor within a matter of a few years is simply unrealistic when this is such a paradigm shift in our culture. There needs to be some gray area on this issue since this matter is often tied to religious freedom, but it seems those rights have become secondary or outright trampled as gay marriage becomes law around the country.
Well said. That is what I was also trying to say.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:39 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
I chose other. my reasons why is because marriage should never have been a governmental issue. government should have the say so on civil unions, but not be able to say 1 word at all about marriage at all.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,933,716 times
I chose other, because I am tired of hearing about it.. With all that is going on in our country and our world and all you can consider is who you can or can't marry?

Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I chose other. my reasons why is because marriage should never have been a governmental issue. government should have the say so on civil unions, but not be able to say 1 word at all about marriage at all.
That is silly, we could call all marriages civil unions and we would still call it marriage. If my wife and I had a civil union that had all the same benefits as marriage, we would call it a marriage. No one can govern what people call things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies