Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:19 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Really? I get a salary increase every year. Should I turn it down as it doesn't increase my economic status then? Lol
At what point did I say anything about individual raises? We're talking about raising the wage for an entire economic class, and by extension raising the wage of every single person in the workforce over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Oh. So you think the entire minimum wage should go out and get PhDs? Who would do their jobs then? MBAs? Lol

No my friend. The minimum wage is here to stay as there always be jobs paying entry level salaries. The minimum wage class is neither the root not the cause of the problem. They are needed.
The key words in your statement were "entry level". These are jobs that are meant for people who are entering the job market, not for experienced workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I can guarentee you that NOT raising it will in fact damage those folks.

And saying it never was intended to support a living wage is idiotic. Wether it was intended to or not-the reality is that for all too many folks thats what it is. As the wealthiest take more and more of the pie, the middle class and poor get squeezed out. Your suggestion is-hey thats the market, maybe if those poor folks negotiated better....and then scream how evil unions are.

Seriously?

As for increasing the minimum wage, there are in fact many studies about it-the vast majority indicating its good for us overall as Guess what? Consumer spending represents 70% or so of our economy. This isn't rocket science.

I swear some people here are intentionally ignorant.
Less than 5% of the population makes minimum wage. Of that 5%, nearly half are under the age of 25. Overall, only 3% of the population over the age of 25 makes minimum wage or less. You can stop with the indignation already, as your entire argument amounts to having the federal government set an arbitrary number in order to "benefit" a very small segment of society.

Source: Minimum wage workers account for 4.7 percent of hourly paid workers in 2012 : The Editor’s Desk : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Less than 5% of the population makes minimum wage. Of that 5%, nearly half are under the age of 25. Overall, only 3% of the population over the age of 25 makes minimum wage or less. You can stop with the indignation already, as your entire argument amounts to having the federal government set an arbitrary number in order to "benefit" a very small segment of society.

Source: Minimum wage workers account for 4.7 percent of hourly paid workers in 2012 : The Editor’s Desk : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Please dont even try this. How many make between minimum wage and the new wage?

Oh look you make $7.30 not $7.25! You don't make minimum wage-isnt that awesome? Are you intentionally ignorant?

But hey if its such a "small" % of people, why are you against it?

OHHhhhh...because you're misrepresenting reality.

A quick check reveals that the $10.10 minimum wage suggested going into affect in July of 2016 would affect 12.8% of the workforce. Now thats JUST those making less then $10.10, then doesn't include those making $10.11 and above.

Please educate yourself on theses things, its important.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please dont even try this. How many make between minimum wage and the new wage?

Oh look you make $7.30 not $7.25! You don't make minimum wage-isnt that awesome? Are you intentionally ignorant?

But hey if its such a "small" % of people, why are you against it?

OHHhhhh...because you're misrepresenting reality.

A quick check reveals that the $10.10 minimum wage suggested going into affect in July of 2016 would affect 12.8% of the workforce. Now thats JUST those making less then $10.10, then doesn't include those making $10.11 and above.

Please educate yourself on theses things, its important.
Why am I against it? For many reasons. I'll give you the short list:

1) The $10.10 is an arbitrary number that nobody has yet given a valid argument for.
2) The entire concept of minimum wage is in direct opposition to the free market principles that should be the basis of our economy.
3) The entire minimum wage argument is a distraction from the myriad of valid economic issues that are facing our country.

Btw, in reality the new minimum wage will affect 100% of the workforce in the long run. As has been proven historically, the market will correct itself in order to counteract governmental interference and those making minimum wage will once again be making minimum wage. It's a never ending, government created cycle.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,299 times
Quote:
At what point did I say anything about individual raises? We're talking about raising the wage for an entire economic class, and by extension raising the wage of every single person in the workforce over time.
The entire economic class of workers get yearly increases. Should we turn them down?
Dont tell me you don't get a yearly increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The key words in your statement were "entry level". These are jobs that are meant for people who are entering the job market, not for experienced workers.
Entry level refers to pay grade and nothing else. Experienced or not, cashier is a cashier and a receptionist is a receptionist. Pretty much the same pay and no room for advancement. Not everybody can be promoted and not everybody has the capacity.
Youre dancing around the issue.

Last edited by Rapaport; 05-08-2014 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:

1) The $10.10 is an arbitrary number that nobody has yet given a valid argument for.
Many valid reasons have been provided, you apparently have covered your eyes and sai d"im not readin that, im not reading that"
Quote:
2) The entire concept of minimum wage is in direct opposition to the free market principles that should be the basis of our economy.
Really? You believe we have a free market? Seriously if you think free market works everywhere you've ignored reality. Sooo remove minimum wage, they pay folks next to nothing, and we pay for their food and shelter to avoid starvatin?

Quote:
3) The entire minimum wage argument is a distraction from the myriad of valid economic issues that are facing our country.
This response at least I can look at and think "theres some truth here". But then I realize your ideas of what those economic issues are will probably be hilarious at best.

Quote:
Btw, in reality the new minimum wage will affect 100% of the workforce in the long run. As has been proven historically, the market will correct itself in order to counteract governmental interference and those making minimum wage will once again be making minimum wage. It's a never ending, government created cycle.
Bull. I make 100K/year. Raising minimum wgae will not affect me, and then moving further up the ladder....
The highest paid hedge fund manager last year was Ray Dalio. He earned 3 billion dollars last year. The equivelant of almost 200,000 minimum wage workers. He will not in fact be getting a raise because minimum wage went from 7.25 to $10.10.

You also apparently completely ignore that inflation occurs despite minimum wage.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:

??? Who decided these are jobs that are meant for people who are entering the job market, and how then is it that 48 percent of minimum wage earners are 25 years of age of older?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:

The entire concept of supply control (zoning) is in direct opposition to the free market principles (not to mention property rights principles) that should be the basis of our economy.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:

A free market in housing and land use would substantially reduce political pressure to increase the minimum wage, because housing would be more affordable to those earning minimum wage.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Without a doubt the left is filled to the top with idiots and complete morons. Of course, the Democrats pick issues like this because people making minimum wages will vote for the Dems and are probably so low information they don't realize everything they think they gain will be lost in higher taxes and inflation.

You can't fix stupid.

Republicans should say why stop at $10.10? Lets go on up to $30, or $40....then the left gets their tax increase, and......they get the economic crash they are working for.

Watch as Congresswoman Proposes Unbelievably High Min Wage & Thinks There’s No Negative Consequences

It would be no different than when gasoline jumped from $1.50 a gallon, to $4 a gallon. Didn't cause any problems at all... None. (Sarcasm turned off now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies